Daily Anarchist Forum
February 01, 2023, 08:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An interesting article concerning Christianity and obedience to the state  (Read 4982 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:19:33 AM »

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/hommel2.1.1.html

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »

Great read there!  Though that doesn't surprise me from Mr. Rockwell's blog.  He has an excellent set of authors there.
zrated

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:05 AM »

i'm not crazy about that article. he makes some decent points, but i'm totally over trying to reconcile the bible's inconsistencies. trying to make romans 13 make sense requires too many mental gymnastics. i'd like to see hommel justify peter's statement in 1 peter 2, 13-17. good luck with that one! it's all based on the idea that the bible that we have now is God's final word. but why is that, after it's been changed so many times in the past? why is it that all the versions that came before were in need of revision, but somehow the one we have now is unquestionable? there's still a very good chance that it still needs revision. here's a couple of articles i wrote on the subject:

http://anarcholife.blogspot.com/2010/08/that-render-unto-caesar-passage.html

http://anarcholife.blogspot.com/2009/01/christianity-and-state.html

romans 13, 1 peter 2, 13-17, etc., need to be removed from the bible.

bg

FormerlyBrainwashed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »

From the article originally posted below:

"Christians will quote Romans 13.

But if you understand that WE THE PEOPLE are sovereigns, kings, the power, then the passage reads entirely differently!"

On the other hand, this line of reasoning also plays right into the statist dogma that was passed down by the "founding lawyers." That is, the notion that the collective "will" of "the people" somehow negates individual liberty.

This is further amplified by the author:

Romans 13 (NIV)
1 Everyone must submit himself to WE THE PEOPLE UNDER GOD, for there is no authority except that which God has established. THE PEOPLE THAT exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against THE PEOPLE is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For THE PEOPLE hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SOVEREIGN AUTHORITIES UNDER GOD? Then do what is right and THE PEOPLE will commend you. 4 For THE PEOPLE ARE God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for THE PEOPLE do not HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS FOR nothing. THE PEOPLE ARE God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to THE PEOPLE UNDER GOD, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6 This is also why THE STATES are to pay THE CONSTITUTIONAL CAPITATION TAX, for WE THE PEOPLE are God's servants, AND THE PROPERLY DELEGATED CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITIES give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you LEGALLY AND LAWFULLY owe taxes, pay those taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Nothing statist there, huh!?

Give the dupes a reason to think that they are the ones who are really in charge and they'll continue to enslave themsevles ad infinitum.

The truth is that it is not enough to suggest that "we" are sovereigns (in a collective sense)... Rather, that I am sovereign over myself and no other! It really is that simple.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:35:56 PM by FormerlyBrainwashed » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: