Daily Anarchist Forum
December 07, 2019, 11:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Reason To Switch To Linux  (Read 47650 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »

Seriously, I cannot stress enough the importance of completely removing Windows OS from your computer. I don't care if you get into email encryption, file encryption, or other safe online practices, it is ALL FOR NAUGHT if you are still running Windows OS.

Windows is the NUMBER ONE THREAT to your computing security. And if you're an anarchist activist, I guarantee you that you will want to use Linux full-time for all of your computing needs. Whether you're using Bitcoin, or Porcloom, or engaging in online civil disobedience like Anonymous, or publishing, or just have personal or business files you want kept secret, Windows OS is DANGEROUS. Linux is eons safer. Just look at this poor fool who wanted to protect his assets from the feds, only to still be using their computer Operating System... WINDOWS.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2011/06/new-malware-steals-your-bitcoin.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

Seriously, I never use Windows anymore for anything. I haven't used it in many months, and refuse to ever use it again. Every professional program I need to use can easily be found for Linux, without any loss in quality. Sure, if you're a hardcore gamer, then you'll need Windows. Otherwise, boycott Windows and protect yourself. Go here and get started with Linux today. If you need any help, either post it in the comment section of the blog, or here in the forum.

http://dailyanarchist.com/2010/11/24/linux-and-anarchy/

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
helio

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

I'm a gamer, and a computer programmer for the microsoft.net platform so I'm kinda stuck at the moment.  But I've decided to re-purpose an older box for Linux.  So i'll be making the transition in some areas.

This is abit off topic, but...
As for ending my profession as a .net developer, I can't really do that right now.  I've poked around with php (as I mainly do web development) and my initial reaction is that .net, combined with the developer tools from microsoft are superior.  I could be wrong and am willing to hear an argument from an experienced php developer who also has knowledge of .net.

Then there is the XNA framework.  I've played around with several different game development tools like Unity and Torque and believe that my goal of creating an indie game won't really happen without xna. 

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »

While I do agree with you about removing Windows...I have one problem....I play quite a few games, which I can't get unless I use Windows...plus I use the Kindle for PC app, which does NOT play nice with Wine in Ubuntu...my preferred linux OS...so any suggestions?

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

While I do agree with you about removing Windows...I have one problem....I play quite a few games, which I can't get unless I use Windows...plus I use the Kindle for PC app, which does NOT play nice with Wine in Ubuntu...my preferred linux OS...so any suggestions?

It sounds like you're already using both. I see no problem with that. I started off with a partitioned disk drive, Windows and Ubuntu. Once I no longer had any reasons to use Windows, I all but got rid of it. On my next computer I'll likely not have Windows at all. I've sort of developed the attitude that if I can't do it on Linux, it isn't worth doing.  Tongue

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

Hm. That sounds pretty reasonable, and yes I currently am using a desktop with Windows 7, and a laptop with just Ubuntu 11.04. I'm using TrueCrypt currently too, and am considering using their "hidden operating system" feature, with the hidden operating system being Ubuntu....I'm not sure about that though if do end up using that particular feature of TrueCrypt I will definitely make the Hidden OS linux...probably Ubuntu Linux. And that way I can have a "decoy" operating system of Windows, which will have little to no sensitive files....I'll have to think about this.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »

If you're a heavy duty gamer then it sounds like you've got yourself set up right. You'd want your best processing power and video cards, etc. to power your games, hence the desktop.

If you use your desktop just for gaming and possibly graphic arts, but keep your web browsing and documents strictly on your laptop, then it sounds like you're setup for the best of both worlds.

It would be nice to see the gaming world build the drivers necessary to power their games on Linux. It is the drivers that are the limiting factor, right?

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »

Yeah. And that's part of the main reason...the other part is that based on what I know a lot of companies like Blizzard Entertainment, and Fireaxis, etc. don't believe there is a large enough market in linux users to be a big enough incentive to "go through the trouble of developing a linux version of their games" to quote an email I got from Blizzard. Though the point may be moot soon, for me at least since 1. my laptop is screwing up, and 2. With the time I'm putting into my early college classes (for those members of the forum who are reading this don't know what I mean by that, they're basically college classes that I can take while still being a high school student) and finding a job, I probably won't have time for gaming, in which case the only reason I"ll have to keep Windows is that 1. most of the kindle books I read are on that, which can be solved by getting a tablet preferably an Android tablet. 2. I need iTunes for my iPhone though that looks like it'll be changing with iOS 5 in the Fall.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »

It's only a matter of time before all software is open-source.

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »

That is definitely very true.

helio

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »

It isn't just a driver issue as to why companies don't make games for linux.  Coder's don't tell the graphic's cards what to do because that would be too tedious and time consuming to do that for every card a player could potentially have.  They use intermediary software like DirectX to tell the card what to do. 

So if before any game companies can even begin to start making linux ports, someone has to write a robust graphics API like Directx, but for linux.  And thats just graphics....  Read more here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/directx-11-coming-to-linux-games-to-follow-whoa-slow-down-there/9776

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »

Hey, I just remembered a question I meant to ask but forgot...at least until my laptop that was running Ubuntu crashed (I'm guessing it is a hardware problem due to the fact that in the year and a half I've ran linux on this laptop I've never had it crash because of the software) Anyway my question is this...say I get an external hard drive...would it be possible to install Ubuntu on that, so that I could have a dual boot system, on one computer (which is what I'm stuck with, for now at least) without having to split the Hard Drive space between the two Operating systems?

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »

I don't see why not. Although, I'm no Linux expert. Remember, I generally don't learn something until I have a reason to do it myself. And that's something I've yet to do.

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »

Okay I just wanted to say that I have now switched entirely to Linux...though  I was wondering how do I take the free space that used to be taken up by Windows and expand my OpenSUSE partition to take up  that space?

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »

Okay I just wanted to say that I have now switched entirely to Linux...though  I was wondering how do I take the free space that used to be taken up by Windows and expand my OpenSUSE partition to take up  that space?

Good question! Let me know when you figure it out!  Tongue

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »

As a last resort method you could burn DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to a CD, and also burn your Linux OS to a CD. Back up everything you want on an external HD or wherever. Then nuke the whole computer, install Linux OS and all traces of Windows are gone forever. Of course this is the round about method, and I'm sure some tech-savvy person knows a better way. Just in case though.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: