Daily Anarchist Forum
February 01, 2023, 08:01:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So I decided to take a swing at a "Declaration of Individual Independence"  (Read 4539 times)
Intuition

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

I hold these truths to be self-evident: that I own my body, life, and all products of my labor; that no other person has any claim on such things absent my informed voluntary consent; that I have the right to defend myself against any and all usurpations of my self-ownership by using any force as may be necessary; and that any and all instances where violence is initiated are abjectly immoral in civilized society.

It is a historical fact that groups have repeatedly and justly claimed the power to throw off the shackles of a given government whenever a group decides that a government has begun to destroy its members' rights. Given this fact, combined with the reality that any group's rightful authority depends upon and is wholly derived from each individual group member's rights, every individual must also possess the right to throw off the shackles of any government when that individual decides the government has become destructive of her rights.

Each and every government instituted among humans has been built upon the foundation of destroying the rights of the individual through the initiation of violence or the threat thereof. It is, therefore, inherently just and righteous for any individual to end his association with his respective government. No government can lay rightful claim to the natural rights enjoyed by free men. Every government relies upon initiating force to claim whatever it chooses from its subjects' lives and labor.

In contemplation of the foregoing, I hereby renounce any subjugation of myself to government. No amount of force will henceforth convince me to submit to authority unwillingly. No amount of fear will coerce me to sacrifice my natural rights.

I am now my own sovereign. I will rule myself according to the first principles of my morality and I expect others to respect my self-rule as I, in turn, respect their self-rule. I shall only be right in interfering with another when another initiates force against an individual's natural rights.

So be it said and so shall it be.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »

Well said. Since I became an anarchist a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Before, I had to convince everybody else to choose freedom. Then I realized that I had to first choose it for myself and lead by example. Brave souls have risked their lives for freedom. I figure if one is willing to risk their life they might as well be willing to risk a little jail time.

Very few libertarians commit state crimes that would mean the death penalty. Once one loses the fear of imprisonment freedom becomes possible in a way it never used to be.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Intuition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, brother. I agree that it is liberating even to merely consciously accept anarchism as an ideology, much less begin to act positively on the beliefs.

I think it might be interesting to have a running series that includes different authors' individual Declarations of Independence. It's a cathartic experience to write it out in one's own words, IMO, and while they could end up becoming repetitive as front page posts, I have a feeling that anarchists are diverse, clever, and intelligent enough to keep it fairly interesting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: