Daily Anarchist Forum
August 18, 2019, 12:23:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Somalia  (Read 2786 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:51:39 PM »

This was written about the time between US funded/led invasions into Somalia and the before/after effects of their start into an anarchy society.  I read it years ago and I think you all might be the first people I have met that would actually appreciate seeing it. 

http://www.independent.org/pdf/working_papers/64_somalia.pdf

There is of course currently a US funded invasion by Ethiopia in an attempt to install a government.  The first attempt caused Somalia to gather under warlords.  The most recent attempt also coincided with the sudden rise of Somalia pirates.  War funding anyone? 

Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:34:39 AM »

This was written about the time between US funded/led invasions into Somalia and the before/after effects of their start into an anarchy society.  I read it years ago and I think you all might be the first people I have met that would actually appreciate seeing it.  

http://www.independent.org/pdf/working_papers/64_somalia.pdf

There is of course currently a US funded invasion by Ethiopia in an attempt to install a government.  The first attempt caused Somalia to gather under warlords.  The most recent attempt also coincided with the sudden rise of Somalia pirates.  War funding anyone?  

Yes, and then the governments argue that these warlords and pirates are the natural result of a nation without government...

We had an interesting front-page article about this recently.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »

I always find it amusing when outside government officials, who have never even been there or talked to the people, can speculate on reasons and be taken as fact. 

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

Authors to look up for info on Somalia: Peter Little (for his book). Peter Leeson (for some of the best articles I've read on the subject).

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Has anyone ever looked into other examples anarchy?  From what I understand, the ancient Celts were formed around a tribal legal organization, and were highly capitalistic.  They are known to have had active trade with most of the world and a complex internal trade network on a scale that would be called multinational.  

Supposedly the reason why Rome went after them so aggressively was to squire their wealth to pay their soldiers, who would only accept gold as payment, rather than their form of fiat currency that the citizens were forced to use near the end of the Roman empire.

I believe Hong Kong has given a nice example of what an improvement in life even minarchism is over current models as well. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:52:41 PM by Syock » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: