Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2021, 12:22:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Reason To Switch To Linux  (Read 59682 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »

Being somewhat ignorant when it comes to all this computer stuff, can I run Linux on a mac?

Yeah
When Apple went from IBM processors over to Intel, they lost their hardware incompatibility issues with Windows and Linux.  

Mac OS X is actually related to Linux.  

I have not watched this video, but it might get you started in the right direction.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqyYqzgeZNU

Edit - to make the video link visible again.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:01:32 PM by Syock » Logged

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »

Thanks!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

A lot of linux distributions have a livecd.  It allows you to boot off a cd/dvd/usb without having to install anything.  It is slower than a hard drive, but it is a good way to play around with them and see if you like it.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:13:12 PM by Syock » Logged

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

A lot of linux distributions have a livecd.  It allows you to boot off a cd/dvd/usb without having to install anything.  It is slower than a hard drive, but it is a good way to play around with them and see if you like it.  
Is there any way to set one of these up so that it cannot access your hard drive AT ALL? It still lets me go through the folders of the Windows partition.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »

Is there any way to set one of these up so that it cannot access your hard drive AT ALL? It still lets me go through the folders of the Windows partition.

Since linux can read NTFS, the only way is to disable/remove the hard drive.   The live CD makes a good recovery disk since it can read MS and Mac files. 

victim77

Registered Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

As soon as I can load linux on a CD I'm gonna erase windows for good! My year old computer gets cpu spikes when more than one program is being used now.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »

As soon as I can load linux on a CD I'm gonna erase windows for good! My year old computer gets cpu spikes when more than one program is being used now.

You might want to consider the alternative boot CD download version from Ubuntu. My understanding is that it comes with the ability to use full disk encryption.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

Another Reason To Switch To Linux:

Windows XP, which is still incredibly popular, doesn't know how to properly align solid state hard drives (SSD).  You have to do a lot of tinkering to get proper alignment to avoid slowness, shorter SSD lifespan and/or BSOD.  

Linux can do it automatically.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:11:59 PM by Syock » Logged

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

Another Reason To Switch To Linux:

Microsoft keeps it old-school with a pricey text adventure game, Visual Studio 2010
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:15:57 PM by Syock » Logged

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »

Since linux can read NTFS, the only way is to disable/remove the hard drive.   The live CD makes a good recovery disk since it can read MS and Mac files. 
Okay thanks. Is there any way to set one up so that it cannot WRITE to your hard drive at all?

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »

Okay thanks. Is there any way to set one up so that it cannot WRITE to your hard drive at all?

That is another no.  They don't have to write, and won't write unless they are told to do so.  But they are fully capable of destroying a hard drive if you want it to.  A windows install disk can do the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:29:18 PM by Syock » Logged

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »

That is another no.  They don't have to write, and won't write unless they are told to do so.  But they are fully capable of destroying a hard drive if you want it to.  A windows install disk can do the same thing.
So, if someone wrote linux viruses and malware, they could somehow trick you into harming your hard drive. Say I had windows as my permanent OS installed on the hard drive, and I used linux as a "secure" web browsing pendrive OS, my activity could theoretically harm my hard drive.

-MAM
braindead0
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

So, if someone wrote linux viruses and malware, they could somehow trick you into harming your hard drive. Say I had windows as my permanent OS installed on the hard drive, and I used linux as a "secure" web browsing pendrive OS, my activity could theoretically harm my hard drive.
Many people have already written *nix virii/malware and trojans.. and they can do just as much damage to a *nix box as they can to a windows box.

On your specific issue, you can effectively make a pendrive linux that cannot access your local HD's at all.  Simply don't compile the controller driver into the kernel or as modules.  Problem solved.  You could alternately (and simpler) delete the device nodes and disable udev/hotplug which would keep any malware from discovering your drives (short of attempting to enumerate the pci bus which is highly unlikely) however that wouldn't completely mitigate the risk.

Thinking switching to linux will make you safe is simply not true.  It *can* make you *safer*, however if the distro you choose does insecure things (say installs and runs sshd with root login permitted by default) you may be less safe.  I'd trust the privacy/security in most linux distros more so than windows, however you have to know enough to check everything because people make mistakes.

IMI the most important thing you can do is educate yourself on security and the attack vectors used to compromise systems.  And you have to be willing to keep up with it, things are constantly changing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:51:14 PM by braindead0 » Logged
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »

It *can* make you *safer*, however if the distro you choose does insecure things (say installs and runs sshd with root login permitted by default) you may be less safe. 

Live CD's tend to do exactly that.  I doubt windows users are going to have a clue how to exclude controller drivers. 

An installed linux can easily set up all the restrictions you seem to be asking for JSNTS. 

braindead0
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »

It *can* make you *safer*, however if the distro you choose does insecure things (say installs and runs sshd with root login permitted by default) you may be less safe.  

Live CD's tend to do exactly that.  I doubt windows users are going to have a clue how to exclude controller drivers.  

An installed linux can easily set up all the restrictions you seem to be asking for JSNTS.  
Live CD's certainly aren't designed for security.  If someone is looking for a relatively safe/secure bootable device there are tons of howto's for building your own customized Linux bootable USB.  Security isn't cheap it takes an investment in time/effort that most people will not be able to manage.

Interesting thought just came to mind though, if someone were to whip up a 'secure' bootable USB with some useful apps pre-configured (tor and privoxy maybe) might be a sellable commodity...  Someone has probably already thought of it I'd think, and it'd be really difficult to find the right mix of programs to satisfy as many people as possible.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:36:26 PM by braindead0 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: