Daily Anarchist Forum
August 20, 2019, 09:31:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: anarcho-children  (Read 6599 times)
nhwulf

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

The genius of anarcho-children. My daughter (who is 9) says to me "Have the time of your life. Its the only time you have left." Just thought it was too good not to share. More importantly, I think it shows a level of understanding I did not give her credit for. Has anyone had the momentary experience of a childs, beyond their years understanding of philosophy or life?
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »

The genius of anarcho-children. My daughter (who is 9) says to me "Have the time of your life. Its the only time you have left." Just thought it was too good not to share. More importantly, I think it shows a level of understanding I did not give her credit for. Has anyone had the momentary experience of a childs, beyond their years understanding of philosophy or life?
That's brilliant. I imagine you haven't told your daughter about invisible sky people, and other superstitions? I always imagine where I would have been at different ages if I never had the intellectual stunting of religious indoctrination. Your daughter's comment is astute, secular, and very impressive for her age. I'm sure you are proud. It's only a matter of time before she starts requesting Nietzsche's writings as birthday presents  Wink . It's fascinating how children don't need to be encouraged to learn. As long as you don't do something to interfere with their investigation into reality, they'll keep searching for facts.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »

As long as you don't do something to interfere with their investigation into reality, they'll keep searching for facts.

Yeah, she might discover God, too.  Wink

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Linux

Your friendly (srs) neighborhood Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »

That's brilliant. I imagine you haven't told your daughter about invisible sky people, and other superstitions? I always imagine where I would have been at different ages if I never had the intellectual stunting of religious indoctrination. Your daughter's comment is astute, secular, and very impressive for her age. I'm sure you are proud. It's only a matter of time before she starts requesting Nietzsche's writings as birthday presents  Wink . It's fascinating how children don't need to be encouraged to learn. As long as you don't do something to interfere with their investigation into reality, they'll keep searching for facts.

Sure, if God is nothing more than a figment of the diluted imagination of many, than living your life as if there's no tomorrow would be the best thing to do. Doing anything contrary would be foolish.

I quite disagree about religion universally stunting intellectual development.

"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
If you use Bitcoins, you should check out this site for earning Bitcoins - when you click my link and sign up I get a referral bonus!
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »

Sure, if God is nothing more than a figment of the diluted imagination of many
Fixed.

living your life as if there's no tomorrow would be the best thing to do. Doing anything contrary would be foolish.
False. Just because the afterlife is made up doesn't change the reality of intertemporal choice. Just because a lifespan is finite doesn't change the need to manage consumption and production across time. As a whole though, if you aren't living your life as though you are approaching eternal death, I'd suggest changing course.

I quite disagree about religion universally stunting intellectual development.
What could have more of a retarding effect on intellectual advancement than filling young malleable minds with fabricated nonsense, and informing them that if they challenge it, they'll suffer for ever and ever and ever? Genuinely curious individuals, passionately and instinctively seeking to understand the world, and someone comes and hands them a bunch of made up answers. Faith is inherently anti-reason. Faith is believing something for no reason. Faith is universally anti-intellectual by its very definition.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
nhwulf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

She has been questioning about god. Recently, my sister, her aunt died of cancer. This sparked an on and off conversation involving where do we go when we die? Is there really a god? Why would a god let this happen? She is still a bit partial to the idea that something great out there cares and will protect her, she also still sees fairies in the garden.
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:50:07 AM »

She has been questioning about god. Recently, my sister, her aunt died of cancer. This sparked an on and off conversation involving where do we go when we die? Is there really a god? Why would a god let this happen? She is still a bit partial to the idea that something great out there cares and will protect her, she also still sees fairies in the garden.

I'm curious, how are you handling this? Have you told her what you believe in or are you letting her figure it out by herself? Do you inform her of all the different religions and atheism?

nhwulf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »

I'm curious, how are you handling this? Have you told her what you believe in or are you letting her figure it out by herself? Do you inform her of all the different religions and atheism?
   We have gone over what I know of christianity, (a little) and from my mother (a reborn christian). I have also gone over my athiest beliefs and helped her find online a bit of other religons and philosophies, She seems mor apt to accept the fairies than religon. In the end I have confidence that she will find the truth as she sees fit. I will provide all the info she requests but will leave the conclusions to her. She has yet to fail, and still so far to go. I have been considering setting her up with her own account here at DA. Any input? She is intelligent for a nine yr old, but still nine.There are moments of brilliance as I see them, and times when I must press to understand what she is getting at. There is always an end, but at times it is a chore to find. I would not edit her posts, nor would I ask anyone to alter thiers. If there is concern for such conversation, please say so.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »

We have gone over what I know of christianity, (a little) and from my mother (a reborn christian). I have also gone over my athiest beliefs and helped her find online a bit of other religons and philosophies, She seems mor apt to accept the fairies than religon. In the end I have confidence that she will find the truth as she sees fit. I will provide all the info she requests but will leave the conclusions to her. She has yet to fail, and still so far to go. I have been considering setting her up with her own account here at DA. Any input? She is intelligent for a nine yr old, but still nine.There are moments of brilliance as I see them, and times when I must press to understand what she is getting at. There is always an end, but at times it is a chore to find. I would not edit her posts, nor would I ask anyone to alter thiers. If there is concern for such conversation, please say so.

I have no problems with this. We're bound to get people of all backgrounds on this site eventually.  Smiley

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »

Is there a language filter on this thing to make it kid friendly?

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »

Not that I am aware of. But I wouldn't use it anyway.

Will

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:51 AM »

If you use Firefox (which you should Wink ) I'm almost positive you could find a profanity filter add-on to block it on your end.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:07 AM »

I wasn't asking for me or you.  hehe

A parent may not want to allow things to slip through to a child.

Will

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:11:06 AM »

I wasn't asking for me or you.  hehe

A parent may not want to allow things to slip through to a child.

I know, I was assuming you had a specific child in mind.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »

Oh, I did initially.  The nine year old this thread was about, and children I know.  I figured there might be a potential desire for it from the parent, or possibly other parents, after the suggestion of a child joining us here.  My curiosity got the best of me so I asked.

I know my sister would flip out if I let my nieces on this site, where I believe I have put a little profanity into one of my posts today, without a filter.  I don't think it would matter since my sister can cuss like a sailor when shes angry though, and listens to music I wouldn't feel comfortable repeating.  hah

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: