Daily Anarchist Forum
May 20, 2019, 04:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft owns my wife's car.  (Read 6077 times)
Agrarian_Agorist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »

That being said, you can do anything you want to your vehicle; but don't expect it to be legal.  If you don't mind driving around without inspection and emission stickers, then that is fine; but your neighbours are highly likely to report you over it.  The reason is, because your neighbours believe that an inspection sticker makes the statement that baring some outside influence, your car is in top mechanical shape until next year at least.  Therefore, your neighbours believe -incorrectly of course- that they are safer if your car -like everybody else's- is inspected by a state licensed mechanic every year -at least in most states.

Convincing your neighbours the laws are ridiculous is greater than anything else, because most of the time, it is your neighbour who reports you for breaking a law.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »

Seth, it's only going to get worse. I read an article a few months ago about pushes to make these sorts of things *mandatory* in new vehicles. Transportation bureaucrats will get to harvest all the data and "analyze" it. Your location will be transmitted. That's not paranoia, this info is out in the open if you look around for it. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was mainstream. Obviously just a way to expand the surveillance state.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »

Seth, it's only going to get worse. I read an article a few months ago about pushes to make these sorts of things *mandatory* in new vehicles. Transportation bureaucrats will get to harvest all the data and "analyze" it. Your location will be transmitted. That's not paranoia, this info is out in the open if you look around for it. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was mainstream. Obviously just a way to expand the surveillance state.

It doesn't surprise me at all.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »

Getting an older vehicle and then learning how to repair it yourself will be the only way to get around this in the future, but of course, if you carry a cell phone around then it's all for naught anyways...

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »

Getting an older vehicle and then learning how to repair it yourself will be the only way to get around this in the future, but of course, if you carry a cell phone around then it's all for naught anyways...

Seriously considering dumping my smartphone.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »

I don't know if any of you watch Top Gear, but it is a globally popular show out of the UK.  They mentioned years ago that the British government was pushing for GPS in cars.  The downside no one mentioned other than on Top Gear being that if they know where you are, they know how fast you are going.  They essentially could write you tickets based off your GPS. 

AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »

It wouldn't do any good, especially if you replaced with another "dumb" phone. They'd still be able to find you. What we need is an open-source phone, and by that I mean the phone itself, NOT just the software...and for the liberty community to look into ways that an open source hardware and software phone, whether "smart" or otherwise, could avoid being tracked by the gov't...or at least ACCURATELY tracked by the government (maybe something like onion routing, so they'd think you're in Ireland, or Germany, when you're in New Hampshire, or maybe even just make them thing you're in a different state, e.g. make them thing you're in Alabama, when you're actually in Michigan or New Hampshire)

Who knows maybe we could end up going from there, to a tablet computer eventually.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

It wouldn't do any good, especially if you replaced with another "dumb" phone. They'd still be able to find you. What we need is an open-source phone, and by that I mean the phone itself, NOT just the software...and for the liberty community to look into ways that an open source hardware and software phone, whether "smart" or otherwise, could avoid being tracked by the gov't...or at least ACCURATELY tracked by the government (maybe something like onion routing, so they'd think you're in Ireland, or Germany, when you're in New Hampshire, or maybe even just make them thing you're in a different state, e.g. make them thing you're in Alabama, when you're actually in Michigan or New Hampshire)

Who knows maybe we could end up going from there, to a tablet computer eventually.

I wasn't planning on replacing it with a dumbphone. If I'm going to carry around a tracking device all the time, it might as well be a smart phone. It's either keep slogging around with my tracking device, or dump it and wait until there is something like you said, preferably something that doesn't even rely on cell towers, which can triangulate your location.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

There have been open source/open hardware smart phones.  They have failed due to low sales. 

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

There have been open source/open hardware smart phones.  They have failed due to low sales. 
People don't value freedom enough for it to work. Their brains have been rewired to accept (sometimes demand) their own enslavement. Any ideas to use technology for the libertarian cause cannot depend upon quick mass adoption, because you won't get it.

-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw&feature=player_embedded

Keep in mind that this was a hack. Imagine if you're the feds and you've got super user privileges to the software or even access through the back door.

Agrarian_Agorist

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:48 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw&feature=player_embedded

Keep in mind that this was a hack. Imagine if you're the feds and you've got super user privileges to the software or even access through the back door.

I saw that video a few days ago; those hackers/researchers have a grant from DARPA.  It has also been noted that cars are wirelessly hackable via Blue Tooth, On Star and other such systems.  Also, I read last week that by 2016 all cars are to have a 'Black Box' within them by decree of the USG.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: