Daily Anarchist Forum
November 20, 2019, 12:18:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mises, Human Action, and Anarchy  (Read 1900 times)
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

I'm reading Human Action right now and I came across this:

Anarchism believes that education could make all people comprehend what their own interests require them to do; rightly instructed they would of their own accord always comply with the rules of conduct indispensable for the preservation of society. The anarchists contend that a social order in which nobody enjoys privileges at the expense of his fellow-citizens could exist without government;i.e., without a police force, the social apparatus of coercion and compulsion.
       The anarchists overlook the undeniable fact that some people are either too narrow-minded or too weak to adjust themselves spontaneously to he conditions of social life. Even if we admit that every sane adult is endowed with the faculty of realizing the good of social cooperation and of acting accordingly, there still remains the problem of the infants,the aged, and the insane. We may agree that he who acts antisocially should be considered mentally sick and in need of care. But as long as not all are cured and as long as there are infants and the senile some provision must be be taken lest they jeopardize society. An anarchistic society would be exposed to the mercy of every individual. Society cannot exist if the majority is not ready to hinder, by the application or threat of violent action, minorities from destroying the social order. This power is vested in the state or government.

So this is why Mises was not an anarchist. He misunderstood the anarchist position and he failed to realize that a monopoly on law was not required for it's success. He failed to realize that the State is not required to handle the senile, insane, and very young. Failing to understand the positions and perhaps these positions didn't exist when he wrote Human Action, but now we have theors that have worked on these issues. Anyway thought ya'll like to know.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Samarami

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »

I congratulate you for delving into "Human Action".  I've read highlights, put it down as a "must read", but have procrastinated taking it on stem-to-stern.

I like to recommend John Hasnas' treatise, "The Obviousness of Anarchy" ( http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf )-- particularly the first 10 or so paragraphs, which serve to introduce anarchy to those not familiar with the way of living.

This is my first post on Daily Anarchist.  I read an essay by Wendy McElroy on IP recently that was posted here, and decided I'd check it out.

Sam
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »

I'm a fan of miss McElroy myself.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: