Daily Anarchist Forum
June 19, 2021, 07:41:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid question.  (Read 4203 times)
SimonJester

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »

So, I'm new here, and thought about hiding my ignorance by asking this in a PM to someone, but it occurs to me that someone else might drift onto the site and be informed as well, so I'll take the hit.

Could someone please explain to me, in simple, basic terms, the purpose of the Free State Project?  All I've been able to figure out so far is that it's about getting a whole bunch of people (who mostly don't vote) to move to the same state. So... Then what?

EDIT: Be gentle, guys.

When a man speaks of Honor, make him pay cash.  -R.A.Heinlein
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:56 AM »

Then you do whatever you want to do. Choose your own adventure.

I wouldn't say "mostly don't vote." I'd be surprised if more than 33% of Free Staters don't vote.

There's strength in numbers and things you can do when working together that you simply cannot when you're the only activist libertarian in your home town/city.

It's one of those things you sort of need to experience to fully understand. You also need to value community and camaraderie.

If you're happy living where you're at, surrounded by statists, and you can still tolerate your statist friends, then you're not likely to leave.

But if you're at all like I was, living in a fascist police state(California) surrounded by a bunch of apathetic and ignorant friends, then you might consider making a change.

Also, let's not forget that you're much safer in New Hampshire. In many states there are certain things you can possess or things you can do that will get you thrown in a state prison for a few years that are perfectly legal in New Hampshire.

Crime rate is the lowest in the country, and so are taxes. No coincidence, if you ask me.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »

That makes sense as far as it goes, I just wondered if there was a next step.  I've often thought in terms of the entire Libertarian Party moving to a single small state, altering the electoral map.  Unfortunately, getting that kind of solidarity out of Libertarians is difficult, because they're such a bunch of libertarians, lol.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »

That makes sense as far as it goes, I just wondered if there was a next step.  I've often thought in terms of the entire Libertarian Party moving to a single small state, altering the electoral map.  Unfortunately, getting that kind of solidarity out of Libertarians is difficult, because they're such a bunch of libertarians, lol.

Yes, it is like herding cats.  A lot of competing organizations popped up as soon as the vote ended and NH was chosen.  They seem to be made by people that already live in a state that lost, and just don't want to move. 

SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

Yes, it is like herding cats.  A lot of competing organizations popped up as soon as the vote ended and NH was chosen.  They seem to be made by people that already live in a state that lost, and just don't want to move. 

That makes sense.  I'll have to do some research.  I want to do a lot of traveling and exploring in the next few years, and it would be nice to know some non-statists in a lot of different places around the country.  Of nothing else, people I can trade with for what I need.  I find myself more and more able to meet my needs in the "underground" economy.  I really feel that's the best progress we've made.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: