Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2021, 07:32:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding Compassion  (Read 4694 times)
GudOleRebel

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:22 PM »

I happened on the Daily Anarchist by chance and Iím glad I did.  Before I found Daily Anarchist, LRC was often my only source of sanity.  Iím glad I found another.

I read Sethís testimonial and one line in particular stuck in my head, that being, ďcompassion for the truly believing leftists of the world.Ē I rarely, if ever, think of leftists and compassion at the same time.  I find history hard to forget. 

Although, Iím a Christian, forgiveness is a gift that I find difficult to accept at times, especially in terms of people that constantly, and without provocation "let loose on us the dogs war."

I donít believe these people are misguided or well meaning, I believe their are either grotesquely stupid or inherently evil. 

I have no common ground with a species whose life blood is the certainty that they are entitled to another personís labor and/or property without just and agreed upon recompense. This line of thinking makes them, at best, common criminals, at worst megalomania-cal sociopaths. 

To forgive them for the carnage, death and misery that they inflict on others, time and time again, will take a much better man than me.

I pray only that they someday rot in the swill of their like and that posterity forgets they were my countrymen.

God help us!

-GudOleRebel
Intuition

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:42:09 AM »

GudOle--

I certainly understand your unabashed contempt for those people who lay claim to another's person or property.

However, I must ask, have you always fully understood the anarchist concepts you have now internalized? I only ask that because, in my case, it was only a few years ago that I was still captivated by the establishment's indoctrination regime to the point of accepting the State as a "necessary evil". If there was a time in your life when you hadn't completely internalized the morality and truth of anarchism as the right and just way of life, then I submit to you that those whom you judge are simply behind your curve of personal development.

You cannot force anyone along faster than they can manage. Trust me. I try it all the time. And it makes me feel like I'm running full speed into a brick wall wearing no helmet or padding. But I can't stop trying--which is why I completely understand the emotion embedded in your post.

I just want to try to get you to understand that the most evil, most corrupt, most naive, most stupid people among humanity actually deserve the most compassion out of anyone. You see: they are the most lost. They are the furthest from the righteous path. They are the ones who have yet to even understand that justice exists. I can't imagine how dark their world must be to not have realized that such truths exist OR to recognize such truths and reject them outright. Can you imagine what that does to a person's soul? Imagine the pain they've buried within themselves and covered it up over time with hatred, enmity, and whatever other outwardly projected evil they could come up with.

That's how I try to remind myself to feel compassion for folks like that. I'm not perfect at accomplishing that goal, not by any means.

But I think that reminding ourselves of that compassion and empathy for humanity in general can actually serve our interests as political activists--it can influence our language and improve our ability to connect with people.

OK, OK...I'm done rambling now.  Smiley
GudOleRebel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »

Intuition:
George W. Bush was the impetus to my conversion from naive neo-con, to free market Libertarian, to, finally the path of truth, Anarcho-Capitalist, if I may borrow Seth's phrase.

The endless warfare state and patriot act where to final primers to my conversion.

As I think about my past, however, at heart I've always been an anarchist, I just needed time to realize it.

Anyway, I will take your advice and try to feel some compassion for these sociopaths, however, forgiveness for the carnage they inflict may be a more difficult gift to accept.

God help us!
-GudOleRebel
FormerlyBrainwashed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:50 PM »

You cannot force anyone along faster than they can manage. )

Very true!
Waleis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »

I'm an atheist, so I don't really have much drive to "forgive" the individuals who make the world a worse place. It seems to me that people are inherently good, but do evil things out of ignorance. This is how I see such people: Inherently good, but so ignorant of the truth, and ignorant of other people's pain, that they continue to cause harm. Quality education (of all kinds) is the key to a more verdant world. The fight against ignorance is key.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

I agree with most of the posts here. I know quite a few die hard lefties who genuinely believe that what they are doing is good; I can't call them evil. I can't really call it stupidity because these are otherwise intelligent people. I would be okay with calling them "uneducated" in certain areas. This is the logical consequence of government's grip on education. There's a boatload of economic, historical, and philosophical arguments and evidence against the desirability of a state. The state's job is to hide it, and then make up something self-flattering to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately it means that many so-called educated people know very little, and have not spent much time thinking.

Having been one of these people in the past, I know with certainty that my intent was never evil. I did not understand why a central authority was dangerous, and believed that the welfare state was designed to help poor people, and that police were meant to serve and protect.

Despite the grim reality of the lack of education people receive, I am still optimistic. Even after 18 years of indoctrination, it did not take very much time to learn enough to dispel the lies I had been fed....The Truth Will Win Out!!!

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
FormerlyBrainwashed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:02 PM »

I agree with most of the posts here. I know quite a few die hard lefties who genuinely believe that what they are doing is good...

Just remember the ignorance is no less on the so-called "right."
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

I agree with most of the posts here. I know quite a few die hard lefties who genuinely believe that what they are doing is good...

Just remember the ignorance is no less on the so-called "right."

For sure. I didn't mean to make it seem like I was singling them out, it's just that I was a leftie more recently than a rightie (hence the comparison to my former self), and I go to "school" at UW-Madison, communist nation, and am surrounded by leftie friends.

And as a correction to my previous post on this thread, perhaps a better word than uneducated would be naive, or ignorant. These people are programmed to recite things, so they are educated, just horribly unaware of alternative ideas and the logical inconsistencies of their own.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
helio

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »

@Intuition
You are absolutely right. 

@GudOleRebel
When I first realized that I was an anarchist, and realized that the state is an idea that causes much evil and suffering, I too felt a sense of anger and anxiety for those who cheered it on in its terrible methods.  For awhile, I hoped there would be a bunch of angry people rise up, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized what Rothbard said is true...

"War is the health of the state". 

So, if anger, and fear, and hatred leads to actions that increase the power of the state, then I should do the opposite of those things.  I should be kind, and compassionate, trusting, and forgiving.  I know this sounds alot like what Christianity teaches, but I am an atheist so thats not really operative for me.  I think virtue will be more effective in reaching our goals.  Certainly not everyone will respond to them as they are foreign ideas to alot of people in our society these days.  Time will tell.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: