Daily Anarchist Forum
October 22, 2019, 06:53:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Collective Action  (Read 5724 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:40 AM »

I'm just wondering if there is anything big that we can do to help spread the message in a collective action. I'm kind of envious about the minarchists because they seem to have big events such as money bombs and elections that sort of require big collective pushes. And because of this they seem to get a lot done.

The anarchists, however, don't seem to have any examples where we all work together on a big thing. There seems to me no sense of urgency like you get out of elections. So instead of a two year campaign, we're sort of always on campaign. And because of that, it seems we're less productive.

This could be because our numbers are miniscule compared to minarchists, which says a lot about how few of us there are. But still. There has to be enough of us to actually get something big done.

I was hoping when I built this website that the forum would become the hub of collective action and brainstorming. So far that hasn't happened. The problem is that I cannot tell if it is the website that is failing, if it is too early to tell, or is just the nature of the anarchist beast.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms are welcome.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Doguhnew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »

A collective action of any sort is difficult for contemporary anarchists. With there being many sects of anarchism, the act of coming together is a tough task. Today we have anarcho-capitalists (such as myself), anarcho-primitivists, left anarchists, right anarchists, etcetera.

Before approaching those who are statists with hopes of presenting a sound case for anarchy, we should first attempt to have more dialogue with those whom already claim some form of anarchism.

Anarchism is considered by many to be a fringe idea, understanding this allows us to move forward and bring forth more unity amongst our many sects. If we can show some unity and civility amongst ourselves, perhaps the statists (ie the majority) will notice, which will bring more exposure to the ideology. Such a tactic would be beneficial in opening the minds of those closed toward anarchy as being some form of disorderly mess not to be respected. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

I think some coalitions between red and yellow anarchists would be cool, but I don't think the reds would go for that. They want nothing to do with us.

But there is still plenty of room for AnCaps to organize and partake in large-scale collective action. I just haven't seen much of it. I'm not even sure what we would do. Any ideas?

helio

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »

Geography is the big limiting factor in my opinion.  I know that if I lived right down the road from Seth, and about 10 or 15 others, we could get together and hold events.

Anarchist Cookouts in the summer anyone?  Invite your statist friends and we'll all have a cordial chat!

Or we could go even bigger and start an anarchy festival.

How about finding someone who has a real need like an old lady needing her roof repaired or something and doing that for her.

Before people want to listen to us, they gota think we are halfway decent people.  And before that happens, they have to know we even exist.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
despicable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »

I don't even know any minarchist Libertarians, let alone anarchists. There is no one around here for me to collectively act with.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »

What about collective online action?

despicable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »

That's what I'm doing right now.  Grin
Doguhnew

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »

I feel the first step in organizing is to come together and discuss a platform of ideas we can all largely agree upon. We should start by finding out how many and which sects of anarchism we have on these boards. Are the majority of us anarcho-capitalists? Perhaps, though I doubt all of us are. I have hopes that in doing this we can collectively come up with our own "brand" (so to speak) of anarchism. This would also help to improve the site's exposure.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:50:22 AM »

In my experience all of the contributors to this forum have been anarcho-capitalists. I would love to have some variety but they stick to their own boards.

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »

The premise of this thread is proof that anarchism can't work. The state is necessary for solving collective action problems.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: