Daily Anarchist Forum
August 15, 2022, 08:48:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Software  (Read 4713 times)
xphoenix

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »

I've been trying to come up with some ideas for free software (I'm a programmer by profession) that would be useful to a variety of people.  I realize that open source software is exactly that, but I'm short on ideas.  My question for the forum is: what is on your wish list for free software or what open source software do you currently use that needs improvement? 

Part of the problem is that I don't have any immediate software needs so it makes it difficult to get started from the standpoint of solving my own problems.  I'd really like to start or find an existing project that needs some work.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

Are you a fan of Bitcoin? If you are, I have a suggestion that wouldn't be too difficult, I don't think.

Since I installed the Bitcoin client to play with it and learn more about it, I decided to offer my 2' x 3' flags for sale in Bitcoin. Problem is that there is no Bitcoin payment module for osCommerce.

OsCommerce is a pretty decent little open source store that I am running for DA Store. There is one person who made a module for Bitcoin, but apparently it doesn't work. If you solved that problem it would be pretty bad ass.

I guess I should also ask, what programming languages do you know? PHP? Ruby? Perl?

If you're not a fan of Bitcoin I might be able to think of some other ideas.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
xphoenix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

I'm a little wary of Bitcoin for a few reasons, but I certainly think it's a great idea.  I perused some of the osCommerce code and I think it's something I could probably take a stab at.  I'll need to get a test server up and running to see what it looks like. 

It appears that the other osCommerce Bitcoin module you referenced isn't really available for download anymore.  I was hoping to use it as a starting point, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker to not have it as a reference.

I know Java, C, and COBOL (yuck, I know).  I'm familiar with PHP, Ruby, and Perl although of those three I've only used Perl professionally - that was several years ago.  I'm pretty confident that I could pick up any language if need be, however.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

So, are you going to take a stab at the Bitcoin module?

xphoenix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

Yea, I'll see if I can get anywhere with it.  The docs are a little vague on some things, but that's what makes it interesting :-)
xphoenix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »

Seth, I'm close to having something workable, but there is one caveat.  It appears that there needs to be a bitcoin server running on your web server as well.  See this link: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/PHP_developer_intro.  Will that be an issue?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »

That shouldn't be a problem. I run my own server.

Will you be able to build the module without having a Bitcoin server client with which to work?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: