Daily Anarchist Forum
July 16, 2019, 01:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Surrounded by Moat  (Read 5844 times)
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2363990/Chinese-man-refused-luxury-home-scheme-left-marooned-developers-surround-home-MOAT.html

Well, it didn't happen in ancap, but wow.   Most people just pose the question of what if the roads are all owned.  What if they build a moat!?

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »

That's awesome.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »

So now that these developers have committed kidnapping who is tasked with putting their heads on spikes?

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »

So now that these developers have committed kidnapping who is tasked with putting their heads on spikes?

How is it kidnapping? I assume it was their property they built the moat on.

Obviously "their property" is a loaded statement considering that there is no such thing as real private property not sanctioned and protected by the state.

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

Obviously "their property" is a loaded statement considering that there is no such thing as real private property not sanctioned and protected by the state.

If home boy can't leave his house do to their actions they are keeping him in that house against his will i.e. they're kidnapping him.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:50:23 AM »

I don't see it that way at all.

#1 He is allowed to leave. He crosses the moat all the time.

#2 Even if the moat WERE uncrossable, that's still not kidnapping. Kidnapping requires abduction. He's on his own property. He has no right to go onto anybody else's property. Also, he's not being held hostage because nobody is on his property holding him against his will.

#3 I think barricading a person in on their own property would actually be a very good form of house arrest in the future. No need for expensive and cruel prisons.

state hater

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »

I thought that one of the main ideas of market anarchism is that there is real private property without the state.  I'd imagine that this would work something like:  you homestead previously-unclaimed wilderness (or simply continue to occupy property that you owned during the state period), then register the boundary coordinates with your DRO, which then passes this information along to all the other DROs, and if none of them contest this on behalf of any of their subscribers, then you are the rightful owner of that land. 

"The time to sit idly by has passed, to remain neutral is to be complicit, just doing your job is not an excuse, and the line in the sand has been drawn between we the people, and the criminals in Washington, DC."  Adam Kokesh
state hater

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »

#2 Even if the moat WERE uncrossable, that's still not kidnapping. Kidnapping requires abduction. He's on his own property. He has no right to go onto anybody else's property. Also, he's not being held hostage because nobody is on his property holding him against his will.

#3 I think barricading a person in on their own property would actually be a very good form of house arrest in the future. No need for expensive and cruel prisons.

Of course, innocent people would be protected from this via contracts with the local road company (perhaps provisions for house arrest would be worked into those very contracts), which I outlined in a thread that I started on the freedom of movement in a stateless society. 

"The time to sit idly by has passed, to remain neutral is to be complicit, just doing your job is not an excuse, and the line in the sand has been drawn between we the people, and the criminals in Washington, DC."  Adam Kokesh
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

If he's allowed to leave then that's not kidnapping. You don't need to be held hostage to be kidnapped. If I lead someone to a closet and lock them in it (even if they went into the closet willingly) I'd consider that kidnapping. I'd even consider it kidnapping if it was their closet I locked them in.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

I thought that one of the main ideas of market anarchism is that there is real private property without the state.  I'd imagine that this would work something like:  you homestead previously-unclaimed wilderness (or simply continue to occupy property that you owned during the state period), then register the boundary coordinates with your DRO, which then passes this information along to all the other DROs, and if none of them contest this on behalf of any of their subscribers, then you are the rightful owner of that land. 

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Of course there is real property without the state. I was merely trying to make the point that what many people call "private" property is in fact, corporate property, and therefore state property, which is therefore not really private.

George Clinton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »

I think this man is actually a smart guy. He was offered likely a very high amount of money to move, and he told them to fuck off. So the land developers get angry, spend probably a healthy chunk of money building a moat to "teach him a lesson." But in the long run, all the land developers are going to end up with is another problem to fix after they pay the man the original offer. In the end, the man teaches these assholes a lesson in how to deal with people, and not fuck themselves in the process.

On a slightly related tangent. I seen a documentary not long ago, something about Chinese ghost cities, maybe on Vice? Anyway, China apparently has quite a few large cities that have been developed over the last X amount of years, the only problem is is that they are way under populated. Might be of interest to some people so I thought I would mention it...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:54:24 PM by George Clinton » Logged

Political Divide - My Blog about Politics
http://political-divide.blogspot.com/
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »

On a slightly related tangent. I seen a documentary not long ago, something about Chinese ghost cities, maybe on Vice? Anyway, China apparently has quite a few large cities that have been developed over the last X amount of years, the only problem is is that they are way under populated. Might be of interest to some people so I thought I would mention it...

I thought I had made a post on this forum about that in the past, but apparently I didn't.  It has to do with the form of leadership they have in China.  

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2573.0.html

In order to advance, they have to show growth in their administrative region.  They build cities to claim growth and get ahead.  It is a form of political/economic fraud.  The growth that China posts every year is bogus.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:54:33 AM by Syock » Logged

SimonJester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

I thought I had made a post on this forum about that in the past, but apparently I didn't.  It has to do with the form of leadership they have in China.  

https://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2573.0.html

In order to advance, they have to show growth in their administrative region.  They build cities to claim growth and get ahead.  It is a form of political/economic fraud.  The growth that China posts every year is bogus.

Not a new concept, or consequence.  Google "Potemkin Village".

When a man speaks of Honor, make him pay cash.  -R.A.Heinlein
anarchoguitarist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 05:03:24 AM »

To me this story shows that an average person has more property rights in China than in the US.  Can any of you imagine such a thing happening in the US?  I can't.  That elderly man would have been forced off his property by eminent domain laws long ago if he lived in the states.
anarchoguitarist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 05:16:11 AM »

By the way, stories like these seem to be quite common in China.  They call them "nail houses" there:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/the-house-in-the-middle-of-the-street/100411/

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-21393
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: