Daily Anarchist Forum
June 21, 2021, 06:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refute-A-Quote 7  (Read 5543 times)
Mr.Mister

True Capitalism is a Hellish road to Heaven

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »

I THINK that a lie is being told in this one, but I'll leave that to the commentors.

This is probably the simplest one to crack, though it's worth noting that it's a new challenge we haven't addressed, so...

Good luck! (you probably won't need it).

Let's also try to be polite and not stoop down to this gentleman's level of maturity, OK?

"Oh? We have ignored history? You do know that the countries that had the principles of the free market forced upon them in the beginning of the 1800:s are today's third world, while countries that utterly ignored these principles are today's ruling fucking powers, right? You do know that Revolutionary Catalonia existed, and worked for several years, right? No? Well, fuck!"
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

"Oh? We have ignored history? You do know that the countries that had the principles of the free market forced upon them in the beginning of the 1800:s are today's third world, while countries that utterly ignored these principles are today's ruling fucking powers, right? You do know that Revolutionary Catalonia existed, and worked for several years, right? No? Well, fuck!"

What history shows is simply that those who have had relatively greater economic freedom have progressed the most.  I'm not sure which countries he's referring to as having the principles of the free market forced upon them, but he can't be talking about countries like the United States, Canada, Australia.  In any case, if it was "forced", then they didn't have the freedom to voluntarily adopt the principles, and probably had a bad case of culture shock and misunderstandings about how a free market was supposed to work.   It's sort of similar to trying to force democracy on a nation like Iraq.  It just doesn't work that way.  You don't "force" freedom on people, you simply stop restricting their freedom. 

It's true that the Soviet Union and China were considered superpowers, but the Soviet Union clearly wasn't working very well, and wouldn't have survived as long as it did if the United States hadn't loaned them grain and credit at critical times like the late 1920s and the early 1950s.  Russia is still a threat today, but not the "superpower" that the Soviet Union was considered to be.

China was originally very isolationist, and didn't really break out of that until the 20th century.  Even then, they weren't exactly considered a superpower as they were considered mysterious, and with a vast population.  People feared them more for what they didn't know but imagined (The Yellow Peril) than for anything they actuallly knew about China.  In more recent times they've certainly become a superpower, but China has also been granting its citizens more economic freedom than in the past, as well.

And sure, I've heard of Revolutionary Catalonia, although I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to prove.  It only lasted about three years (is that "several"?) before the Spanish military defeated them and re-unified them with Spain.  So they didn't really have a chance to show how well (or how poorly) they would have peformed.  Although from what I've read, they did some pretty drastic things starting off.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Mr.Mister

True Capitalism is a Hellish road to Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

Good answer, but...

I think we need more coverage over what he must be historically referring to...colonialist capitalism and protectionism.

Oh well...I guess this will have to do.
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »

I'd be glad to cover whatever he's referring to, if I only knew what. But if he doesn't mention it, I can only guess.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
faizrasoool450

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »

Well said. I agree with you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: