Daily Anarchist Forum
August 20, 2019, 09:36:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Move to New Hampshire  (Read 4824 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »

please.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »

I am curious as to what led to this thread. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

Nothing.

state hater

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:59:51 AM »

I will move there soon.

"The time to sit idly by has passed, to remain neutral is to be complicit, just doing your job is not an excuse, and the line in the sand has been drawn between we the people, and the criminals in Washington, DC."  Adam Kokesh
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:12:45 AM »

Well I made it most of the way there, but stopped in lovely Canada for a while before finding what's next. Don't think I will be moving back to the U.S.

But I totally need to come see you in NH again some time Seth. It's been too long. I hadn't even met Jeff Berwick yet last time we hung out!

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:56 AM »

To be honest, if I were already situated outside the US I wouldn't come back. And I think if I ever leave the US again, I won't be coming back. New Hampshire is the only state I care to live in, and if I leave I'll sort of have a "been there done that" attitude towards New Hampshire in the future, and won't want to come back, except to visit.

That being said, I'm not ready to bail on New Hampshire at this point.

Are you planning on staying in Canada or going elsewhere?

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

I was planning on becoming more transient again after I secure my second travel permission slip, but I really truly like the situation here and will likely be spending a large portion of my time here, even if I'm traveling/working elsewhere.

Being free of the paranoia/fear "background radiation" that exists in the United States feels absolutely wonderful. Also, since the prisons don't have quotas stated in their contracts, arrest rates for non violent crimes are so so so much lower and police much more reasonable.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
LibertarianMoney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »

I've been considering a short term move to New Hampshire but I figure I'm out of the states in the next two or three years anyway. (I'd be gone by now but damn my girlfriends student loans...)

I think that's probably New Hampshire's biggest threat to pulling it off. By the time the serious motivation to change is in place, the motivation is going to be strong enough to get them even farther away.

I really hope that I'm wrong about that. Very few things would make me happier than finding a little liberty oasis is the states (and most of the things that would make me happier involve supermodels, peanut butter, and copious amounts money.)

I might end up going for the short term just to meet some liberty minded people.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »

I think New Hampshire is a great gateway drug.

A lot of people talk about leaving the country, but they never do. And then they end up staying in podunksville when they should have at least moved to New Hampshire.

My recommendation for people is not to make it all or nothing. Start with New Hampshire and if in the future you still leave the country, great. But if not, at least you're in New Hampshire.

Victor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »

@Seth

You've said in the past that you think not everyone who moves to New Hampshire will sign the Free State Project pledge. Do you have any estimate as to how many libertarians/anarchists have moved there, just out of curiosity?

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »

@Seth

You've said in the past that you think not everyone who moves to New Hampshire will sign the Free State Project pledge. Do you have any estimate as to how many libertarians/anarchists have moved there, just out of curiosity?

I do not. It's not an insignificant number though, if I had to guess.

Victor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »

@Seth

I do not. It's not an insignificant number though, if I had to guess.

You tempt me so badly to ask for your operational definition of "insignificant", but it would probably just amount to me reasking the question. Tongue

Anywho, I basically only know one other anarchist in person, so I'd certainly enjoy meeting some more. I'd honestly like to travel around and visit different intentional communities just to see what sort of lives the residents lead, but right now I have more pressing matters.

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
LibertarianMoney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 07:57:20 PM »

I think New Hampshire is a great gateway drug.

A lot of people talk about leaving the country, but they never do. And then they end up staying in podunksville when they should have at least moved to New Hampshire.

My recommendation for people is not to make it all or nothing. Start with New Hampshire and if in the future you still leave the country, great. But if not, at least you're in New Hampshire.

Very true. I should keep that in mind.

I've actually moved out for a while. It's certainly not peachy keen in the places I've been so far.

I even ended up telling my girlfriend that leaving the country was more important than our relationship a few months ago :/. oops. I need to learn that thing called compromise. New Hampshire might be reasonable.

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

I even ended up telling my girlfriend that leaving the country was more important than our relationship a few months ago :/. oops. I need to learn that thing called compromise.

There are people in life who, upon hearing your dreams or ambitions, will push you not only to pursue them, but to pursue them with a level of enthusiasm and expectation excellence that exceeds even your own. You don't leave these people behind. They just don't come along physically. In the information age they are the ones who stay in touch without ever promising to stay in touch.

Then there are people in life who, upon hearing your dreams and realizing they are not also "theirs", will greet them with indifference at best and active opposition at worst. These are the people who will make the most noise about how they will miss you or how they don't want you to go, but after you do, there will only be silence from them. Although at one time they may have had local physical proximity to you, they never shared intellectual proximity.

There are intellectuals, anarchists, and lovers everywhere on this planet. The really amazing ones don't think that they are such special gems that your world should revolve around them. This trait will make you want your world to revolve around them, at least when possible in the physical dimension.

My suggestion is to be honestly and unapologetically free. This is the only way to find others who are, and who understand and accept everything that this entails. These people will never hold you back, but they will push you forward, sometimes uncomfortably, into embracing what you yourself claim to believe (even if it's not what they believe). They are only comfortable to be around if you can be 100% real with yourself.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:37:13 PM by David Giessel » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: