Daily Anarchist Forum
August 15, 2022, 08:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: College Education?  (Read 4441 times)
Will

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »

A little background: Iíve been homeschooled my entire life, and for the past two years Iíve spent a good deal of time on doing online college courses for duel-credit. Iím a programmer and an artist and Iíve always assumed the next logical step for me was to go to college to further my education. A whole lot of my time in high school was poured into this goal. However, given my recent intellectual awakening and after going through yet another week of soul-crushing finals, Iím beginning to question that goal. Are all this time, money, and stress worth it for the sheet of paper they give you at the end?

The North vs. Block debate was quite interesting, but also quite narrow. Neither the study of economics nor earning a PhD has any relevance to me. I guess my question than is this, how do you guys feel about college education? Worth it or a waste? Viable in the short term? Long term? Neither?

It is so strange to look back and reanalyze my life through this new paradigm that Iíve adopted. Just two months out and things that were once so certain, so very important just donít seem to matter anymore.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:10:43 AM »

There are a few professions that require a degree.  If your goal is one of them of course you don't have a choice.  There are a few professions that are relatively inexpensive and pay off well with a college degree such as engineering.  Most of the degrees available though do not meet cost/benefit ratios anymore.  The governments student loan program has caused a huge jump in college tuition prices.   If you can get a scholarship, go for a degree.  If you want to work for yourself, forget college.  You would be better served through self education.  

What are your goals?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:14:50 AM by Syock » Logged

Will

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:40 AM »

I guess that's something I have to figure out. Something along the lines of computer science. I've had quite a bit of experience with web and application development, as well as graphic design.

I've never had much of an entrepreneurial spirit, but the more I learn about economics and the way things are headed, the more that is starting to change.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »

I've done some work in that field (a lot of fields hehe).  There are very diverse paths you can follow.  You said your a programmer.  You could start working with that right now.  I've heard it is the worst spot to get stuck in, within the IT field though.  With that set you just listed, maybe you could join a game developer or google.  If they like your work they shouldn't care about the college. 

If you were planning on going to college, there was likely some specific job it would be grooming you for, as that is really all schools do.  They literally work with large companies to figure out what exactly they want to teach people for entry level jobs.  From what I understand a lot of IT jobs are leaving India and returning to the home countries of companies.  That would be tech support most likely.  That sounds like it would be a waste of your creative talents though. 

Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:10:15 AM »

I would say don't waste your money going to college.  My husband is a programmer and he learned everything he knows because he loved it so much he taught himself.  If you aren't good enough at it or love it enough to teach yourself that particular subject, I believe you will end up stuck in a lowly support type job. 

I am an artist and i took 3 years of community college.  For the first year I majored in art, learned some basics, realized a degree in art was silly, so by my second year I switched my major to psychology because i felt it was much more interesting and something that one might actually need college for.  However, it was all pretty much pointless.  I had plenty of credits for an AA degree, but decided that although I found psychology to be interesting (especially research psychology), I just never could see myself being a psychologist. I never even did the paperwork to get the degree.  I'm an artist now but I'm not sad that I didn't go to art school. Fine arts really don't require a degree at all, just practice. I don't do computer graphics too often as a job because I just don't like to, but I often try to keep my skills up at it just in case because it is a lot more valuable $ wise than fine arts usually.  It's really not too hard to teach yourself how to use photoshop and such these days, there are many resources on the internet.

I've always felt the idea that every body should go to college to be a really terrible sham that needlessly puts many people into debt.  I'm glad I only went to community college and didn't get myself into debt.   When it comes down to it, employers will always put experience above a degree, they really don't care how you got your skills, they only care what skills you have, especially with programming and art. 
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »

I studied physics at a highly ranked school for physics and did undergrad research. It made my ego at the time nice and huge, but I dropped out with less than 30 semester credits to go. I dropped out for several reasons at the time, but since then I've become an anarchist and realize now how much of a waste of money it was. It wasn't a waste because I dropped out, it was a waste because I realize now how much I want nothing to do with the state. As a physicist you have pretty much two choices, work directly for the state or one of its corporations. I'll take neither, thank you.

I won't go so far as to say that I regret having gone to school, but if I could do it over again I would take the tens of thousands of dollars I spent on school and invest it in an agorist business.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »

That's funny you mention that.  When I was in college I did some astrophysics research and was sent by my college to a conference to present my work.  When I got there I was so disgusted by the NASA guys complaining about not being able to get more stolen money.  I found that nearly everyone there was employed directly by the government and they all wanted more stolen money for this project or that.  Then there were the government contractors peddling their wares to government researchers. 

That whole system is so messed up. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »

Those fools don't deserve my talents. That's not to say I'm gifted or anything. But I think I would make a fine physicist. If I can gain employment in the underground as a physicist, then I'll go for that all day. But until then, I'm John Galting it.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »

I have no doubt there would be need for physicists outside government work.  Unfortunately companies can go to professors and get them to do research for them or pick up work that was already done on the governments dime.   I don't think a free market for physicists work will happen without a big change in the educational system. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: