Daily Anarchist Forum
November 17, 2019, 08:43:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: World Peace in 20 Words or Less!  (Read 15627 times)
FreeBornAngel

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »

It's wrong to force a person to do anything that that person doesn't want to do.

Proclaim me Rey del Mundo!

World Peace in 20 Words or Less:
It's wrong to force a person to do anything that that person doesn't want to do.
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »

It is absolutely ethical to force a person to provide restitution (even if they don't want to).
FreeBornAngel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »

OH, I left out the caveat,....

Please be sure that the answer you reference doesn't first include the violation of this axiom.

You are correct, restitution is totally within the realm of ok to force people to do.
The subject has first violated the axiom by forcing someone to do something they didn't want to do.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Do you realize you will get a staggering number of people that read this and not get it, nor agree with it?   

macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »

Do you realize you will get a staggering number of people that read this and not get it, nor agree with it?   

Exactly.  That's why we have to use a lot of words trying to explain what we mean, or find some suitable metaphor or analogy that other people "get".  And even then, they may still not agree with it.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
FreeBornAngel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »

So, I should give up and curl into a ball?

That people are not sufficiently interested in alternatives to the matrix is not a good reason to stop pointing out that what they think is reality is really an illusion.

As for the opinions that they form from their ignorance, I could care less, popular opinion doesn't impact on the truth.

What Karl Marx’s “The Communist Manifesto” was to the 19th Century, Gene Sharp’s “From Dictatorship To Democracy”  is to our globalized era. The book has spread like a prairie fire since it was written 20 years ago and has been translated by activists into more than 30 languages. It has become the bible of nonviolent revolution in the Ukraine, Tunisia, Egypt, Serbia, Iran, Burma, Georgia, Belarus, and numerous other locales.

In his manifesto, Sharp quotes a 14th Century parable by Liu-Ju:

“In the feudal state of Chu an old man survived by keeping monkeys in his service.  The people of Chu called him “jugong” (monkey master). Each morning, the old man would assemble the monkeys in his courtyard, and order the eldest one to lead the others to the mountains to gather fruits from bushes and trees. It was the rule that each monkey had to give one-tenth of his collection to the old man.  Those who failed to do so would be ruthlessly flogged.  All the monkeys suffered bitterly, but dared not complain.

“One day, a small monkey asked the other monkeys: ‘Did the old man plant all the fruit trees and bushes?’  The others said:  ‘No, they grew naturally,’ The small monkey further asked:  ‘Can’t we take the fruits without the old man’s permission?’ The others replied: ‘Yes, we all can.’ The small monkey continued: ‘Then, why should we depend on the old man; why must we all serve him?’

“Before the small monkey was able to finish his statement, all the monkeys suddenly became enlightened and awakened.

“On the same night, watching that the old man had fallen asleep, the monkeys tore down all the barricades of the stockade in which they were confined, and destroyed the stockade entirely.  They also took the fruits the old man had in storage, brought all with them to the woods, and never returned. The old man finally died of starvation.”

Yu-li-zi says, “Some men in the world rule their people by tricks and not by righteous principles. Aren’t they just like the monkey master? They are not aware of their muddle-headedness. As soon as their people become enlightened, their tricks no longer work.”

Explain to me how this authoritarian example differs from what we do every day.
One merely has to substitute boss, president, or parent for master.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:11:56 PM by FreeBornAngel » Logged

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:42:26 PM »

Did I suggest any such thing?  What is with people taking a simple statement and creating an argument against me based on their own tangent?  

Seriously, WTF?

macsnafu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »

That people are not sufficiently interested in alternatives to the matrix is not a good reason to stop pointing out that what they think is reality is really an illusion.

As for the opinions that they form from their ignorance, I could care less, popular opinion doesn't impact on the truth.

Give up?  No.  Just recognize that what you are trying to do is extremely difficult.  Recognize that some people will only learn the hard way, no matter how much you try to explain or teach something to them.  Some people must actually experience something to understand it--words simply don't tell them what they need to know. What's the old joke?  "A conservative is a liberal who was mugged"?

And occasionally take a break and come back refreshed and renewed in purpose, to reconsider what you're saying and how you're saying it, to wonder if there's a better way to express yourself, instead of merely repeating the same thing over and over again. 

And now I think I need a break: time to watch some Muppet Show episodes, or other such silliness.

FreeBornAngel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »

Exactly.  That's why we have to use a lot of words trying to explain what we mean, or find some suitable metaphor or analogy that other people "get".  And even then, they may still not agree with it.
Ok, so you point was,...what?

Give up?  No.  Just recognize that what you are trying to do is extremely difficult.

Yes, years of trying have made this obvious,...

LibertarianMoney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »

It's wrong to force a person to do anything (except restitution.) Grin

11 words. I even had room for an emoticon for word 12. You don't have to force someone to do something they want to do.

Well... In actually productive response:

I'd be hesitant to even add the restitution caveat. I feel like that caveat can be taken to mean way too many different ridiculous things to statists. Leaving it off doesn't leave the world in that bad of shape.

If someone steals my car, assuming I couldn't force them to pay me back, the world and I would still provide consequences for the action. Society naturally shames and punishes thieves. Good luck getting hired when you're a known thief. If society didn't have mother government trying to punish people, they'd be more inclined to punish people through exclusion from society so we'd see it significantly more often. Government often directly restricts people from excluding people right now, that instantly skews our ability to see it.

My guess would be that restitution would be a natural means to get societal forgiveness for your crimes. A thief looking for a job might have to pay restitution to prove he or she changed. Extra restitution could help make the case even stronger.

Exclusion, shaming, and plenty of other tactics could make the restitution caveat a bit dangerous in the average person's mind.

That's just my thoughts though.

Samarami

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »

I herewith proclaim world peace, since the world revolves around my belly-button -- not yours.  My world.

Sam
Samarami

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »

The world revolves around my bellybutton, not yours.  My world.  I am at peace.  Therefore we have world peace.  Sam
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »

The world revolves around my bellybutton, not yours.  My world.  I am at peace.  Therefore we have world peace.  Sam

Voted Best In Class

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
macsnafu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

This is obviously wrong.  Clearly, the world revolves around MY bellybutton, not yours.

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:46:10 AM »

World peace is NEVER going to happen, period.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: