Daily Anarchist Forum
December 14, 2018, 08:16:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proton Mail  (Read 8099 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »

https://protonmail.ch/

This is probably the most secure your email can get right now.  It is hosted in Switzerland and completely encrypted.  

This isn't posted to be an ad, but I know a lot of people here value their privacy, and email is one of the worst offenders right now. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:34:20 PM by Syock » Logged

macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »

It looks promising, but I'm not quite understanding how it works.  I mean, it's one thing if nobody can get into my Inbox and read my email, but what about the people I'm sending email to or receiving email from?  If they're on Gmail or Yahoo/AT&T email, then people could still read the emails I sent or received by checking the other person's mailbox.  If so, the only secure email would be between two Proton Mail accounts, or at least, between Proton Mail and some other secured email account.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »

For starters, they don't keep an IP log, so there is no way for anyone to know what email is actually linked to you.  The email is encrypted from their server to your PC, so it can't be read on the way to you.  You can also easily send encrypted messages out to people on other networks. 

We support sending encrypted communication to non-ProtonMail users via symmetric encryption. When you send an encrypted message to a non-ProtonMail user, they receive a link which loads the encrypted message onto their browser, which they can decrypt using a passphrase that you have shared with them. You can also send unencrypted messages to Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and others, just like regular email.

The best would be to have both users in the same encrypted system, but it isn't needed. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: