Daily Anarchist Forum
July 16, 2019, 02:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Feels like I'm losing my sanity  (Read 7556 times)
Anarcho/Infowarrior
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:36:39 AM »

Guys,

I need your help with a personal manner. For the past day or two, I feel like I've been losing my cool and sense of ease. I feel anxious, nervous, and as I've said in another post, I've been having trouble sleeping. The stress of what's happening in the world (and the fact that I have final exams next week) seems to be getting to me, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I've got my family for support, and God knows I love them deeply, but I find these feelings just won't go away. Has anyone else here ever felt like this, and if so, how did you cope?
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »

Ironic how going sane makes one feel... insane.  That happens to me all the time. The problem seems so big it tends to be overwhelming.  I find it especially disturbing when people I care about won't even listen or consider anarchy.   It's like me saying 'hey, did you realize you are pointing a gun at me!?' and they basically say 'I don't care!'  which can hurt, deeply.  Personally it helps me to realize nearly everyone has been manipulated and brainwashed by this insanity because it's eeeeeverywhere, but I made it out, so can they.  All you can do sometimes is do your best to plant the seed and hope it grows at some point.  In general I feel happier being an anarchist though because before, all I knew is there was something terribly wrong with the world, I just didn't know what it was.  That sense of confusion would cause a sense of hopelessness because if you can't figure out the problem in the first place you can't hope to fix it or make it any better.   Now that I'm an anarchist, at least I feel like I know what the problem is now, and recognizing the problem is the first step to fixing it!  So now I feel there is some hope at least!
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »

also I would like to add, the longer you are an anarchist, I believe the happier and less stressed out you will find yourself to be.  I think it's because over time you will realize how inevitable anarchy seems due to the fact that it is based on reason.  The more you talk to statists, the more you realize they are only full of weak excuses so eventually it will become obvious to them as well.
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »

Try being raised in AND raising a statist/religious family (26, 23, 20, 18 years old), and then realizing both views are wrong (because it gives someone else authority over me, uses/threatens force, etc.) and having all family think I'm crazy.  Whenever I bring up anything 'anti' religious/state they shut me down.  I understand your stress.

I've coped by finding a group of like minded people (most with at least one statist and/or religious spouse, parents, children) to hang out with and discuss.  We meet every week or two just to BS and de-stress.
Anarcho/Infowarrior
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »

Well, this has nothing to do with my beliefs, but the negatives of the outside world (debt, wars, etc.).
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »

Try being raised in AND raising a statist/religious family (26, 23, 20, 18 years old), and then realizing both views are wrong (because it gives someone else authority over me, uses/threatens force, etc.) and having all family think I'm crazy.  Whenever I bring up anything 'anti' religious/state they shut me down.  I understand your stress.

I've coped by finding a group of like minded people (most with at least one statist and/or religious spouse, parents, children) to hang out with and discuss.  We meet every week or two just to BS and de-stress.

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. You were raised statist/religious, then you went on to father four children and raise them all statist/religious, and then after they've all grown up you converted to anarchist/non-religious and now your whole family thinks you've gone bonkers? Whoa, that's heavy duty!

What was it that converted you, and can you get your family to check these things out as well?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »

Guys,

I need your help with a personal manner. For the past day or two, I feel like I've been losing my cool and sense of ease. I feel anxious, nervous, and as I've said in another post, I've been having trouble sleeping. The stress of what's happening in the world (and the fact that I have final exams next week) seems to be getting to me, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I've got my family for support, and God knows I love them deeply, but I find these feelings just won't go away. Has anyone else here ever felt like this, and if so, how did you cope?

From my personal experience, going to University is the most difficult time in one's life, if you take it seriously that is. Most people go to college to party, but for certain people you're not only going to school 8 hours per day, you're living on less than nutritious food, living with roommates, spending all of your home time studying and doing homework, and on the weekends, any time you spend NOT doing homework you feel guilty, like you should be doing homework instead.

I used to pride myself on my work ethic when in college, until I realized that half of the other kids in class were popping Adderall in order to skip eating and sleeping in order to make it through the semester. And then it dawned on me how unsustainable and unrealistic the whole school life is. Route memorization and regurgitation is not how the real world works.

Couple this epiphany with my understanding of economics, and I've come to view the university system as total and absolute bullshit that wouldn't exist at all like it does today without government regulations and subsidies.

If you're unhappy in school, you probably should be.

Pygar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

I think I have some understanding of what you're going through; I would imagine most people here do.  It's a natural consequence of coming to see the world as it is rather than through the comfortable, deadening fog of delusion.

The May 1969 issue of Playboy magazine had a great short story by Arthur Koestler called "The Chimeras," in which a patient shows up a at psychiatrist's office wanting, not to be cured, but to acquire the same blind spot that allows everyone else to go about their daily lives without seeing that everyone around them is a monster--a chimera.  At the end of the story we learn, of course, that the patient wasn't really crazy, and that everyone else really was a monster.  I've thought many times since then that the story is a good allegory for the discomfort any aware person faces in our world.

As to how I handle it, I would divide that into two classes:  long and short term.  Long term, I try to cultivate an optimistic (but realistic) attitude, and do what I can to educate people around me and to prepare myself for what the future might hold.    Over time I try to arrange my life to maximize my peace of mind.  This is an ongoing project and I still have some setbacks, but over time I can see that I've made a lot of progress.  Lastly, I work to keep a sense of humor about things.

Short term, when things seem overwhelming or the idiots in power do something particularly reprehensible, I may go on a news diet for a few days.  Watch cartoons, go to an art museum, go hiking, shoot some guns, whatever.  Everybody has something that helps them relax, those are mine.  I'm sure you have yours. 

I hope this helps.  Although we've never met, I can say without reservation that I wish you the best of luck. 

Pygar

Anarcho/Infowarrior
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

^This is the answer that I'm looking for, and I think you're absolutely right. Alex, Lew, etc.--they're all starting to get to me. The negativity is driving me off the walls, and I really can't stand it.

For the next week or two, don't expect any news from me at all. Expect posts, but not news.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

^This is the answer that I'm looking for, and I think you're absolutely right. Alex, Lew, etc.--they're all starting to get to me. The negativity is driving me off the walls, and I really can't stand it.

For the next week or two, don't expect any news from me at all. Expect posts, but not news.

I had quit going to LRC for several months after I converted to AnCap. I think LRC does a great job at converting people, but it doesn't help them get out of the trap once they've figured it out. It's just soul grinding. That's the reason I created this website. Sure, it has its element of showing people another way, but I think the real heart and soul of Daily Anarchist is helping to equip people with the tools necessary to regain independence.

The question I keep asking myself is "what can I do about it?" It's why I love to publish things that are proactive, like encrypting your communications, or getting set up with Bitcoin, or moving to New Hampshire, etc.

Dwelling on the problem is just depressing for somebody who is already fully aware that there IS a problem.

Anarcho/Infowarrior
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »

^I have done quite a bit for the proverbial "shit hitting the fan". I haven't just wept in front of my computer all day and done nothing about it.

And I wouldn't say that LRC doesn't do anything. They've had quite a few great articles on preparation over the past few months. Marc Slavo has had a lot of great information posted.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

@ Anarcho/Infowarrior

poxodd mentioned time.

I think that the novelty of anarchism will stay with you for a while, and it will build up and consume a lot of your time. And eventually, you'll settle down and establish a new equilibrium. But yes, having the world turned upside down, and having something you worshiped your whole live exposed as a monster....well....it's a pretty exciting time. Try to stay off Alex Jones and Lew Rockwell etc for the next week or two. Hell, maybe even stay away from here for a while (not that we don't want you around, but you need to study!!!).

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »

@ Anarcho/Infowarrior

poxodd mentioned time.

I think that the novelty of anarchism will stay with you for a while, and it will build up and consume a lot of your time. And eventually, you'll settle down and establish a new equilibrium. But yes, having the world turned upside down, and having something you worshiped your whole live exposed as a monster....well....it's a pretty exciting time. Try to stay off Alex Jones and Lew Rockwell etc for the next week or two. Hell, maybe even stay away from here for a while (not that we don't want you around, but you need to study!!!).

This is true. JSNTS has been known to disappear from Daily Anarchist few a couple weeks at a time while he gets his affairs in order. He is in equilibrium. If you need to study, study. We'll still be here when you're done.

nhwulf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »

Anarcho/Infowarrior . I can relate to how you feel, as can most others here. (I assume) When things get to stressfull I try to just walk away from what is not immediately nessasary, to work on what is. In the end, when you get to the end of your rope, you can choose to put a tire swing or a noose. Dont hang yourself over the worlds insanity. Keeping self control is equally important as relinquishing control over others, even when they are the crazy ones.
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 05:50:33 AM »

Turn off Alex Jones.

Read Boundaries of Order.

Enjoy what is good in life. Enjoy what is, don't mourn over what is not.

As David Icke says: Infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion. Or as my griefier / trolling friend says: Infinite lulz is the only truth ... either way makes life a lot more fun!

YMMV.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: