Daily Anarchist Forum
December 09, 2019, 08:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarcho-Capitalist Penn Jillette discusses religion/statism  (Read 8066 times)
Tear-Down-the-Wall
Mr. Edgar Friendly

Mother should I trust the government?

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

It's an hour long program from Glenn Beck's The Blaze network. I was actually very surprised how it went. I disagree with some of what was said and I'm disappointed Penn didn't promote anarcho-capitalism but he makes some great points.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LnVa7zXgc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LnVa7zXgc</a>

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.

You take the blue pill- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill- you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Twilight Sparkle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »

I'm not surprised, When most people think of "Anarchism" they think of complete chaos and disorder, And when they think of unregulated capitalism they think of starving children, People losing their arms in mines and PMC's controlling the world because you know.....money

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Behind the honeyed but patently absurd pleas for equality is a ruthless drive for placing themselves (the elites) at the top of a new hierarchy of power." -Murray Rothbard
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

I couldn't see the video, but is he actually ancap now?

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »

I couldn't see the video, but is he actually ancap now?

Nope, just before the 40min mark he says "anarchy won't work".   I'd say he's a minarchist... he seems to think we need a state to "protect our rights and liberties" and talks fondly the constitution.   I think people think he's an ancap because of that one time where he said he thinks he's closer to ancap than a standard libertarian...  I guess minarchism seems close to ancap for some people since it advocates the smallest amount of governmnet possible... but to me minarchism seems closer to standard libertarian, and ancap is a completely different animal...   

It's annoying sometimes how it seems he's so close yet so far.... like they BOTH agreed in this video that individuals can't give other people/government rights that they themselves don't have, and Penn uses that argument for why it's only ok to use the police to protect people from murder/theft/rape,   basically to defend the non-aggression principal,  but somehow I guess he doesn't see (or for some reason doesn't think it's a problem) that one must break the non-aggression principal, in order to enforce the non-aggression principal through government....  *sigh*   

Anyway, I still like Penn and hope he goes full ancap someday.
Hanzo

Deprived Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

I love Jillette, it's a shame he hasn't made the logical leap to voluntarism (yet)

What if it was a gift?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »

I love Pen & Teller, I've seen their act three times, and I enjoy the show Bullshit, and that one they made where you see some stories and then guess which one was true and which were lies.

Point is Teller is an Objectivist, and I think Penn is pretty close to being one and honestly Minarchism is so so far away from anarchy I don't imagine many minarchists make the jump.

Don't believe me? Take a gander at the dailypaul a lot of those people are nuts...

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Tear-Down-the-Wall
Mr. Edgar Friendly

Mother should I trust the government?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »

I think he sees the Constitution and voting libertarian as a means to his ultimate goal. Take this however you like.

He says he “always votes Libertarian.” But it seems that it’s only for lack of a more preferred option, which in Jillette’s case would be anarcho-capitalism. He says:

"I guess libertarian is a little too much government for me. I tend to be a little more anarcho-capitalist. But I will take libertarianism to get that in place, then work to get that out of place. I see libertarianism as a stepping stone."

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.

You take the blue pill- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill- you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »

Take a gander at the dailypaul a lot of those people are nuts...
I experienced the madness several months back. I ended up getting banned because I found half a dozen ways to write "fuck the troops" without setting off the automatic censor. That pissed off the good ole patriotic 'muRkins.

F \_/ ck the troops
F \/ C |< the troops
....and so forth

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »

Take a gander at the dailypaul a lot of those people are nuts...
I experienced the madness several months back. I ended up getting banned because I found half a dozen ways to write "fuck the troops" without setting off the automatic censor. That pissed off the good ole patriotic 'muRkins.

F \_/ ck the troops
F \/ C |< the troops
....and so forth
LOL

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: