Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2021, 01:39:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Reason To Switch To Linux  (Read 59696 times)
xphoenix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »

Okay I just wanted to say that I have now switched entirely to Linux...though  I was wondering how do I take the free space that used to be taken up by Windows and expand my OpenSUSE partition to take up  that space?

You can keep it as a separate partition and reformat it to a Linux file system like ext4 (if you want - you can keep it as NTFS also).  Just mount it to a location in your home directory if you plan on using it for data storage.  Say you want to put in in a directory called 'stuff', you can create a directory in your home directory called 'stuff', then go in to a disk utility program and select the partition and mount it under /home/<your user>/stuff.  It will look just like any other directory in your home folder.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:31 AM »

Okay I just wanted to say that I have now switched entirely to Linux...though  I was wondering how do I take the free space that used to be taken up by Windows and expand my OpenSUSE partition to take up  that space?

You can keep it as a separate partition and reformat it to a Linux file system like ext4 (if you want - you can keep it as NTFS also).  Just mount it to a location in your home directory if you plan on using it for data storage.  Say you want to put in in a directory called 'stuff', you can create a directory in your home directory called 'stuff', then go in to a disk utility program and select the partition and mount it under /home/<your user>/stuff.  It will look just like any other directory in your home folder.

Is it unreasonable to just save the files that are important and then do a completely fresh installation of Linux over the entire hard disk?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:26:20 AM »

Nope it is not unreasonable...in fact that is what I ended up having to do. Now I just need to figure out if I should install truecrypt on my computers internal hard drive, as a hidden volume, and if so how, or if I should save up to get an external hard drive and use that.

Linux

Your friendly (srs) neighborhood Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

if I can't do it on Linux, it isn't worth doing.
Market snobbery? Tongue

"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
If you use Bitcoins, you should check out this site for earning Bitcoins - when you click my link and sign up I get a referral bonus!
xphoenix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »

Is it unreasonable to just save the files that are important and then do a completely fresh installation of Linux over the entire hard disk?

I wouldn't say unreasonable, but more work :-)  I personally like to have several partitions mounted so that I can shuffle files around if one of the partitions goes bad or if I just want to reformat it.  I typically have a partition for "/", for "/usr/local", and for "/home".  When I update my distribution and want to reformat the system area of the file system, my home partition is untouched and doesn't need to be reformatted. 

Having multiple partitions is like anarchy, don't put all your eggs in one basket (partition).
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »

The feds and hackers know how to use linux too.  If you want a safe computer you need to keep it offline and in a secure location.  If your online your hackable/trackable.  That means bank accounts, bitcoin, even encrypted stuff is just a matter of time.  Sometimes that is a long time with a lot of computing power, but that is there if they want it.

I believe gparted would have done the resize/format for you without a reinstall, although I am not sure if that is on opensuse.  I would expect you could get it though, even if from source.  I keep all my storage files on two hard drives after having many die on me.  If you use windows for anything, separating out the boot partition from storage of programs/data just becomes a pain, it is much easier in linux.  I've had to recover data from many peoples hard drives after something kills windows. 

Directx is what I hate most about Microsoft.  They know they have a lot of people over a barrel with it and they are using it to their advantage.  You can get some games running in wine.  I've heard you can get most games running well if you are really familiar with wine.  I've never had the patience to learn wine when I can boot XP64 through GRUB.  I plan on giving it a shot soon though.  I hear world of warcraft is always on the top of the list for having functioning.  I do have steam running through wine right now.  There are a few applications that run on top of wine to help manage settings to get games and programs running with no effort on your part too. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »

The feds and hackers know how to use linux too.  If you want a safe computer you need to keep it offline and in a secure location.  If your online your hackable/trackable.  That means bank accounts, bitcoin, even encrypted stuff is just a matter of time.  Sometimes that is a long time with a lot of computing power, but that is there if they want it.

The amount of resources required to spy on mass amounts of Linux users makes the entire operation prohibitive. With Windows you are arguably handing all of your information to them on a silver platter.

The size and scope of a criminal organization is dependent on two factors: resources and resistance. The goal of an anarchist is to reduce the resources and increase the resistance to criminal organizations.

That's my motto.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »

They spy on the network servers, not the individual computers unless they have one in mind. 

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »

If anyone is being held up by a windows program, take a look at the Wine App Database

Script

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »

If anyone is being held up by a windows program, take a look at the Wine App Database

Wine doesn't always work the way its supposed to.  At least, I've had mixed success.  I have a love-hate relationship with Linux.  I've successfully been able to use Ubuntu for most of my needs, but I still get stuck having to use Windows for a few specific programs (mostly for work) and it's a hassle to switch back and forth.   
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »

Have you tried virtualizing windows?

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Script

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:57 AM »

Have you tried virtualizing windows?

https://www.virtualbox.org/

I haven't and this might be a good work around for me, but I feel that if I'm having to run Windows as a virtual system because I can't get around not using it, then I might as well just use it. 
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »

Maybe so.  I have switched between dual booting and only windows several times.  There always seems to be something or other forcing me back to windows.  If only I didn't care about entertainment.  

Wine seems to come down to what is more stubborn, me or the programs.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:54:35 AM by Syock » Logged

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ID2CbtnKk

Edit: Removed embedded tags so the link works again.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:59:53 PM by Syock » Logged

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »

Being somewhat ignorant when it comes to all this computer stuff, can I run Linux on a mac?

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: