Daily Anarchist Forum
September 29, 2020, 12:23:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Too many fees in an Ancap society?  (Read 11229 times)
tonypeck

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »

While reading the chapter in Rothbard's "For A New Liberty" about society and fees and roads etc.  it seemed to me that when everything becomes privatized that there may be so many fees for usage of such things (roads, tolls, etc.) that it'll almost be as much of a price as we currently pay in taxes today.  I know Rothbard's hypothetical structures of how a society would function is only just one of countless ideas, but he was describing having cameras and such that track how many times you use a certain road and you will be charged based on that, but that seems a bit excessive, what if you pass a camera and then realized you forgot something at home then you have to pass the camera two or three more times.  That might be a silly example, but I guess my main question here is how would fees and tolls be managed so that they all won't amount to a grand total that is essentially the same as we pay in taxes currently?
state hater

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

Private enterprises are vastly more efficient than public sector agencies.

"The time to sit idly by has passed, to remain neutral is to be complicit, just doing your job is not an excuse, and the line in the sand has been drawn between we the people, and the criminals in Washington, DC."  Adam Kokesh
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »

That might be a silly example, but I guess my main question here is how would fees and tolls be managed so that they all won't amount to a grand total that is essentially the same as we pay in taxes currently?

Well lets say the price comes out the same.  I suspect it will be similar also at least for things like roads (we wouldn't need the alphabet soup of agencies in ancap).  Who would you rather answer to, the IRS and police, or a company with a bill for you?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:04:14 AM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »

I think there's a good chance that the roads will end up similar to the internet. You pay a monthly fee and get to drive just about everywhere.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
kunkmiester

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »

You'll also be using a lot of intermediaries that minimize that actual number of payments you make.  Fire and "police" for example will probably actually be paid through your insurance company, so while it might be an item on the bill, you'll be paying for multiple things at once.  The insurance company will probably also seek to minimize the cost.

Evil is evil, no matter how small.
tonypeck

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »

Thats true, there definitely are efficient ways of going about it.  And I also agree that regardless, it is still better than having the IRS and such to answer to
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »

What would really suck is if you're foreign, have no idea where you're going and flip a bitch multiple times.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Martin Brock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »

Anarcho-capitalism doesn't rule out collective ownership. Home owners in a neighborhood may jointly own neighborhood roads through a homeowner's association for example. A covenant between neighbors may require each neighbor to sell his home only to a buyer accepting the covenant and thus agreeing to contribute to the maintenance of neighborhood roads. An association of this kind may also associate with other associations, so persons in different neighborhoods may agree to contribute to roads joining neighborhoods.

Toll roads are also possible, but without a state owning roads, I don't expect most roads to be toll roads. Most roads presumably would be owned jointly by the people using them most, like homeowners in a neighborhood or businesses in a business district. These people would welcome others to use the roads with few restrictions. I wouldn't charge a visitor to my home to drive on my neighborhood's roads any more than I charge visitors to sit on my couch or watch my television now. A business wouldn't charge customers to drive on roads leading to the business any more than it charges customers to park in its parking lot now.
The_Kid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »

What would be the difference in what you would be paying to the private owners vs the state? To me the private market would dictate what you pay but also not have a cap in toll increases. This could lead to paying more in fees than taxes....
What say you
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »

What would be the difference in what you would be paying to the private owners vs the state? To me the private market would dictate what you pay but also not have a cap in toll increases. This could lead to paying more in fees than taxes....
What say you

Competition keeps any one supplier from charging some crazy amount.  If the price gets too high, someone else will have the bright idea to undercut them.  If the higher fees lead to improvements people want, then they will pay the higher fees. 

The_Kid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

Yes I agree, but when it comes to roads and bridges you cant compete unless you build multiple bridges which isnt going to happen.
What would I do travel using another road when the only access is one road?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »

Yes I agree, but when it comes to roads and bridges you cant compete unless you build multiple bridges which isnt going to happen.
What would I do travel using another road when the only access is one road?

Ever been to Paris? There's like 50 bridges that cross the Seine River.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
The_Kid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »

Good point (Paris bridges)....I assume that in order to be competitive they would need to build more roads and more bridges and then charge a fee in order to travel and you determine which way you want to travel?
Or I believe I read before that the owners could agree to a fee to travel all roads which would be like a monthly bill
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2067.0.html

The_Kid

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »

Thank you..Good read
Pages: [1] 2
  Print