Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2021, 12:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Reason To Switch To Linux  (Read 59685 times)
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »

I am now typing this in Linux Mint 14 Nadia!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdN0NXgjsn8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdN0NXgjsn8</a>
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Nice! Well done!

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »

Wow, I don't know about this Linux operating system. I don't know why everyone is so gun-ho about this operating system. To do even some relatively simple tasks, like installing a printer or iTunes, takes a ton of time. It seems like nothing naturally works on Linux. For everything you have to do some huge workaround that takes hours of work, and half the time it still doesn't function properly. I can't even get my printer to work after spending half the day experimenting with drivers and workarounds. And I spent all of yesterday trying to get iTunes to work and can only get the program itself to work (won't sync).

Is there a version of Linux that uses the same format as Windows? Meaning it has a C-Drive, Recycle Bin, Program Files, etc? If Mint 14 is the closest to Windows as one can get, then I might have to go and download a Windows 7/8 iso and switch back because I can't do 95% of the stuff I could on my old system. All I can really do so far is surf the Internet. 
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »

Wow, I don't know about this Linux operating system. I don't know why everyone is so gun-ho about this operating system. To do even some relatively simple tasks, like installing a printer or iTunes, takes a ton of time. It seems like nothing naturally works on Linux. For everything you have to do some huge workaround that takes hours of work, and half the time it still doesn't function properly. I can't even get my printer to work after spending half the day experimenting with drivers and workarounds. And I spent all of yesterday trying to get iTunes to work and can only get the program itself to work (won't sync).

Is there a version of Linux that uses the same format as Windows? Meaning it has a C-Drive, Recycle Bin, Program Files, etc? If Mint 14 is the closest to Windows as one can get, then I might have to go and download a Windows 7/8 iso and switch back because I can't do 95% of the stuff I could on my old system. All I can really do so far is surf the Internet. 
iTunes won't work because the Apple programers works to make it so. As far as your printer working who knows.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
kunkmiester

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »

Printers are always a bit of a pain I've found.  Maybe it's just me and you though.

Evil is evil, no matter how small.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »

iTunes sucks!!

Rhythmbox or some other free and open source software alternative should come with Linux Mint.

There is a slight learning curve that comes with switching to linux. I've gone through it, and so has everybody else that switched from Windows to Linux. Don't quit now. You'll figure it all out and you'll be glad you did, because Linux is way more powerful and has way more opportunities than Windows.

A word of advice. Anything you need to get working on Linux Mint but don't know how to do you can figure out here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/

I'm not kidding. Sign up with that forum. Any time you have a question ask it there. Tell them you're a noob and need to be walked through things step by step. Be humble. They should be able to help you out.

Secondly, there's something you're going to be told many times. The sooner you heed the advice, the better. At this point in your adventure it's time to RTFM. That stands for Read The Fucking Manual.

If you want to get good in a hurry, read this manual:

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

It's something I wish somebody would have pointed me to when I first installed Linux, but no one ever did. Instead, I bumbled around for a couple of years not knowing my ass from a hole in the ground, which led to much frustration.

Seriously, you do those two things and you'll be up to speed in no time.

Edit: Oh, and that manual is going to take several days, or weeks, to finish. Just take your time and walk through it step by step. You'll get there. Linux is going to be what you'll likely use for a very long time. You might and well get to know it intimately as soon as possible.

Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

Well, I switched back to Windows. At least after this whole experience I no longer use Vista and now use Windows 7.

iTunes sucks!!

Yeah, I don't like the program, but my family uses iPods, so they needed the program.

Secondly, there's something you're going to be told many times. The sooner you heed the advice, the better. At this point in your adventure it's time to RTFM. That stands for Read The Fucking Manual...Oh, and that manual is going to take several days, or weeks, to finish. Just take your time and walk through it step by step. You'll get there. Linux is going to be what you'll likely use for a very long time. You might and well get to know it intimately as soon as possible.

If people want to spend weeks reading a manual just to figure out how to operate a computer, more power to them. I ain't willing to do so. I don't want to have to spend three or four hours figuring out a workaround every time I need to do something new. I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer in order to make a computer do what I want it to do.

My personal opinion for anyone out there reading this thread. If you want to use the internet covertly, then use Linux. If you want to use your computer for anything else and don't want to major in computer engineering, then stick with what you know.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »

Well, I switched back to Windows. At least after this whole experience I no longer use Vista and now use Windows 7.

iTunes sucks!!

Yeah, I don't like the program, but my family uses iPods, so they needed the program.

Secondly, there's something you're going to be told many times. The sooner you heed the advice, the better. At this point in your adventure it's time to RTFM. That stands for Read The Fucking Manual...Oh, and that manual is going to take several days, or weeks, to finish. Just take your time and walk through it step by step. You'll get there. Linux is going to be what you'll likely use for a very long time. You might and well get to know it intimately as soon as possible.

If people want to spend weeks reading a manual just to figure out how to operate a computer, more power to them. I ain't willing to do so. I don't want to have to spend three or four hours figuring out a workaround every time I need to do something new. I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer in order to make a computer do what I want it to do.

My personal opinion for anyone out there reading this thread. If you want to use the internet covertly, then use Linux. If you want to use your computer for anything else and don't want to major in computer engineering, then stick with what you know.

Dude, just because you don't know what you're doing yet doesn't mean it's Linux's fault.

Your family can use their iPod with Rhythmbox. I do all the time. In fact, Rhythmbox is BETTER than iTunes, because iTunes(at least they used to, I haven't used it in years) PREVENTS you from uploading the songs on your iPod and putting them on your computer! They did that to prevent people from sharing music! FOSS like Rhythmbox doesn't do stupid shit like that.

You don't need to be a computer programmer to use Linux. I sure as hell wasn't when I got started. Just think of it like riding a bicycle. It hurts a little bit at first and can be frustrating, but the payoff is huge! And not just for surfing the web anonymously.

BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

I'm stuck using Win7 for work. "Better than Vista" certainly.

iTunes sucks!!

There's also gtk-pod, in addition to Rythembox, if you want to continue to use those proprietary non-standard things. I never could figure out why I would want to pay several times as much money for something that does the same thing as any MP3 player, while the cheaper players show up in every OS as standard USB thumb drives.

If people want to spend weeks reading a manual just to figure out how to operate a computer, more power to them. I ain't willing to do so.

You were, when you started. Now you know what works for you, which is great. Use that.

I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer in order to make a computer do what I want it to do.

The difference being that in order for me to get a Windows system to do "what I want it to do" I would have to be a programmer.

Funny, that's been everyone's advice from the beginning, with one caveat: Try different things, do not assume.

You've expanded your world, and that's a good thing. You've returned to Windows, with a new appreciation for how it works for you.
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »

{rant}

Just a note about something that sort of "sticks in my craw" as it were.

A Linux system is not going to have "C:\Program Files\" and the like because it's not Windows.

Several of the various different desktop managers have "Documents", "Downloads", even "Public" directories set up automatically under your username, if you like that sort of thing.

Even the two-step trashcan, which asks "Do you want to send X to the trash?" and "Do you really want to delete these four files permanently, forever, and irrevocably for certain?" is implemented for those who can tolerate it want that sort of thing.

But the single biggest lesson to get, up front and without any ambiguity: THIS IS NOT WINDOWS

Expecting a Linux system to work like Windows is a deal killer. Someone would not buy a Mac and then consider it a failure when it didn't work like Windows, why do people continue to act surprised when the same thing happens running Linux?

{/rant}
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: