Daily Anarchist Forum
September 28, 2020, 11:50:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The World of Warcraft Effect: Why Bitcoin will always be on top  (Read 3506 times)
r3VOLutionRefugee

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »

http://youtu.be/6vZbUbOplRI
toa

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »

I'm not so sure about your conclusion. As far as the current round of crypto-currencies are concerned, I think you are probably right. But that doesn't bar improvements that incorporate some similar aspects of bitcoin. Also, I couldn't help but think myspace and facebook. I think bitcoin the protocal will be around for a long time, bitcoin the currency, only time will tell.
r3VOLutionRefugee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »

I'm not so sure about your conclusion. As far as the current round of crypto-currencies are concerned, I think you are probably right. But that doesn't bar improvements that incorporate some similar aspects of bitcoin. Also, I couldn't help but think myspace and facebook. I think bitcoin the protocal will be around for a long time, bitcoin the currency, only time will tell.

Tech companies often overtake each other, but I definitely don't think my theory applies to every technology.  I just wanted to address two very specific things: MMOs and crypto currencies.  And I certainly agree that the bitcoin protocol will be around for a long time, but the protocol and the currency are essentially the same thing, are they not?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:11:05 PM by r3VOLutionRefugee » Logged
toa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

protocol and the currency are essentially the same thing, are they not?

Not really. Someone can just fork the code and or the protocal and call it by another name. Which is already being done, as well as changing aspects of it.
Martin Brock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »

Suppose the Bitcoin miners/double-spending-police adopt a revision of the software designed to stabilize the price of bitcoins, at $500/bitcoin say, by 1) raising the ceiling on the number of bitcoins that miners can produce and/or 2) expiring bitcoins that have not circulated for a period of time. If the miners adopt either or both of these revisions, have they defrauded current Bitcoin holders, and if they have, so what?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: