Daily Anarchist Forum
October 18, 2019, 04:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feels like I'm losing my sanity  (Read 7849 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »

I just signed up specifically because of this post.  I know I am not saying anything that hasn't already been said.  This is an important topic though.  I have seen a friend go through this as I taught them about my views and whats going on out there.  Unfortunately she took it really hard and withdrew for a long time.  Finals are a pain enough for most people without the weight of the world on their shoulders too. 

I went through this a long time ago as well.  As others have said, once you know whats going on, there is little reason to keep reading about it every day.  So many people are going to keep doing all these destructive things.  You just need to come to grips with the fact that alone you can't change it.  So the news tomorrow is going to be more or less the same as it has been.  The best thing you can do is probably find something to laugh about.  Watch your favorite comedian.  Maybe your school has some improv. group?  It is such a change from what your going through that it should be a good stress release.  Just do whatever it takes to get your mind off of the world for awhile.

Once you come back to it, try to develop a sense of humor about the irony of it all if you can.  I pretty much gave up looking at what the world was up to for a few years.  To no surprise it didn't change course while I ignored it.  It just all becomes so repetitive after awhile, especially if you look at whats happened in history compared to now.  I still drop it for half a year and just catch up in a week and let it go again.  It is just not worth watching the daily slow motion train wreck.   

When you understand this stuff you can kind of predict the future and use it to your advantage.  It can give you a real leg up in protecting money you make from inflation, and allow you to properly plan for what ever may come along in life.  I used it to move my money into and out of bubbles and busts for years, making and saving lots of money just from moving money at the right time or starting and closing businesses at the right time.

To other posters...  Trying to teach others is so incredibly difficult.  Everyone wants to come to conclusions on their own, and feel like they are right.  It seems a fair number of people that get here on their own were kind of born with the mentality for it, and it just took exposure to the fact that it had a name out there to make it all come together.  It may well be that way for the other viewpoints out there as well, and they won't give that up any easier than you would give this up. 

If they have believed in the state their entire life, it can easily take years if it happens at all.  Some people can get there if you ask them the questions and ask for logical answers that leads themselves to it. (Note that it will also piss off a lot of people if they realize your guiding them.)  Others find the bad side behind their way acceptable and necessary.  It is kind of scary when it is someone you care about.  Others just don't care enough to go through the process of talking about it. 

I have been working on my father for a good 10 years now and he is still not there.  The talk radio I have been trying to get him off of is my constant enemy.  I offered replacements that would help, but he likes his station.

The religion issue is even worse to disagree over in my opinion.  That is a whole different mess to deal with.

Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14:48 AM »

I just signed up specifically because of this post.  I know I am not saying anything that hasn't already been said.  This is an important topic though.  I have seen a friend go through this as I taught them about my views and whats going on out there.  Unfortunately she took it really hard and withdrew for a long time.  Finals are a pain enough for most people without the weight of the world on their shoulders too. 

When I found out I started neglecting some things at work because I became a bit obsessed, you need to get over that ASAP. Accept it as it is and drop it for a while, try to weave your beliefs into your life slowly and don't let it take it over all at once.

To other posters...  Trying to teach others is so incredibly difficult.  Everyone wants to come to conclusions on their own, and feel like they are right.  It seems a fair number of people that get here on their own were kind of born with the mentality for it, and it just took exposure to the fact that it had a name out there to make it all come together.  It may well be that way for the other viewpoints out there as well, and they won't give that up any easier than you would give this up. 

You can't convert people with your will alone, eventually they need to accept the ideas themselves. All you can do is get them started and answer any questions they have along the way. If they don't get there by themselves then they never will. Perhaps if the idea is widespread enough it will be easier to accept.

The religion issue is even worse to disagree over in my opinion.  That is a whole different mess to deal with.

Religion isn't much of an issue IMO. Organised religion/church is the biggest issue, and they have already lost much of their power. When people independently reach their faith then they usually don't take what the church says for granted. I don't find a person that is ruled by god to be dangerous, because I don't believe in god and in my eyes he is just being ruled by his imagination, so by himself.

Its the group think in religion that is dangerous as it is in statism. But in these times the group think seems more prevalent among statist then it is among religion.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:09 AM »

Religion isn't much of an issue IMO. Organised religion/church is the biggest issue, and they have already lost much of their power. When people independently reach their faith then they usually don't take what the church says for granted. I don't find a person that is ruled by god to be dangerous, because I don't believe in god and in my eyes he is just being ruled by his imagination, so by himself.

Its the group think in religion that is dangerous as it is in statism. But in these times the group think seems more prevalent among statist then it is among religion.

I was thinking more of a personal level on the religion issue, as previous posts were of a personal nature.

The problem I have seen is that people that are all in with religion are willing to completely accept it despite all evidence or reasoning to the contrary.  That is kind of the definition required for belief behind it all.  Fossils can turn into "evidence created by scientists to continue their funding."  That was a line provided by an ex-girlfriend. 

I wouldn't call them any more dangerous than the average person, but the problem comes in with disagreements between friends and family.  When your the odd one out because your an unbeliever, your own choice which they see as odd as you see theirs, can become a powerful alienating factor for everyone involved.  They may well find it their job to convert you as well.  It is like when church people knock on your door to teach you about Jesus, but they happen to live with you too.  It doesn't end. 

If I walk into an office of a potential client or supplier, and they have little angle figurines up I will stand there while they pray and play along.  I know that if I didn't, I could very well lose business over it.  I would be untrustworthy in their eyes if I didn't.

It is a lot like the evil eye I get from thousands of people if I don't show respect to the flag when someone sings a certain song.

It is easy to become the bad guy for your beliefs even if they harm no one. 

Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »

I agree with you for the most part in your arguments EddyK, however, this line you wrote scares me a little: 

"I don't find a person that is ruled by god to be dangerous, because I don't believe in god and in my eyes he is just being ruled by his imagination, so by himself."

To see the reason it scares me... replace the word "god"  with  "the state".  People being ruled by their imagination IS dangerous. The state, at it's core, is imaginary. Belief in something that is imaginary will only result in failure in my opinion because it simply is not true.   That being said, I am an atheist and I don't give christian anarchists a hard time about their Christianity because (despite their belief in something imaginary) they tend to be people that see the value in critical thinking, and hopefully, that means they are willing to teach their children how to think not what to think. Though, to be honest, I don't think that's gonna make for too many more Christians if they do not force their children to believe in god (which is fine with me).   Having not had religion forced upon me as a child, I ended up deciding that religion seems ridiculous and completely unnecessary, maybe even inherently counterproductive (depending on what the particular religious beliefs are) when it comes to being a good, moral, happy person.  All in all I don't understand religion at all or why people like it so much. 

And i truly feel empathy for you Syock.  BIG cheers for you for sticking to your individuality despite such overwhelming odds!  We all knows what that feels like somewhat just by being anarchists, since it's not the most popular viewpoint to take. I tend to feel that way a lot because I've always been a bit of a weirdo.  I take pride in my individuality/uniqueness and that gives me comfort but yeah, it's certainly not easy sometimes when it's seems like the whole world is against you.
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »

I agree with you for the most part in your arguments EddyK, however, this line you wrote scares me a little:  

"I don't find a person that is ruled by god to be dangerous, because I don't believe in god and in my eyes he is just being ruled by his imagination, so by himself."

To see the reason it scares me... replace the word "god"  with  "the state".  People being ruled by their imagination IS dangerous. The state, at it's core, is imaginary. Belief in something that is imaginary will only result in failure in my opinion because it simply is not true.

I see your point, but there is a big difference between the state and god. The state is necessarily a collective imagination, many people have to believe in it. God on the other hand is something that is very personal, at least for anarchist Christians. They don't let churches or others tell them about god, but listen to him directly. But because I don't believe in god, I see it as listening to themselves: They are in full control of what god tells them to do. I see it as them deciding what to do, based on feelings they describe as "god" or "prayer". I just view god as a personification of a theists morality, if their interpretation of god is consistent with the NAP then there is no need for theism to conflict with anarchism.

This is what I meant when I said that I don't see any danger in individualist theism. I just see the church as another form of government. Belief in god is not collectivist, belief in the church is.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:00:44 PM by EddyK » Logged
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »

yeah, I kinda knew what you meant, but it just seemed best to let you clarify a bit more Wink  Well put, I agree!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: