Daily Anarchist Forum
September 21, 2020, 07:53:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It doesn't matter how it will get done...  (Read 7993 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »

because the initiation of violence is wrong. End of story.

Another brilliant video by Stefan Molyneux.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVNL0VyaEI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVNL0VyaEI</a>

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Linux

Your friendly (srs) neighborhood Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »

That was amazing. I disagree with him about children being taught violence. While our pro-war, pro-police society does foster and encourage violence, violence is part of our sinful, corrupt nature that we are born with. Observing infants one can clearly see the jealousy being answered by them with aggression.

I sent this video to a statist friend who I've been debating with.

"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
If you use Bitcoins, you should check out this site for earning Bitcoins - when you click my link and sign up I get a referral bonus!
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

That was amazing. I disagree with him about children being taught violence. While our pro-war, pro-police society does foster and encourage violence, violence is part of our sinful, corrupt nature that we are born with. Observing infants one can clearly see the jealousy being answered by them with aggression.

Children respond to the feedback they get from adults. If you laugh, they laugh. If you reject violence, so will they. I didn't want the discussion to get religious but it seems inevitable. There is no magic apple causing children to be "born corrupt and sinful". Some level of aggression is just part of being an animal, and has nothing to do specifically with humans, or talking snakes. Abolishing social institutions that encourage and champion violence is something that would help to curb these tendencies, no doubt.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Linux

Your friendly (srs) neighborhood Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »

Children respond to the feedback they get from adults. If you laugh, they laugh. If you reject violence, so will they. I didn't want the discussion to get religious but it seems inevitable. There is no magic apple causing children to be "born corrupt and sinful". Some level of aggression is just part of being an animal, and has nothing to do specifically with humans, or talking snakes. Abolishing social institutions that encourage and champion violence is something that would help to curb these tendencies, no doubt.
I hadn't intended for it to be a religious debate about it. As Christians we view the heart as being corrupt and wicked, from birth on. I sense this as turning into a flame war, so we'll not debate it. It is rather trivial to the video topic.

"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
If you use Bitcoins, you should check out this site for earning Bitcoins - when you click my link and sign up I get a referral bonus!
LegesNullae

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »

I hadn't intended for it to be a religious debate about it. As Christians we view the heart as being corrupt and wicked, from birth on. I sense this as turning into a flame war, so we'll not debate it. It is rather trivial to the video topic.

Agreed as to the trivialty, but I'd just like to point one thing out. The whole "born corrupt and sinful" thing isn't part of the original Torah/Tanakh. Christians added that notion with a verse from the New Testament hundreds of years later. Just something to think about when considering human nature.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -Murray N. Rothbard
rahvin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »

I'm confused, does Stef claim a particular branch of anarchy?  Does anyone know what it is?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »

I'm confused, does Stef claim a particular branch of anarchy?  Does anyone know what it is?

Anarcho-capitalism.

Script

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »

Anarcho-capitalism.

The only logically consistent kind (in my opinion). 
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »

Anarcho-capitalism.

To which Stefan would respond: "What does your opinion have to do with the logical consistency of your claim?" Lol. No response needed, I'm just messing around.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Script

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »

Anarcho-capitalism.

To which Stefan would respond: "What does your opinion have to do with the logical consistency of your claim?" Lol. No response needed, I'm just messing around.

I guess I'm just wary of making statements of the absolute.  "The only logical type".  Someone might prove me wrong.  Besides, there really is only anarchy.  As long as it's voluntary let a hundred systems develop and let people choose what they prefer.  Just don't force me into your system.  I personally will own property in an anarchic society and believe that property rights are crucial, so I call myself an anarcho-capitalist.  But if others wish to live in communes and share property I don't have a problem with that. 
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »

I would tend to lean that way myself. The objectivism related content that Stefan produces is the only stuff I really don't like. Too much discussion of virtue, UPB, and hatred of relativism. Of course, if he didn't do that stuff, his views would be so well aligned my own that it would be scary. Recognizing the flaws in even the titans' work is what keeps you from being just another follower. I don't want to be a "Rothbardian" or a "Molynoid" anyways. Take what's good, debunk the rest, and move forward.

-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »

I would tend to lean that way myself. The objectivism related content that Stefan produces is the only stuff I really don't like. Too much discussion of virtue, UPB, and hatred of relativism. Of course, if he didn't do that stuff, his views would be so well aligned my own that it would be scary. Recognizing the flaws in even the titans' work is what keeps you from being just another follower. I don't want to be a "Rothbardian" or a "Molynoid" anyways. Take what's good, debunk the rest, and move forward.

What about a Kingsian?  Cheesy

Script

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »

What about a Kingsian?  Cheesy

Sounds cultish.  Time for us to get a compound and start stock piling flamethrowers, and Howitzers.  Wink 

Nah, I agree with JustSayNoToStatism, humans are all imperfect so take the good and leave the rest. 
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:18 AM »

I think I'm "Rockwellian" after having met and talked to the man himself. :-) Or perhaps a Shafferian, but I have yet to meet Butler.

Stef is really big on Objective Law, which is fine, but limited our ability to play with ideas a little bit. I go the other way and take the Subjective Theory of Value to its logical conclusion. It sort of wraps around somewhere and gets to the same conclusion.

I am curious to hear more of Stef's psychological basis for a lot of his reasoning. I think that is a fascinating area that Libertarians have not explored much yet, and he seems to have a very good grip on it already. He's had me thinking about the consequences of hitting children much more than I ever did in the past, including how it shaped my younger years relative to my siblings (like my sister who could always talk my dad out of punishing any of her "bad" behavior).

Relating to this thread, Stef's "it doesn't matter" argument is extraordinarily powerful. Used it on the radio last week to severely undermine one of our statist Assembly member's arguments for regulation.

Re: Script's post (which made me laugh):
Step 1: Move to a common property, call it a "compound."
Step 2: Make it clear that you are stockpiling weapons.
Step 3: Be slaughtered by feds.

It is amazing and tragically funny that people continue to follow this pattern! One of my favorite parts of the Free State Project is that no one there is stupid enough to have done this yet!

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: