Daily Anarchist Forum
October 27, 2021, 10:55:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Predictions?  (Read 29218 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:49 AM »

I've been a long-time lurker, but the question of why there aren't more female anarchists has lured me out to post for the first time and say hello.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I think (for me, at least) it may be because politics and economics are seen as male interests, and so women just aren't exposed to them in ways that include or interest them. Before I felt confident enough to start initiating or jumping into political conversations, I was never invited to join the conversation or asked my opinion, and I think that was a big factor. At some point, I learned my views (which consisted mostly of ideas gleamed from reading Ayn Rand) were compatible with libertarianism so I claimed that title, but it was another year before I looked up 'libertarian' on the internet, realized it wasn't just a political party, and learned about the NAP. I was introduced to an-cap by a friend but really didn't understand what it was; I had to go searching for the missing pieces mostly on my own without a clue of where to look. It took about a year for me to discover Mises, Rothbard, etc, learn the basics of economics, put it together with libertarian ideas, then make the leap to anarchy. It took a lot of reading and searching and thinking for my mind to begin to wrap around it all. Many people, especially women, don't even realize anarchy is an option (I remember the first time somebody told me the government should be abolished; I was already a minarchist but that statement was a lightning bolt that literally stunned me for a few moments). So perhaps the key to getting more women interested in anarchy is to simply start dialogue and include them into your conversations. Make it accessible, talk about the different viewpoints and how we are personally affected by them, etc. And don't forget to invite them to join the forum here; I've found it to be an intelligent and civilized one compared to most others and I think women would feel comfortable here, even if they choose to just lurk like I do.

Cheesy

Welcome to the forum!

You should read some intro posts.  The search for freedom is often a long lonely process.  It isn't just women who are not exposed to these things.  I don't think I have seen a post yet of anyone saying their parents taught them about ancap or freedom or libertarians even.  I still meet hostility by anyone I talk to about it.  

Gov school of course would rather it not exist.  It challenges their authority and paychecks.  Interestingly all my college econ classes had about 50% women students.  The classes were also very Keynsian.  Of course they didn't announce there were other options. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:08:40 AM by Syock » Logged

Rothbardian
Radical Libertarian

Abolish the State!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:14 AM »

Wow, Syock, you just made me think of something that is very good, radical, and powerful. Whatever the government can do, they will never have the power to take away our power to bestow knowledge upon our children. Anarcho-Capitalism is a new idea; but now we will always be capable of passing it down through future generations. Children have free will, so they might not adhere to the idea, but it gives us such greater chances.

Perhaps AnCaps should breed like Mormons. Grin

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »

Wow, Syock, you just made me think of something that is very good, radical, and powerful. Whatever the government can do, they will never have the power to take away our power to bestow knowledge upon our children. Anarcho-Capitalism is a new idea; but now we will always be capable of passing it down through future generations. Children have free will, so they might not adhere to the idea, but it gives us such greater chances.

Perhaps AnCaps should breed like Mormons. Grin

That leads back to the low number of ancap women.  hehe   

Rothbardian
Radical Libertarian

Abolish the State!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »

Ha, yeah. Cry AnCaps, forever alone:

But even just an Anarcho-Capitalist father could do some decent work. A non-anarchist mother inhibits the progress, but it would work OK. Better than no parental anarchist influence at all.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

I've been a long-time lurker, but the question of why there aren't more female anarchists has lured me out to post for the first time and say hello.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I think (for me, at least) it may be because politics and economics are seen as male interests, and so women just aren't exposed to them in ways that include or interest them. Before I felt confident enough to start initiating or jumping into political conversations, I was never invited to join the conversation or asked my opinion, and I think that was a big factor. At some point, I learned my views (which consisted mostly of ideas gleamed from reading Ayn Rand) were compatible with libertarianism so I claimed that title, but it was another year before I looked up 'libertarian' on the internet, realized it wasn't just a political party, and learned about the NAP. I was introduced to an-cap by a friend but really didn't understand what it was; I had to go searching for the missing pieces mostly on my own without a clue of where to look. It took about a year for me to discover Mises, Rothbard, etc, learn the basics of economics, put it together with libertarian ideas, then make the leap to anarchy. It took a lot of reading and searching and thinking for my mind to begin to wrap around it all. Many people, especially women, don't even realize anarchy is an option (I remember the first time somebody told me the government should be abolished; I was already a minarchist but that statement was a lightning bolt that literally stunned me for a few moments). So perhaps the key to getting more women interested in anarchy is to simply start dialogue and include them into your conversations. Make it accessible, talk about the different viewpoints and how we are personally affected by them, etc. And don't forget to invite them to join the forum here; I've found it to be an intelligent and civilized one compared to most others and I think women would feel comfortable here, even if they choose to just lurk like I do.

Cheesy

Welcome and thank you for sharing!

You mention how nobody ever asked your opinion. Come to think of it, I rarely ever ask anybody else's opinion, male or female. And I don't think I'm alone. Politics seems to be one of those things where everybody is trying to convert the other person.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »

I like to ask people their opinion when I am trying to convert them.  There will be something somewhere that we will have in common with almost everyone at least in concept.  It is good for building a connection to work from.  

I once asked someone what they wouldn't willingly pay for, and was answered NASA.  Then we were off to the races.  I talked about the Ansari X Prize and Scaled Composites being early cheaper private steps to replace NASA, and Boeing's Sea Launch that commonly sends commercial satellites into space. 

I really don't know of a better way to get through to people about any topic, be it political or personal issues, than simply asking. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:52:46 PM by Syock » Logged

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »

New Hampshire is coming up. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/5/santorum-gets-big-bounce-new-hampshire/?page=all

It is an improvement over the 60% Romney was getting a few days ago. 

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »

South Carolina Primary Predictions

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/?searchQuery=South+Carolina+Primary

It looks like the favorites are:

1) Romney
2) Gingrich
3) Gingrich/Santorum

EDIT:

Well I didn't know there was a debate, but all over the news is how RP was booed at for taking his stance against war.  It seems South Carolina wants to kill people.  Is this going to be a common trend?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:10:09 AM by Syock » Logged

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »

It seems South Carolina wants to kill people.  Is this going to be a common trend?
I'd bet on it.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Will

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »

They booed when he talked about applying the Golden Rule to military endeavors, but then they cheered when he talked about not starting any more wars. It was weird.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »

That is weird.  I wonder what thought process went on there.

Script

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

A crowd isn't an entity, it is a conglomeration of individuals. It's likely the cheers were from the dedicated Ron Paul supporters. I heard some boos mixed in worth the cheers.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »

http://reason.com/archives/2012/01/19/a-libertarian-democrat-considers-mitt-ro

Reason seems to be backing Romney. 

I was so disappointed a long time ago when I found out CATO supports a central bank.  Reason has let me down many times.  There are so few places worth turning to...

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »

http://reason.com/archives/2012/01/19/a-libertarian-democrat-considers-mitt-ro

Reason seems to be backing Romney. 

I was so disappointed a long time ago when I found out CATO supports a central bank.  Reason has let me down many times.  There are so few places worth turning to...

We're here for you.  Wink

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: