Daily Anarchist Forum
January 24, 2022, 05:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: AnCap and Armed?  (Read 11282 times)
SimonJester

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »

So, this is a personal hobby-horse of mine, and if it offends you or fails to interest you, feel free to pass it on by.

I am curious, and would like to get some feedback and... Take the group's temperature, if you will.

If we reject the idea of govt. troops/cops protecting us (and our families), (they've said they can't, and the nine wise men have ruled they don't have to) and if we wish (to the extent possible) to protect ourselves (and our families) from government aggression, then it seems to me, at least until (and probably still after) private security and conflict resolution firms get off the ground in a major way, we must look toward protecting ourselves.

My interest is as follows (too complicated for a poll):

1) Have you decided to arm yourself and obtain training?  
   a) if yes, why?  What arms and training did you select?  Why?
   b) if no, why?  What measures have you taken instead? (Alarm, dog, private security, etc.)

2) Have you ever, personally, been the victim of a violent crime?  (Did it/would it) alter your views?  How?  

3) Are you interested in obtaining arms/training but haven't, yet?  What's stopping you?  Are you interested in information as to how?

4) If you've chosen to own/carry arms, have you gone the "legit", govt. permission-slip route, or the free-market, "don't get caught" route?  Why?

I'm hoping for a productive discussion on both the pragmatic and moral aspects of self-defense, and the preparation for it.  I'm not looking for dogmatic or antagonistic attacks, I'm looking to have a friendly and open discussion about personal security in the modern world.  If you're not up for that, I ask, respectfully, that you stay out of this thread.  

I will answer all my own questions, but would rather hear from others, first.  I won't mock, insult, or disparage any opinion.  If anything I've asked treads on security info you'd rather keep confidential, please feel free to ignore that portion and answer only the portions you're willing to share.  

I forgot: In what country do you live?  Are you ex-military?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:48:30 AM by SimonJester » Logged

When a man speaks of Honor, make him pay cash.  -R.A.Heinlein
SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »

Nine views, so far, no answers. Verboten subject?

SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:02:44 AM by SimonJester » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

In the last two days you've asked

A. Are you depressed

and

B. Are you armed

YOU'RE A FED!!!!!!!!!!!

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Victor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Seth
In the last two days you've asked

A. Are you depressed

and

B. Are you armed

YOU'RE A FED!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the person who posted the depression poll, not Simon. Tongue

@Simon: I'm too young and too broke to have gotten into arms training. Tongue Well, that's not quite true, I've had friends and such show me the basics of how to handle a gun, both a handgun and a shotgun, but I don't own a gun. I think it's perfectly moral for people to take whatever measures are necessary to defend themselves. But I've never gotten comfortable enough with a weapon to feel like I ought to being carrying or anything like that. I'm just not the sort of person who needs to be handling weapons I think.

Also, I have depression, as I mentioned in my poll, and to be honest I'm kind of scared to own weapons because of that. So that's part of it.

Sorry I didn't go through and answer all your questions, but I guess the topic mostly doesn't apply to me. :/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:54:19 PM by Victor » Logged

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

My bad!  Lips sealed

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »

I'm the person who posted the depression poll, not Simon. Tongue

@Simon: I'm too young and too broke to have gotten into arms training. Tongue Well, that's not quite true, I've had friends and such show me the basics of how to handle a gun, both a handgun and a shotgun, but I don't own a gun. I think it's perfectly moral for people to take whatever measures are necessary to defend themselves. But I've never gotten comfortable enough with a weapon to feel like I ought to being carrying or anything like that. I'm just not the sort of person who needs to be handling weapons I think.

Also, I have depression, as I mentioned in my poll, and to be honest I'm kind of scared to own weapons because of that. So that's part of it.

Sorry I didn't go through and answer all your questions, but I guess the topic mostly doesn't apply to me. :/

On the contrary, I think the topic applies to you just fine, and I think your answer is entirely reasonable.  My best friend is an army vet who chooses not to keep weapons around due to periodic bouts of severe depression, and that seems like solid thinking, to me.  Part of the whole "individual rights come with responsibilities" thinking for me is that people must regulate themselves, and, in many cases, say: "yes, I have this right, and no, it's not a good idea."

I am curious whether you've taken any alternative steps for your personal security, though.  I think most people have, at least to some degree, even if only things like building habit patterns of locking doors all the time, or paying a bit more rent to live in a nicer neighborhood. 

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »

Simon, there are tons of lurkers on this forum.  Don't worry about the view count and give it some time.  

b) if no, why?  What measures have you taken instead? (Alarm, dog, private security, etc.)

I grew up with weapons.  It started with pellet guns and sling shots and martial arts.  Later on I was given bows and crossbows.  There are a variety of firearms in my home now, mostly inherited, along with the previous weapons.  There is also an alarm system connected to a private company that contacts emergency services automatically.  

2) Have you ever, personally, been the victim of a violent crime?  (Did it/would it) alter your views?  How?  

Not unless you count grade school stuff as a crime.  

3) Are you interested in obtaining arms/training but haven't, yet?  What's stopping you?  Are you interested in information as to how?

I have a lifetime membership with Frontsight.  They have insane prices 99% of the time, but if you wait for the sale...   It cost me $100 for all the training I ever want.  

4) If you've chosen to own/carry arms, have you gone the "legit", govt. permission-slip route, or the free-market, "don't get caught" route?  Why?

It is legal to buy most firearms from a private seller without the government permission slip.  The only don't get caught part comes in with a CC permit.  

Unfortunately with my current jobs, I am often working with/near police and military in places where it is prohibited for me to carry a weapon.  Having a knife is a crime on site as well.  I just don't carry anything there.  The risk of getting in trouble with them is greater than the risk of needing a weapon in my opinion.  

I forgot: In what country do you live?  Are you ex-military? Are you a "combat-vet"?

USA, no, no.  

I am curious whether you've taken any alternative steps for your personal security, though.  I think most people have, at least to some degree, even if only things like building habit patterns of locking doors all the time, or paying a bit more rent to live in a nicer neighborhood.  

I lock every door I go through and it drives people nuts.  Heheh
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:29:16 AM by Syock » Logged

SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

Thanks, Syock.  I'm aware of the legality of buying firearms from non-dealers in most states in the US, here in Cali that's not a (legal) option.  I attend school here and can't carry so much as a pocketknife on campus, so I feel you there.  It's particularly ironic because my classes are in a machine shop.  Apparently I can be trusted with a five pound crescent wrench, but my Leatherman is verboten, lol.  Cheesy

If you don't mind me asking, what martial art?  I took a little as a kid, but never really put in the time and effort I should have.  I've considered getting back into it, but besides the normal time and money problems, I also have some significant physical disability, so things like sparing are out of the question.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:57:52 AM by SimonJester » Logged

Allesquille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »

My grandparents, who we visited often, were career military, farmers and hunters so I had a reasonable amount experience with firearms, mostly target shooting with rifles and skeet shooting. For protection though, I keep a semi-auto pistol at home. I've had much less experience with pistols than rifles and shotguns, and I could certainly benefit from some additional training, but I'm comfortable enough to use them for defense.

Since you were interested in Syock's martial arts training, I'll mention that I do have several years of taekwondo experience. Taekwondo is much more of a sport than a self defense technique, but being accustomed to getting kicked in the head does provide some measure of confidence. I'm screwed if I get in a fight that goes to the ground (taekwondo is all about kicking), but I can break a person's ribs with one kick if they're expecting me to attack with my hands.

No. But if I ever am, it might be encourage me to start carrying (which I doubt I'll ever actually be able to do here in NJ). Disclaimer: I have been explicitly threatened in writing with imprisonment and ultimately death if I fail to cough up regular extortion payments to the world's largest criminal organization.

As I said above, I could certainly use some. I just haven't had the time.

I've gone legit, sort of, I think. I brought my pistol with me when I moved to NJ, and from what I understand I don't have to register it. Buying in New Jersey requires explicit permission from the state, so if I want something else I'll get a used weapon from someone out of state that was originally purchased before I moved so I can plausibly claim I owned it before I came here.

I'm hoping for a productive discussion on both the pragmatic and moral aspects of self-defense, and the preparation for it.  I'm not looking for dogmatic or antagonistic attacks, I'm looking to have a friendly and open discussion about personal security in the modern world.  If you're not up for that, I ask, respectfully, that you stay out of this thread.  
Morally, my position on self defense is probably extreme even among everyone here. It suffices to say that knowingly endangering innocent bystanders is the only moral restriction I place on my defense.

Pragmatically, in many cases, I'm afraid that the reaction of the state to defense is more dangerous than that which you're defending yourself from. Luckily I'm fast.  Cheesy

I forgot: In what country do you live?  Are you ex-military? Are you a "combat-vet"?
US. No. No.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, what martial art?  I took a little as a kid, but never really put in the time and effort I should have.  I've considered getting back into it, but besides the normal time and money problems, I also have some significant physical disability, so things like sparing are out of the question.

A generic Karate.  The issue I have with it now though is that it is sport oriented.  There are some useful concepts, but I don't see it quite the same as a real weapon.  There are other versions I want to look into, but I haven't yet.

I thought you might want to see these threads as well.
https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,1011.0.html
https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,1587.0.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:39:25 AM by Syock » Logged

Disengage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

I'm not gonna answer point-by-point, because for some reason this trips my paranoia alarm, but here goes:

Ever been a victim of violent crime:   Not unless you count middle school.   I don't.   But people I know have been victimized, and that's enough for me.   

Have I chosen to arm myself:  Yup.  And I do have a carry permit.  Why?  The same reason I pay taxes and pull over when I see blue lights behind me.

Interested in obtaining training?   Yeah.   You selling some?

What do I carry, am I a vet, have I been depressed:   Seriously?     

Lemme guess, the next new post I see will  be somebody asking for volunteers to deliver a pizza to the federal building

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

What do I carry, am I a vet, have I been depressed:   Seriously?     

Lemme guess, the next new post I see will  be somebody asking for volunteers to deliver a pizza to the federal building

The depressed issue was a different person. 

SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »

@ disengaged, as mentioned, wasn't me who brought up depression, and as I said in OP, you're welcome to ignore any part of my questions you find intrusive.  Sorry if I tripped a paranoia alarm, I totally get that.  Only reason I asked about military service is that I have a theory about military service, particularly in the third world, increasing probability of firearms ownership.  Wasn't looking to delve for anything over personal, sorry if I gave that impression.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »

More threads:

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2095.0.html
https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: