Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:40:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchist X Prize  (Read 2899 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »

Watching the debate tonight Newt mentioned that many of aviation's great feats throughout history were achieved in part due to X Prizes, or bounties on completion.

I wonder if there could be some sort of anarchist feat that could be incentivized by an X Prize. Any thoughts?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »

Converting a certain amount of statists?

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

Converting a certain amount of statists?

In that case, Ron Paul DOES deserve of all his donations!  Wink

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »

Many of those prizes were not asking for something that wasn't relatively easily obtainable though.  The first flight across some huge expanse did not require a new aircraft design.  They just stripped out everything and made it a flying gas tank.  The X prize to go to space didn't require mid/high orbit that would have required thermal shielding and better stabilization methods to deal with little to no atmosphere.  

For an ancap X prize, it is kind of difficult because doing a half ass job won't pay off with commercial support like the aviation X prizes do.  The money comes in with ancap when the state isn't strangling it.  That makes me look at the seasteading concepts, since escaping the state on land probably can't happen.  Of course seasteading brings costs that are kind of insane vs on land costs, and I don't know if that would bring commercial support due to that.  

In other words, I wrote all this to say I don't know.  

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »

What about that attempt to buy some land from one of the latin american states? The names Thiel and Friedman are coming to mind for some reason. I'm not sure if it was them or not. I can't seem to remember the details. It's not like I have any prize money to put up though....

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Script

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »

What about that attempt to buy some land from one of the latin american states? The names Thiel and Friedman are coming to mind for some reason. I'm not sure if it was them or not. I can't seem to remember the details. It's not like I have any prize money to put up though....

Yes, Peter Thiel has donated over a million to the Seasteading Institute which was run by Patri Friedman (Milton's grandson).  He's since resigned from that and is now looking at building a charter city by buying land from the Honduran government.  Not sure how anarcho it would be, though.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1678720/former-seasteaders-come-ashore-to-start-libertarian-utopias-in-honduran-jungle
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »

Not sure how anarcho it would be, though.

From what I remember from the thread on this topic, they would have to get every law okayed by the local government.  It is kind of foggy about any preexisting conditions.  Maybe they wouldn't be able to pass any laws, maybe they will pass all sorts of things. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: