Daily Anarchist Forum
December 07, 2019, 08:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchy in Detroit!  (Read 3013 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »

This is a pretty cool little series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEzCN5kfJE&list=SPBuns9Evn1w-WRQEko_RUIDfz_PdAOeSI

There is one video where a guy is looking to purchase a small island from the feds.

I've been thinking about this sort of thing lately. Take property taxes for example. Let's say you have to pay $3,000 a year in property taxes. Is there any way to try to make a deal with the county/state/feds where you will give them, say, $300,000 in one lump sum chunk and from there on out the property would be completely off limits from taxation/regulation/zoning?

Imagine there being some sort of treaty like with the Lakota Nation, etc. A treaty where people can purchase land and henceforth never be messed with again. Be able to set up brothels, gambling, or even just simply houses without ever having to pay property/income taxes again.

Does something like this exist? And if not, why not? Think of all of those cash strapped cities/states, where a piece of property that generates $3,000 a year could bring in 100 times that. In other words, people buying their freedom.

Ron Paul made the case that the civil war would have been a lot cheaper and less costly in lives if the north had just bought all of the slaves. Could there be a way for us to "buy" our freedom now?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

The real question is, would you trust the government to abide by such a contract, and not come knocking on your door in ten years when things are even worse?  Unfortunately for the Lakota and others, they are not free of government interference. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »

That's a good question. Are treaties usually obeyed by the feds?

I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that there are plenty of reservations with gambling and no taxes in the US, so...

SnowDog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

Hey, agreements are only as good as the last administrator.

But in this case, the city can't make that kind of arrangement without taking a vote of the city council. Then any such arrangement can be abrogated by the next council. It's happened many times.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure what sort of processes would have to be followed for something like that to happen. As far as whether or not they are trustworthy, the obvious answer is no. That being said, if they ever saw it in their best interest to sell a property and make it "free" then they would shoot themselves in the foot for future such transactions if they ever renege on old treaties/agreements.

Also, if these properties did become free, then they would be able to start arming themselves and forming private defense agencies. Perhaps enough time would elapse to the point where it would be unfeasible to renege considering the large defense agencies that have since sprung up, ready to defend free properties.

kunkmiester

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allodial_title

Evil is evil, no matter how small.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »

That's a good question. Are treaties usually obeyed by the feds?

I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that there are plenty of reservations with gambling and no taxes in the US, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people#Government
Longtime political activist Russell Means said, "We have 33 treaties with the United States that they have not lived by."

I guess I found the answer.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: