Poetry has the power to inspire, provoke thought, and stir emotions. These poetry quotes offer insight and wisdom from some of the world’s most renowned poets, from Shakespeare to Maya Angelou.
- “Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility.” – William Wordsworth
- “Poetry is the language in which man explores his own amazement.” – Christopher Fry
- “A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom.” – Robert Frost
- “Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.” – Carl Sandburg
- “Poetry is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess about what is seen during the moment.” – Carl Sandburg
- “Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality.” – T.S. Eliot
- “Poetry is a way of taking life by the throat.” – Robert Frost
- “Poetry is an act of peace. Peace goes into the making of a poet as flour goes into the making of bread.” – Pablo Neruda
- “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” – T.S. Eliot
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
These poetry quotes offer a glimpse into the power and beauty of poetry, as well as the insights and wisdom that can be gained from reading and writing it. Whether you’re a seasoned poet or simply enjoy reading poetry, these quotes can inspire and encourage you to explore the world of words and emotions that poetry offers. So take a moment to savor these words, and let them inspire you to find your own voice and share your own unique perspective on life through the art of poetry.