Daily Anarchist Forum
December 07, 2019, 03:25:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: David Friedman on How to Privatize Everything  (Read 8870 times)
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

...including legal systems.  Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CcannofnY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CcannofnY</a>

This man was the one who finally convinced me I was on the right intellectual path after all with his book, "The Machinery of Freedom" which is now in PDF form. He is now working on a third edition which should be done in the next year or so from what he has said on his blog.

Over the past few years, I have come to the conclusion that it might be best if you simply allow people to opt out of the current political system (tax-wise) so you can use that same money for private alternatives. I guess you could say it involves having market law within a statist society. From there the former can simply lead by example.  Cheesy

stateexempt.com - The book should be done by early 2015

Privatize + Legalize + Decentralize
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »

if you simply allow people to opt out of the current political system

Except that the Goons will never allow that. If people could "opt-out", their ponzi scheme would collapse around their ears.

That's why they have Legal Tender laws.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »

Legal tender laws just says that you must pay the government with their own money, and everyone must accept that money. 

I agree that they will never let us opt-out of paying taxes.  They will say, "You drive on the roads, use public water and sewage, public schools, public .." everything they can think of to say why it is impossible to opt-out. 

I love it when people just are so far gone that they say you can't be right because it is illegal.  Every moral/political/economic argument they have revolves around legality.  Some law some guy made up for who knows what motivation is deciding how people think about the world.   

AutodidacticJoe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »

judge napalitano posted this on FB. yeah hes an ancap Wink
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »

Except that the Goons will never allow that. If people could "opt-out", their ponzi scheme would collapse around their ears.

I am not disputing this; but what I would argue is that a sizable portion of those who would rather have the government provide a given good or service might be willing to let other people take a different route so long as they are not required to do so themselves.

To use Social "Security" as an example, consider the difficulty in convincing the entire public that privatization of the system would be a good idea. Now compare that to simply trying to persuade them you let you opt out from paying taxes into it and not take benefits later on. They get to keep their preferred system and you are free to use your wealth for whatever retirement scheme you see fit.

Or take education. Scrapping the government-run education system altogether would be pretty unfeasable right now, but you are bound to have more success with the idea that people should be allowed to take the tax dollars they pay for public schools and use that money for whatever kind of schooling parents/students desire.

The latter choices in both situations are much easier to sell to the public since supporters of government programs and so forth do not want to lose their preferred system. But many of them might be willing to stop forcing those preferences on others.

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »

I am not disputing this; but what I would argue is that a sizable portion of those who would rather have the government provide a given good or service might be willing to let other people take a different route so long as they are not required to do so themselves.

To use Social "Security" as an example, consider the difficulty in convincing the entire public that privatization of the system would be a good idea. Now compare that to simply trying to persuade them you let you opt out from paying taxes into it and not take benefits later on. They get to keep their preferred system and you are free to use your wealth for whatever retirement scheme you see fit.

Or take education. Scrapping the government-run education system altogether would be pretty unfeasable right now, but you are bound to have more success with the idea that people should be allowed to take the tax dollars they pay for public schools and use that money for whatever kind of schooling parents/students desire.

The latter choices in both situations are much easier to sell to the public since supporters of government programs and so forth do not want to lose their preferred system. But many of them might be willing to stop forcing those preferences on others.

Until they realize that their system cannot be supported without theft.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »

Or realize that their system is inferior to what we would rather utilize - it could go both ways.

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »

Or realize that their system is inferior to what we would rather utilize - it could go both ways.

You can't beat faith with reason.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »

Judging from many of the comments here, it seems like everyone has given up any means of persuading non-Voluntaryists altogether.  Undecided

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »

Judging from many of the comments here, it seems like everyone has given up any means of persuading non-Voluntaryists altogether.  Undecided

Most people get there in their own time, through their own exploration.  You usually can't argue reason into someone.  Point them to existing sources of essentially unlimited information on it.  I'm not going to waste my time on individuals unless I know them well. 

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »

Because you can't persuade someone to change their philosophy they have to do it themselves. You can expose them to it but convince them? Bah! I don't know how long you've been around but if you haven't already you will learn this lesson from our very own assassin7

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »

Exactly.

No matter how cheap education is, people are still afraid that without "govt schooling" some kids will not get taught and therefore there must be taxation.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader how many straw-man arguments there are in that one sentence. Cheesy
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »

Do we all at least agree that it is much easier to persuade others to let you opt out from paying for and using governmental goods and services than convincing them to abolish them altogether?

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

Do we all at least agree that it is much easier to persuade others to let you opt out from paying for and using governmental goods and services than convincing them to abolish them altogether?

Initially this may be true I haven't tried to convince anyone, I just do my own thing. But as more people opt out you will find that at your door and you either will submit once again or take up arms.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »

Not in my experience, no.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: