Daily Anarchist Forum
August 15, 2022, 08:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism and homeschooling  (Read 11197 times)
Krantz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »

I was referring to this theory http://phys.org/news199591806.html by Wun-Yi Shu (with an interesting discussion in comments below), although it looks that it wasn't actually reviewed yet - sorry for passing on unverified information.

Nevertheless, another example which warns me from a one-fits-all solution to education (no matter if a religious or scientific approach is taken) is a pretty embarrassing problem of an explanation of an aircraft's flight - it appears that we still don't know for sure how exactly the lift of an airplane is generated (quite a few theories are being put forward and NASA currently dismisses them as incorrect (offline atm, but here is some discussion about them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539175) - but they are still being taught.. Btw. a funny story about Wright brothers is that at the time of their invention it was a common believe among scholars that a powered flight of a heavier than air craft was just impossible (calculated lift was to small for required weight) - I cannot know that for sure but it looks plausible to me, because this first airplane wasn't built in any university lab - and there are notes about expressed disbelief and hoax accusations).

Anyway - i don't really know what is the best solution here (I am not convinced that teaching kinds a possibly wrong (and complicated and time-consuming for that matter) theory is better or worse that telling them that we don't know - or presenting them a possibility which also may be wrong but is simple enough that can be understood in a matter of seconds..). What I believe is that in this situation we are better off if we don't put all eggs into one basket and just letting parents choose what they teach they kids is far better then supporting some nation-wide program of education, because choosing a wrong option here can have significantly more dire consequences. Not to mention that anarchists don't have any legitimate measures to actually enforce the second solution.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:35 AM »

Nevertheless, another example which warns me from a one-fits-all solution to education (no matter if a religious or scientific approach is taken) is a pretty embarrassing problem of an explanation of an aircraft's flight - it appears that we still don't know for sure how exactly the lift of an airplane is generated (quite a few theories are being put forward and NASA currently dismisses them as incorrect (offline atm, but here is some discussion about them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539175) - but they are still being taught..

There are multiple causes of lift.  They aren't really theories.  They are called principals, as they have been proven.  The reason there is argument on that remote controlled aircraft webgroup is due to a lack of a full understanding of the multiple known forces at work on any aircraft.  Perhaps there are more yet to be discovered, but they will not negate the existing known forces.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:43:32 AM by Syock » Logged

RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »

Not much I have to say here except this: A government capable of stopping esoteric views from being taught is a greater threat than whatever any such views could potentially be.

This bit from John Stuart Mill's, "On Liberty" sure seems relevant here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Liberty#Of_the_liberty_of_thought_and_discussion

stateexempt.com - The book should be done by early 2015

Privatize + Legalize + Decentralize
Victor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

Let me ask this then, taking as a starting point that we aren't using force to either suppress or subsidize ideas, what method do we use to spread ideas? Religion seems to be quite a powerful force in the history of humanity. Is secular philosophy an equally powerful force?

I realize plenty of people on here are religious, but for them I guess I can just broaden my question, what do you all think are the most effective methods of spreading ideas?

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »

I realize plenty of people on here are religious, ...

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,1608.0.html

I thought you might find that of interest.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:50:30 PM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »

What do you think the big bang is? I listened to a couple Smoot lectures a while back and thought it interesting. But I've found that like evolution people tend to be misinformed.

Heh, I won't take that as the insult that it came across as.  

What insult?

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »

What do you think the big bang is? I listened to a couple Smoot lectures a while back and thought it interesting. But I've found that like evolution people tend to be misinformed.

Heh, I won't take that as the insult that it came across as. 

What insult?

Exactly.  Hehe

Victor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »

I realize plenty of people on here are religious, ...

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,1608.0.html

I thought you might find that of interest.

Indeed, quite interesting! (And to be honest rather heartening, though it has an awfully small sample size.)

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »

Indeed, quite interesting! (And to be honest rather heartening, though it has an awfully small sample size.)

The sample size is small, however I would bet many of the posters in this thread have voted on that one.  They are the same ones you intend to communicate with.   

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: