Daily Anarchist Forum
October 27, 2021, 11:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Iowa Caucus Predictions?  (Read 29235 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »

In fact I don't think I ever introduced myself as being either male gender or sex specifically. It seems to have been assumed, I guess maybe based on my male sounding nickname.

Eddy is short for Edward, a male name.

I get the idea that a lot of women might be around, but might be more comfortable in their anonymity.

I'm all for anonymity, but that doesn't change the fact that overall the liberty movement is about 10+:1 male to female.  If you attend any liberty oriented events you will see that.  I'm not just going with some wild assumptions.  Every time I have been to political events, you can find most of the males with one party, most of the females with another.  The different ideologies definitely appeal to different demographics.  

I tend to use "guys" as being gender neutral. By the way I suppose you mean woman as in sex (as opposed to gender)?

I don't really care about how many 'men' or 'women' we have on DA, just like I don't really care about how many 'african-americans' or 'Wasps' (hate those PC terms) we have or how many 'homosexuals'  or 'straight people' we have. The internet is the one place for me where I can talk to a person without having to first fight off my own prejudice.

The topic was about getting a date and not coming across as an insane person.  For all I know this stuff blows up going the other way too, but there is no feedback about that being an issue.  Due to the demographics of the liberty movement, it shouldn't be as big of an issue.  

I'll keep my biological sex hidden, because I don't really think its something we should care about here. Eventually some of you might find out when I come to NH Wink.

If you want to meet a female, try to bring one with you rather than meet one once your there.  Seriously...

hey now, I'm a lady!  However, maybe the theory of women more often being lefties because of their motherly nature is still true.  I've never been very lady like or motherly and I don't like kids.

I wasn't saying all women are lefties, but the numbers are certainly skewed that way.  It becomes painfully obvious at things like the porcupine festival in New Hampshire.  

Getting people to accept the difference between biological sex and gender is the next big challenge to overcome. We've made great progress with feminism and the LGBT movement, but theres still much work to do in overcoming sex based stereotypes.

I don't think this was about feminism.  It was about getting dates and developing more lasting relationships.  

An-cap is female repellent.  

I'm not sure. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. It's like telling people with a certain skin colour that they will have a hard life because of how racist the world is. Just by repeating it to them over and over you will make it true.

I don't repeat a thing.  I don't have to.  Politics is incredibly divisive.

I think this is why we still have so much racism, because we are looking for it everywhere, instead of letting it die alone in a corner.

I don't even know how you got to racism and feminism.  Were just looking for a way to make an appeal to a certain group of people that are underrepresented in our ranks.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:05:52 PM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »

hey now, I'm a lady!  However, maybe the theory of women more often being lefties because of their motherly nature is still true.  I've never been very lady like or motherly and I don't like kids.

Looking through the list of members the other day I did notice we have a handful of women, but the mouthiest among us are all men. I'm not too hung up on this fact. I'm sure the demographics around here will diversify in time.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

I guess I'd call myself somewhat neutral gender, mostly because I don't care much about traditional gender roles, my role is just to be me. 

I'm a bit of a quiet person, so I don't post too much, mostly lurk.  I've actually made more posts here than on any other forum I think.  I mostly started talking because my statist friends were driving me insane and I felt like a needed support and sanity... and I really like this board for that, even when I don't post, just reading all your posts is very comforting.   Anyway, thanks guys and gals for that!

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »

We're glad to have you, even when you're just lurking!

Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »

Getting people to accept the difference between biological sex and gender is the next big challenge to overcome. We've made great progress with feminism and the LGBT movement, but theres still much work to do in overcoming sex based stereotypes.

I don't think this was about feminism.  It was about getting dates and developing more lasting relationships.  

An-cap is female repellent.  

I'm not sure. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. It's like telling people with a certain skin colour that they will have a hard life because of how racist the world is. Just by repeating it to them over and over you will make it true.

I don't repeat a thing.  I don't have to.  Politics is incredibly divisive.

I think this is why we still have so much racism, because we are looking for it everywhere, instead of letting it die alone in a corner.

I don't even know how you got to racism and feminism.  Were just looking for a way to make an appeal to a certain group of people that are underrepresented in our ranks.  

I think were having a bit of a miscommunication here. I'm not saying you are racist or sexist. In fact, most of it wasn't a reply to anything you said.

I don't know how to re-write to post so it doesn't sound like I am attacking you. But I wasn't Tongue.
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »

Advocating a world of voluntary interaction works well with women. Women generally don't like guns or violence (insert biological reason here). An an-cap world would be far more peaceful. Economic reasons are a waste of time generally with that crowd tho.

I guarantee you that Phil Ochs didn't have a problem getting action. Different approach than most of us (and not an-cap per-se).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE</a>

Also what election? Ron who?

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

Advocating a world of voluntary interaction works well with women. Women generally don't like guns or violence (insert biological reason here). An an-cap world would be far more peaceful. Economic reasons are a waste of time generally with that crowd tho.

I guarantee you that Phil Ochs didn't have a problem getting action. Different approach than most of us (and not an-cap per-se).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE</a>

What about the 'peaceful parenting' thing? Wouldn't that work well with those of the female gender role? I think we need to put more spotlights on the compassionate side of anarcho-capitalism in general, this works well with all humans.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »

The guy was a musician. He could have sung about torturing kittens and he probably would have gotten the same amount of action.

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

On the ladies topic:

In the past year or so, I've had three girls ask me about my political inclinations while on a date (that's right, they brought it up, not me) and I answered, "Oh, I'm an anarchist."
Don't do this.

I then gave them a brief description of NAP
Don't do this.

and told them about the difference between capitalists and syndicalists to clear up the media misconceptions.
Don't do this.

Then they stopped returning my phone calls...
No surprise here.

I might be doing something wrong, how do you recommend ice breaking this?
Just grin and ask whether she's supposed to bring up these subjects on a first date. Then tell her it's her job to piece it together over time (I'm NOT suggesting you leave behind any major hints though). My advice is to make sure you don't answer this question. Don't say anarchist, don't even say libertarian. You can't "reveal" this part of yourself until much much later. Say nothing on the subject. Redirect the conversation, and don't give in. You aren't going to lose any points for refusing to answer this question, and it might even help you, since it keeps you from giving away too much information up front.

It's hard because anarchism may be an important part of your identity, and you may want to share it, but you have to be realistic and recognize that there are times and places that aren't suitable. Of course, if you strike gold and find someone who tells you she is a market anarchist (don't hold your breath), feel free to wow her with your own speculation on the functioning of an anarchist society. Good luck.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
helio

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »

I told my gf the second night we talked.  I told her i was a voluntaryist and didnt use any technical terms like coercion non agression principle or anythng.

so dont impose any hard rules on what to do because it depends on the girl.  my gf and i are doing great. She has alot of common ground and exploring those common areas made it easier to share that with her.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
Script

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

From what I gather there are a couple libertarian leaning Republicans running for the nomination: "Ron" and "Paul".  I still haven't learned what their last names are yet.  Pretty popular with fanatical fans.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »

I told my gf the second night we talked.  I told her i was a voluntaryist and didnt use any technical terms like coercion non agression principle or anythng.

so dont impose any hard rules on what to do because it depends on the girl.  my gf and i are doing great. She has alot of common ground and exploring those common areas made it easier to share that with her.

You are a very lucky guy.  That is very rare.  

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »

From what I gather there are a couple libertarian leaning Republicans running for the nomination: "Ron" and "Paul".  I still haven't learned what their last names are yet.  Pretty popular with fanatical fans.

Is their last name "Millerus?" I have heard of that guy before.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
ThinkAnarchy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »

Well they just released the new Iowa Registry poll and all I could see was the headline. I'm guessing the server is overwhelmed right now from people flooding it. But the headline said Santorum is still surging, Mitt Romney is in the lead, and both Santorum and Paul are still within striking distance.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »

RP got slammed in the local paper today. Not sure if it was one of those that gets reprinted around the country or not. I briefly skimmed it. Complaints about those old newsletters of his that are supposed to be racist.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: