Daily Anarchist Forum
December 06, 2022, 08:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voting  (Read 15658 times)
FormerlyBrainwashed

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »

deltajent,

Nice to see that you "get it." It is a difficult thing for many to grasp as most so-called "liberty minded" proponents of minarchism suggest that theirs is a pragmatic approach and they'll work through some pretty convoluted mental gymnastics to try to justify their position. In the end, their theory fails morally and rationally.

Your comments about "power of attorney" sound to me like you have read Spooner. Is that an accurate guess? Lysander Spooner left us a masterpiece with his, No Treason - The Constitution of No Authority - http://www.lysanderspooner.org/node/44.

The work cited above primarily deals with the joke that is their "Constitution." He easily destroys the notion of this document as any sort of "legally" binding "contract" and uses the example of the power of attorney to make his point.

An excerpt:

Moreover, a written instrument must, in law and reason, not only be signed, but must also be delivered to the party (or to some one for him), in whose favor it is made, before it can bind the party making it. The signing is of no effect, unless the instrument be also delivered. And a party is at perfect liberty to refuse to deliver a written instrument, after he has signed it. The Constitution was not only never signed by anybody, but it was never delivered by anybody, or to anybody's agent or attorney. It can therefore be of no more validity as a contract, then can any other instrument that was never signed or delivered.

But these men who claim and exercise this absolute and irresponsible dominion over us, dare not be consistent, and claim either to be our masters, or to own us as property. They say they are only our servants, agents, attorneys, and representatives. But this declaration involves an absurdity, a contradiction. No man can be my servant, agent, attorney, or representative, and be, at the same time, uncontrollable by me, and irresponsible to me for his acts.

He goes on to spend a considerable amount fo time destroying the lie that is used to suggest that these "representatives" are at all "agents" that can be held accountable by anyone.

He also exposes the system of "secret ballot voting" for what it is.

But even these pretended agents do not themselves know who their pretended principals are. These latter act in secret; for acting by secret ballot is acting in secret as much as if they were to meet in secret conclave in the darkness of the night. And they are personally as much unknown to the agents they select, as they are to others. No pretended agent therefore can ever know by whose ballots he is selected, or consequently who his real principles are. Not knowing who his principles are, he has no right to say that he has any. He can, at most, say only that he is the agent of a secret band of robbers and murderers, who are bound by that faith which prevails among confederates in crime, to stand by him, if his acts, done in their name, shall be resisted.

Men honestly engaged in attempting to establish justice in the world, have no occasion thus to act in secret; or to appoint agents to do acts for which they (the principals) are not willing to be responsible.

The secret ballot makes a secret government; and a secret government is a secret band of robbers and murderers. Open despotism is better than this. The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If anyone denies my right, let him try conclusions with me.

But a secret government is little less than a government of assassins. Under it, a man knows not who his tyrants are, until they have struck, and perhaps not then. He may guess, beforehand, as to some of his immediate neighbors. But he really knows nothing. The man to whom he would most naturally fly for protection, may prove an enemy, when the time of trial comes.

This is the kind of government we have; and it is the only one we are likely to have, until men are ready to say: We will consent to no Constitution, except such an one as we are neither ashamed nor afraid to sign; and we will authorize no government to do anything in our name which we are not willing to be personally responsible for.

If you haven't read No Treason in its entirety, I'd HIGHLY recommend it as an extremely resourceful tool in explaining the irrationality of the so-called constitutionally limited republic.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:42:00 AM by FormerlyBrainwashed » Logged
helio

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »

I haven't read that yet, but its been a high priority on my list.  The link is broken by the way.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
FormerlyBrainwashed

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »

Fixed...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: