Daily Anarchist Forum
November 22, 2019, 07:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Responses to this anti ancap video?  (Read 3718 times)
cookie1608
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:23:28 AM »

Hi guys,
I was scanning youtube and came over this video by an anarcho-communist claiming that ancaps aren't anarchists, I have heard this argument before but this is the first time I've seen the details and I was wondering how you guys would respond to this.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9gBRZeZ1c
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:40:55 AM »

It is a common argument made by nearly all anarchists of every type, that their group are the only real anarchists.  Personally I think it is pretty easy to sort out.  Here are some threads on it:

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2383.0.html
https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2873.0.html - this one has links I made as well

You should practice with the forum search function.  Odds are everything has been discussed before. 

anarchoguitarist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:50:07 AM »

Hi guys,
I was scanning youtube and came over this video by an anarcho-communist claiming that ancaps aren't anarchists, I have heard this argument before but this is the first time I've seen the details and I was wondering how you guys would respond to this.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ9gBRZeZ1c

Hi Cookie,

1) This guy is not an anarchist, nor is he an anarcho-communist. He is a communist, maoist, marxist or whatever.

2) He is only quoting the writings of other anarchists, he puts forward no arguments that prove that anarchism is not compatible with private property. Just because some anarchists in the past rejected the concept of private property, doesn't mean that private property contradicts the concept of anarchism.  I respect many of the early anarchists, but they did not have a good understanding of capital or of economics in general. The field of economics has advanced since their day.  Anarchists don't blindly follow the traditions of earlier anarchists. Perhaps this is a good argument from this guy's point of view.  Perhaps a quote from Marx or Mao or some other authority is all one needs to prove a point to him. True anarchists, however, don't blindly follow the teachings of earlier anarchists.

3) I find it interesting that he claims that Ancaps have stolen the word anarchy.  This is coming from a guy who rejects private property.  How can you steal if everyone owns everything? How can you steal a word?  

I think this guy is just getting desperate.  He hates ancaps so much, that he just calls them a bunch of names (thieves) and resorts to quoting Anarchist "authorities" that he doesn't even agree with. Perhaps he hates ancaps so much because ancaps show him to be what he really is:  An authoritarian statist who believes in a 19th century contradictory and utopian fantasy.  He likes to put on the front of a "Rebel," but he is nothing of the sort.  He is a follower.  He wants men like Mao and Stalin to rule over him, or even worse, he wants to rule as they did.  I think this video is a good sign.  Guys like this are getting frustrated because they are seeing more and more ancaps online.  If this is the best argument they can come up with, we don't have much to worry about.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:27:51 AM by anarchoguitarist » Logged
cookie1608
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:14 AM »

Thanks guys,
I wonder what makes communists think that communism will work when it has been proved over and over that it doesn't, admittedly it has never been combined with anarchy but I still can't see it working.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »

Thanks guys,
I wonder what makes communists think that communism will work when it has been proved over and over that it doesn't, admittedly it has never been combined with anarchy but I still can't see it working.

The problem is they can't combine it with anarchy.  People voluntarily work and trade underground in communist societies in order to survive (capitalism).  To the vast majority of them, that can not be allowed as it meets their definition of hierarchy, and the ones attempting to survive are more or less breaking their laws.  They get so hung up on what they think is slavery that they forget the individual. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: