Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2019, 03:51:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's an anarchist to do ?  (Read 4687 times)
Doodoobrains

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »

Anarchists hate the government right? Well what can be done to overthrow it? I mean like right now, this very moment what is the best course of action for an anarchist to take? In a first world country with heavy surveillance I mean all of you reading this are probably on a "list" SOMEWHERE, don't even deny that. So what can you do that would make actually progress and not get you indefinitely detained or droned?
What about in a country like Honduras where violence is a daily fact of life. Should an anarchist start a movement? Violent or non-violent? Kill the gangsters or target the government? Be violent and begin a guerrilla insurgency? Avoid violence and just argue on the internet about abstract anarchist theories? Or avoid violence and protest and make posters and all that jazz?
Mr.Mister

True Capitalism is a Hellish road to Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »

It's true that we're heavily spied on, but that doesn't mean we can't counter-spy the government. I mean, think about it: the Snowden revelations and Wikileaks have both done a very good job revealing disgraceful information about the state, which harms the government's little remaining rep. An ancap should NEVER resort to violence in a protest unless the state employs an aggressive riot crackdown FIRST (remember:Non Aggression Principle = Golden Ancap Pillar).

There's also agorism, which is basically mass participation in the black market economy in order to eventually reduce the government to almost nothing (this happens when the black market swallows the mainstream market and less people begin to rely on government services). Tax evasion on a wide scale can also do wonders in killing the state, though this is just as risky as agorism and should only be done if you know how to avoid getting caught.

Another ancap method is currency secession, which is basically less and less people using USD and more and more people using private forms of exchange such as gold, silver, bitcoin, and Liberty Dollars. This loosens the Federal Reserve's tight grip on people rather enormously....which is why they're so hostile to currencies like Bitcoin. Nevertheless, a very viable method.

In the end, however, if we want to refrain from being called hypocrites, we must be strictly peaceful (unlike the ancoms in the Occupy movement who would smash the windows of small businesses). Please take note, however, that collapsing the government will be a very gradual, slow process. We can't just dismantle it today and live without it tomorrow! That would just result in chaos and disorder. What we're advocating is for a different form of order to replace the current one PEACEFULLY and VOLUNTARILY...no matter how long it takes.

I'd describe anarchy as an evolutionary process, not a revolutionary one. The sad truth is that most of society today isn't ready for it, but people will become smarter, technology will advance, and, well...the rest will be history.
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »

I sincerely doubt that a violent overthrow of the government is going to work unless you have an organization with a *lot* of resources avaiable--and if such an organization exists, the government's already spying on them.  Some kind of sneaky, deceptive, or technological overthrow is only feasible if you've got some really good experts and a truly brilliant plan. Alas, my expertise is limited, as is my genius, but I don't know about you. 

I think one of the best things we can do is to undermine the legitimacy of government, and incorporate anarchist ideas in society and culture.  Some people are smart enough to understand the ideas and be unconventional, but many people will simply follow the prevailing culture that they're immersed in, and go with the flow.  Become a writer of television, film, or even fictional novels or comics. 

Or engage in a service or business to help people bypass government hangups and encourage independent thinking.  Be a lawyer that helps poeple, or be part of a private mediation and arbitration services.  Be a teacher at a private school.  Get involved in a freedom-oriented think tank. 

Become a doctor who takes cash payments instead of accepting insurance.   Become a computer programmer, and/or network admin or web developer, and develop programs and systems to protect privacy, anonymity, and online security.

Or, if your expertise isn't that great, you can always be an assistant or clerk or some other support position for one of the above people or organizations. 

Naturally, much of this involves a lot of personal and financial risk, and I have no idea how risk-averse your personality may be.  Sometimes it seems like all you want to do is find a job, any job, to pay the bills and spend your free time ignoring all the crap in the world.  In other words, you need to get to know yourself pretty well and find out how much you're really willing to do, to learn, to experience, if  you're going to go out and try to change the world.  Otherwise  you'll find out that the world is quite willing and able to change you, instead.

So the first step is to do some personal and professional exploration, and figure out just how you can most effectively impact the world. 

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

I think we should get rid of the NAP. A maybe deontology too..

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »

Why?  You want to initiate force?

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:28:50 AM »

Why?  You want to initiate force?

It's not that I want to initiate force I'm just not seeing a solution to social issues where force is never called upon. As a legal precept for a court it's one thing. As a tactical doctrine it's retarded.

Then again there are many interpretations of the NAP so I suppose it depends on what you mean when you say it.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Phuein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »

I regularly ask myself about this. "How can I be free?"

I don't ask about defeating fascists, the gov', specifically. If fighting the fascists is a losing game, which it seems to be, then the best strategy is to not play it. It's like facing a force of nature - a tornado... Unless I have some really cool tech', the best move is to prepare for it, avoid it, and live it out.

So, I try to figure out, like in a game of Weiqi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECcsSeRcNo#t=135), how to increase my liberties.  Smiley Which is rather personal, depends on the country, and economic situation, and so forth.

However, I do wonder about the best tactics for fending off fascists. Fascists are akin to flies; you want to get rid of their disturbances, but you don't want to waste all your time on it, losing focus from more important things. I jokingly told a friend once, "If flies have an electric trap that efficiently solves the problem, then I wonder what is the trap for fascists."  Tongue

http://www.AssafKoss.com  [A narrated blog.]
rothbardgroupie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »

http://www.intentionalworldview.com/Recommended+Sites#Implementation_of_a_Word_View
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:48 PM »

I regularly ask myself about this. "How can I be free?"

I don't ask about defeating fascists, the gov', specifically. If fighting the fascists is a losing game, which it seems to be, then the best strategy is to not play it. It's like facing a force of nature - a tornado... Unless I have some really cool tech', the best move is to prepare for it, avoid it, and live it out.

So, I try to figure out, like in a game of Weiqi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECcsSeRcNo#t=135), how to increase my liberties.  Smiley Which is rather personal, depends on the country, and economic situation, and so forth.

However, I do wonder about the best tactics for fending off fascists. Fascists are akin to flies; you want to get rid of their disturbances, but you don't want to waste all your time on it, losing focus from more important things. I jokingly told a friend once, "If flies have an electric trap that efficiently solves the problem, then I wonder what is the trap for fascists."  Tongue

If you want a fly trap for fascists, give them a pile of feces.  They will like that, so will the flies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: