Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: T-shirts I've designed  (Read 4012 times)
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »

Hey everyone here is a link to a catalog of T-shirts I have designed. While some of them are simply slight modifications of existing shirts.....I figured I could order a bunch, and sell them for cash to make a profit. http://www.teemixer.com/user-catalog/19141

Check out the shirts and tell me what you guys think. I'll be designing a lot more too.

Anarcho/Infowarrior
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

haha I take it you liked those shirts?

bastiat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

Generally quite amusing. Ironically, the two I liked the most, I would not feel comfortable wearing due to the language used.
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:22:09 AM »

Generally quite amusing. Ironically, the two I liked the most, I would not feel comfortable wearing due to the language used.

I am assuming the ones containing the word 'shit'. I always find it rather amusing that 'shit' could be considered profane. Being Dutch I can never understand how any word for excrement could be considered profane. I guess that is mostly because no word meaning excrement is considered profane in Dutch, maybe only slightly vulgar.

In fact, the most profane words are almost always derogatory terms (hoer/whore) or diseases (kanker/cancer) and genetalia are popular too (kut/cunt). It might be strange for Anglophones, but 'cancer' is considered to be at the top of profanity here* and probably compares to 'fuck' in English. It's considered exceptionally harmful/insulting here because it might emotionally harm people that have family who have died from or suffer from it.

I know the weight Anglophones attach to words like 'shit' and 'fuck', but for me they are just slightly vulgar. It's interesting how different languages evolved in that regard, and how literally translating swear words almost never works.

It might also have something to do with the fact that I don't really care about words being 'vulgar' or 'profane' but more about meaning/intent. For me there is a huge difference if something is meant as an insult or just as an exclamation, words are simply tools of communication. When someone utters 'fuck' loudly then it is clear that they are showing their dissatisfaction with something that just happened or is happening, but when they say 'fuck you' it is clear that they are insulting you.

* even this is regionally dependent, in the "the Hague" area for example it is overused and more accepted.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:30:11 AM by EddyK » Logged
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »

Can you give us some examples where "cancer" is used in a sentence?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »

Can you give us some examples where "cancer" is used in a sentence?

Almost exactly the same as 'fuck' is used in English. It can be used positivily as well.

That was fucking good food. - Dat was kanker lekker eten. (kankerlekker is normally a contracted word, I've left it separate for clarity) *
Fuck off - Opkankeren
Fucking whore - kankerhoer*
Fuck! - Kanker!*
Quit the bitching - Stop met kankeren
You fucker - Jij kankerlijer (kankerlijer = cancer sufferer)*

* You can also replace cancer with another disease in these cases:

'tering lekker eten' (tuberculosis good food), 'teringhoer' (tuberculosis whore), jij 'teringlijer' (you tuberculosis sufferer) or just 'tering' (tuberculosis)

Wikipedia has a pretty good list actually

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »

Interesting.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Script

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:16:23 AM »

Wow, thats so fascinating. I love languages and the cultural differences they reveal.  "Dat was kankerlekken eten" is going to be my new favorite phrase.
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:27 AM »

Wow, thats so fascinating. I love languages and the cultural differences they reveal.  "Dat was kankerlekken eten" is going to be my new favorite phrase.

Even though I am absolutely terrible at learning new languages, I do find the cultural implications of them fascinating. It would greatly improve communication if everyone on the planet spoke the same language, but I do hope that lots of the unique expressions of different languages and cultures survive into the inevitable "world" language". Some languages just have expressions that are completely unique to that language and don't translate well. usually they require an understanding of the local culture to "get it".

I do think that regional/cultural flair will always exist even if we all spoke the same language. Just look at how many forms of English there are and how much expressions differ in different regions. Even here in a small country like the Netherlands you can drive 10km and they will have a completely different accent and unique expressions.

I'm extremely opposed to people trying to centralize and control the evolution of language, I feel it should be something that needs to evolve naturally. I don't really care about spelling or speaking "proper"  English, language is about communication and sharing ideas. As long as we get our ideas across then language has served its purpose.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:19:41 AM by EddyK » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: