Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2019, 03:52:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarcho-capitalism and how to be dressed in private places  (Read 4701 times)
Alricaus

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

I would like to know what the position of Anacap is about clothing Ö More precisely, I was wondering if one as the right to decide how we have to be dressed when in a private place. For example, is it right for a school to say Ďif you donít wear the uniform, you canít come to this school?

Thank
braindead0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »

I would like to know what the position of Anacap is about clothing Ö More precisely, I was wondering if one as the right to decide how we have to be dressed when in a private place. For example, is it right for a school to say Ďif you donít wear the uniform, you canít come to this school?
Presuming a private school, absolutely.  This is a clear cut case of property rights, their property you have to accept any conditions on your use that they see fit.  If they decide everyone must wear a clown nose and scuba flipper.... so be it.
Alricaus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »

Presuming a private school, absolutely.  This is a clear cut case of property rights, their property you have to accept any conditions on your use that they see fit.  If they decide everyone must wear a clown nose and scuba flipper.... so be it.

Thanks for the answer.
fairyanna

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »

Are you familiar with concept of 'Kickstarter'?  I believe in an ancap society all sorts of things (cancer cures, space exploration, nature conservancy, etc) would be funded by interested individuals.

Unlike scam 70-414 dumps and Testking dumps training program, our best smith and www.northwood.edu
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »

This answer is right as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough.  How many people would put their kids in a school that called for a clown nose and scuba flippers, unless perhaps it was a clown school? Private businesses want to satisfy their customers, and for private schools, the customer is the parents or guardian of the child.  Military schools obviously require students to wear a uniform, it's part of the discipline they offer.  But then again not all parents want their kids in a military school, and may well prefer a school that encourages individuality more than discipline. 

School uniforms are really only an issue in public schools, given the schizoid nature of government schooling.  Nobody has a problem with a private school requiring uniforms (except maybe the kids themselves) because putting their kids in a private school is a voluntary choice, voluntarily paid for, whereas public schools are paid for by tax dollars instead of by direct fees.

Of course, the clothing issue is not just about schools, but about any private place that requires a dress code.  Most retail places or restaurants require shoes and shirts, for example, and businesses usually have a dress code.  But again, it's a matter of private property rights *and* freedom of association.  If an expensive, snobbish restaurant requires wearing a suit and tie, they have that right, and you have to decide how important it is to you to be seen at such a restaurant.  Whereas fast food places don't really care what you wear as long as you're not indecent, and sometimes they'll even slide on that!

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: