Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2021, 06:22:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Free County Project dialog.  (Read 9401 times)
helio

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »

One of the central axioms of military doctrine is:

"March divided, fight concentrated."

We have been marching along time and scattered across the world, but now it is time to fight.  I don't mean with arms, but with ideas.  Not with words, but with actions.  We must embrace the counter economy if we are to be victorious.  My proposal is strictly designed for utility of demonstrating the state is inept at providing what a society needs.  This isn't advocated as a plan to 'live free' but rather to show that 'the more freedom people have, the better they can live'.

There are small efforts such as the Free State project that serve as a loose attempt to get liberty minded individuals closer together. However, New Hampshire is very large place.  What we need is something of smaller scale that a handful of individuals can organize.  I have some ideas, but I want your feed back.

1) We need to establish an organization to seek out the most suitable state and county in the country.  We may need legal advice on what can be achieved.  We should look for the most favorable laws in a wide range of areas.  

2) We will need to organize a land acquisition strategy.

3) We shouldn't be very vocal about what our goals are since we need to win the hearts and minds of the locals.

4) We shouldn't be disruptive of the local population's values and customs.

5)  We shouldn't participate in local politics.  The locals shouldn't feel threatened, politically, by our presence.

6) We should pick economic activities that the state isn't too interested in restricting like technology or services. We SHOULDNT start a big pot growing operation or something.

7)  We should set up our own security, courts, schools, transportation, and healthcare as our resources grow.  We don't want to be viewed by the locals as tax feeders so we should shun state services.

8 ) We should build trust with our neighbors and trade with them using alternate currencies and the like.

9). We should be kind, courteous, charitable, and helpful to win hearts and minds.

Ideas, Critiques, thoughts, suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:13:34 PM by helio » Logged

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »

Are you familiar with Grafton County, New Hampshire? They have arguably the highest percentage of anarchists in the world, followed by Cheshire County, New Hampshire.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
setherb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

http://agoristacres.com/ 
helio

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »

@Seth

Yes I have been reading about Grafton.  I think The Free Town project is not consistent with my personal feelings about how to demonstrate our ideas.  The Free Towners tried to take over Loving, Texas too.  Thats just a recipe to make a bunch of people angry at you and draw a lot of statist anti-liberty attention.  If they see our actions as a hostile take over of their system, we'll be hated and reviled.

Rather, I want a more benign and peaceful project. Not to move into some tiny town to 'take it over'.  Rather, I forsee purchasing a large parcel of isolated land and just starting our own unincorporated town.  It seems thats similar to what Agorist Acres is trying to do, but they have already damaged their brand.  This is all about marketing our ideas as acceptible and 'not so different' with soft statists.  If they can see our way of life is superior by befriending them, then our ideas will start to get traction and draw positive attention.

helio

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »

Another question I wanted to ask was,

"What would you think of using legal constructs as means of protection"?  I am naturally adverse to it, but consider this;

Towns who aren't incorporated get their services from the county and do not pay municipal taxes.  Towns that do incorporate do so to protect themselves from annexation by other towns and such.

So, the question is this: Would it be ethical to incorporate a town, set the taxes to zero, provide no services, and no zoning laws in order to prevent the county from interferring? 

The utility of doing so is high, but is it right?  We are going to have to live in a state till we can abolish it. 

setherb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »

Incorporation is legal fiction invented by the state.  I don't believe it to be ethical to use a the state for your gain. 
helio

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

Should I also quit my job?  My company receives money from clients because the fed artifically supresses the interest rate, allowing people to buy cars.  The Feds bailed out the car companies, keeping the dealer base alive, who are my company's clients.

Am I evil for this?  

*EDIT
Sorry, had abit of an emotional response there. I'll try to articulate my argument for using parts of the state to protect oneself from other parts in a moment...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:46:57 PM by helio » Logged

helio

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »

We are slaves.  We are enslaved by our neighbors, by foreigners, by people with guns.  But it isn't overt. There is a veneer of legitimacy to the whole scharade.  There is a protocol that is in place, even though it is in placed involuntarily, it is there for people to use.

We are coerced, commanded, compelled to obey.  We are not morally liable whether we obey or not because we are slaves.  When under coercion, one is absolved for the actions they are compelled to take.  There is no peaceful alternative to paying taxes, or having a drivers license, or having the mail delivered.  If we want a doctor, there is no peaceful alternative to having a state approved doctor.  

Avoidance is a critical component of ethics.  We cannot peacefully avoid living in a state, or under a tax system, or a legal protocol.  We cannot avoid having neighbors, or living on land claimed by some political authority.  As such, any action we take to manipulate that system is amoral, because we are coerced and enslaved.

When we become free, at last, and continue to use the old institutions to defend ourselves, then we become evil.

helio

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »

Although, I do have another idea over incorporating a town.  If one fellow or maybe even a few could purchase a significant enough contiguous land in a large chunk, they could then deed it out in parcels to anarchist 'homesteaders' to move there effectively creating a town.  The reason for getting this as a chunk is to cover the fact that a bunch of other people are going to move to that county.  We don't want to each try to buy a parcel, sending land prices through the roof and raising concern with the locals.

I see it as a matter of organization.  Voluntary organizing is what is needed.  Someplace like west texas where land is dirt cheap might be a good idea. It seems that many anarchists like myself are mostly broke

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »

@helio

incorporation in this case wouldn't be unethical in the way you described it because no one is being coerced. Remember why it is that we hate government. We find the institutionalization of force in human relationships to be abhorrent. Voluntary organization is not unethical, this is what separates us from ancoms. If your ancap tribe that moves into the county knows what you are going to do, then this is fine.

As far as quitting your job, that is answered in the post I just made 5 minutes ago under Voting. Make your decisions on the margin. We all do things every day that acknowledge the existence of the state.
There is no peaceful alternative to paying taxes, or having a drivers license, or having the mail delivered.
....and using fiat currency.
You being on the street because you quit working is simply a bad outcome. Your ability to contribute to the educational side of things would drop to zero.

We cannot avoid having neighbors, or living on land claimed by some political authority.
Excellent point
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:18:12 PM by JustSayNoToStatism » Logged

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Rattlesnake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:26 AM »

Someone's been reading their Sun Tzu. Smiley

While the idea of living in a free community, surrounded by like-minded voluntaryists, is truly appealing, I feel like I could do more good where I am. Here, I have the opportunity to potentially open some minds and lead through example. I don't think we'll ever be completely able to hide from the State as a community. The State seems to have an easy time demonizing those who simply wish to be left alone.

Ultimately it may be a combination of the two strategies that proves most successful - those attempting to live outside the system working with those attempting to hide within the system.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
helio

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 05:02:05 AM »

I agree that there are many paths.  The main idea isn't simply to try to have absolute liberty now as that is impossible. In a way, its not to escape the state, or to try and live our values for their own sake as we would if there were no state.  My goal for such communities (I see no reason for there to only be one) is to have them serve as laboratories to show the efficacy of  our theories.  

Usually, in argumentation, when having the ethical contradictions of the state pointed out to them, many people will fall back upon the argument of utility like,
" Yes, I see what you are saying, but how will x be done in an anarchy?" Where x is roads, schools, defense, law, or any other supposed 'public good' that only a monopoly should provide.  Simply answering how it might be done does not overcome their aversion to it.

My goal with such a community is to demonstrate as practically as possible, how such 'public goods' can be provided.  To attack the heart of the state in the minds of its supporters is to show it has lesser utility than voluntaryism. To show that the state is simply the worst possible way to provide any service at all and that all public goods are in fact just widely valued services.

I'm sure we would learn alot about putting our theories into practice as well.  Maybe it would lead to new insight.  Certainly if a bunch of anarchists cannot live together in virtual anarchy, then how could we possibly argue that it could work?  We must demonstrate how.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:37:58 AM by helio » Logged

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »

then how could we possibly argue that it could work?
We'd cite the champions of anarchist theory who have written convincing and logically sound books/essays that clearly illustrate many different ways that it would work.

And then very few people read said texts. This is why helio's right.

The synergistic effect of having people practicing (literally in the sense of an autonomous community) anarchy and preaching it would go a long way. For the preachers, how better to get people on the subject than having it constantly in the news? For the practicers, getting public opinion away from the idea of having the military come and kill you? The precedent of successful autonomy is something we are a long way from setting, but if we could do it, I'd see the fear of violence that's holding the nation-state together slowly dissipate. Of course, if we failed and got crushed, it might set us back a bit, but we're already so near the bottom that the state is ready to self-destruct, and then we'd have accelerated that process.

Win-win?

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
helio

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »

if we failed and got crushed, it might set us back a bit,

That is certainly a danger and must be carefully planned for.  That is why I recommend an incrementalist strategy.  Instead of trying to start a completely autonomous community by the bootstraps, we should tackle specific problems in the order of their controversy, from least to great, in sequence.

For example.  If 50 agorists settled into a village of their founding, and some number started growing pot, the state would rapidly shut the whole thing down and we would receive alot of negative media attention.  Even though its unanimous in our ranks that pot should be legalized.  We must pick battles we can win.

So rather, we could do something like demonstrate environmentally neutral living, by doing things like sustainable farming, generating our own energy, using neutral construction materials like Rammed Earth Housing (Which is freaking awesome btw).  That would get us a tremendous amount of positive media coverage. I would do this even though I am not really a Greener.

There are so many areas that the state is pretty passive about that demonstrating what happens when a bunch of free people get together can provoke thought in the masses who otherwise would immediately reject us if we tackled more controversal issues.  After 20 years of building rapport and trust and a good name we could raise the bar, push the boundaries, test the waters.

helio

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

As of right now, I'm heavily leaning toward the idea of buying up about 40 acres of west texas land, constructing some dwellings out of rammed earth (check out this link and watch the 4 video workshops http://www.rammedearthhomes.com/workshops.htm) and plan some agorist counter economic projects with some agoristas who would come and stay there, even if temporarily.

One of the projects that I really want to do that is near to my heart is setting up an alternative school.  Texas is pretty friendly to people who homeschool (from what I hear, but more investigation is needed).  As I am a software developer, I want to turn the whole Prussian Education system that we have on its head and use an agorist approach to education through technology.  Wouldn't even have to compete with state schools directly to show its efficacy.  

Thats one of the reasons I am looking at west texas.  Another is land is ridiculously cheap. Some goes for 300 an acre.  Another reason is the climate suits my aims at greenhouse year round agriculture.  Another is that texas has a streak of political independence so there might be some shielding from interferrence in washington.
Another is that its sparsely populated there.  There are some bad reasons but I won't go into them here.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: