Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2019, 05:30:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Military's new "Iron Man" suit  (Read 5448 times)
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/military-39-39-iron-man-39-suit-may-141715486.html

I'll admit this elicits mixed feelings in me. On one hand, it's the military that developed this, and probably, in a remarkably inefficient manner that drove up the costs far beyond what they should have been. On the other hand...it's a fucking IRON MAN SUIT!!!! Sure it's no where near as advanced as the actual Iron Man suit from the movies  was but still!! If this was from any organization, with any purpose other than it's martial purpose, I would be overjoyed. But unfortunately that isn't the case.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »

It hasn't even been made yet. Sounds like a boondoggle. I hope they fail. They're scary enough as is.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

It hasn't even been made yet. Sounds like a boondoggle. I hope they fail. They're scary enough as is.

Seconded, but guerillas take the weapons of their enemy. So yeah maybe one day if this is built we will be the ones wearing it.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
templariomaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »

With open source work, this can be replied maybe not at military level since they have the monopoly of high end industries, but definely cheaper and quicker to make(open source is  DIY dependent so it needs to be cheap and easy to make all in relative levels of course).
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »

Seconded, but guerillas take the weapons of their enemy. So yeah maybe one day if this is built we will be the ones wearing it.

Why not just go remote control/automated?  Why put yourself at risk?

templariomaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »

It really depends on the tecnology you have at your disposal or the engineers you have in your guerrilla to capture and maintain such "toys".

It would be logical that things like bots and UAVs would be expensive and rare and only used in special moments to keep them out of risk as much as you can, unless you can buy or make them easily. Humans are still absurdly cheap to use as force and even more desirable, since humans can have peaceful intentions and camuflage between the population or learn and improve in even more cheap ways.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

It really depends on the tecnology you have at your disposal or the engineers you have in your guerrilla to capture and maintain such "toys".

It would be logical that things like bots and UAVs would be expensive and rare and only used in special moments to keep them out of risk as much as you can, unless you can buy or make them easily. Humans are still absurdly cheap to use as force and even more desirable, since humans can have peaceful intentions and camuflage between the population or learn and improve in even more cheap ways.

Humans are cheap in some societies.  In others they are the most expensive thing going.  If MAM was defending an ancap society, people would be at a premium.  There are not trillions of us to throw at the enemy. 

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »

Fully automated military? Sounds like a good idea to me.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not.  So much is lost in text. 

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not.  So much is lost in text. 

There are pitfalls but being able to wage a war from behind a computer screen would be awesome for the Civ using it. Imagine being able to occupy a country and none of your citizens risk the front lines?

Optimally of course War would cease to be a thing, but I have my doubts about the plausibility of an end to war.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
templariomaster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »

Hacking cant win wars, as tanks or planes cant win wars by themselves,  you still need people to occupy and maintain positions, is a tool not a main front.

And forget about hacking an entire country, efective hacking is a mix of social engineering and the use of exploits in security, can you get lucky and gain access to CIA or FBI? of course, but you cant rely on that and even if you gain access that doesnt mean that the entire institution is under your control.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

Hacking cant win wars, as tanks or planes cant win wars by themselves,  you still need people to occupy and maintain positions, is a tool not a main front.

And forget about hacking an entire country, efective hacking is a mix of social engineering and the use of exploits in security, can you get lucky and gain access to CIA or FBI? of course, but you cant rely on that and even if you gain access that doesnt mean that the entire institution is under your control.

I don't think hacking was even suggested.  It might be a good component to add though.  I am not sure what you mean by hacking an entire country.  Personally I would think hacking the military systems would be the thing to do.  The civilian stuff isn't a direct threat. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:34:07 PM by Syock » Logged

templariomaster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »

Hacking the military should be taken as a support way, because the more you ciberattack someone the more he will learn about his flaws and fix them(maybe creating others but at military levels every exploit should be treated as a treasure)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »

Hacking the military should be taken as a support way, because the more you ciberattack someone the more he will learn about his flaws and fix them(maybe creating others but at military levels every exploit should be treated as a treasure)

Are you suggesting there is an alternative hack that would be even more effective?  An assault hack, rather than support? 

Montanarchist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »

If illiterate Finnish Reindeer Herders could take out Soviet tanks in 1940 with a glass bottle full of gas and some storm matches (the first Molotov Cocktails) we can figure out how to take out these.

"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it!"
-The Riddle of Steel

"The more I see of what you call civilization, the more highly I think of what you call savagery!"
-Robert E Howard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: