Daily Anarchist Forum
August 16, 2022, 01:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate Fighter and A Question of Ethics  (Read 3430 times)
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »

At first I considered posting this in the Lounge, then I decided that a more general discussion of ethics might arise out of this thread so I decided to put it in the General Discussion Forum.

Prelude: Please read before responding, I'm not looking for a discussion on the morality of the fighting sports, or the ethics of martial arts training.

So my mother and I had a discussion. The subject was about John Dodson and the Ultimate Fighter. The Ultimate Fighter is a reality show on Spike that centres around several aspiring professional fighters going to the Vegas fighters house to train and compete with each other for a UFC contract worth 6 digits.

Anyway one season, the principles of our story get on to the Ultimate Fighter. They are John Dodson and a guy named Diego. Well John and Diego trained together at Jackson's MMA here in Albuquerque, and they were good friends. Well when they get to the Ultimate Fighter they are put on opposing teams. Through out the course of the show John hangs out with his long time friend and the opposing team and gives them secrets about his team mates (their strategies, weaknesses etc...)

So my mother says that the fact that John "snitched" on his team mates shows that he can't be trusted and makes him a terrible role model etc...

My response was thus "John simply chose his friend over his arbitary team made up of people he didn't even know so it's a bit presumptive to say that he can't be trusted." Of course this is paraphrased. I also said "I don't consider it a big deal because to me it makes perfect since to chose a friend over the colour of an arbitrarily decided jersey."

Anyway I'm curious about what ya'll think.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:30 AM »

I agree that the arbitrary "team" means nothing. Anyone who trains knows that your real team is composed of the people who sweat and bleed alongside you day in and day out. She's probably right that he's not a good role model though. TUF is designed to promote the UFC brand and get ratings. Outlandish behavior is the norm and from what I have heard, it is expected if you are on the show.

He doesn't exist, except on paper.
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:10 AM »

I agree that the arbitrary "team" means nothing. Anyone who trains knows that your real team is composed of the people who sweat and bleed alongside you day in and day out. She's probably right that he's not a good role model though. TUF is designed to promote the UFC brand and get ratings. Outlandish behavior is the norm and from what I have heard, it is expected if you are on the show.

Yeah John is a character! He's pretty funny, on top of being a total beast, and his conditioning my god when he ran a conditioning class you would puke...

Anyway the reason I brought this up is because I heard today that he is going to be the main event sometime in January. Don't know if that's a for sure thing, but tis what I heard.

Hey you're in Austin TX right?

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »

Well, I'm not sure.  First of all, what kind of secrets can there be in Ultimate Fighting?  I don't know a darned thing about it.  Second, if it's supposed to be a sport, then wouldn't it be more sporting for opposing teams to know all about the other team, and simply see which team is actually better at Ultimate Fighting, as opposed to being able to pull a fast one and win simply because one team doesn't know something (a secret play, a secret move, whatever) about the other team? 

In other words, is the sport in secrets or in performance?  I would think that he's only betraying his team if he doesn't play as well as he could.

Of course, if it's entertainment instead of an actual sport, like WWF wrestling, then betrayal's part of the entertainment.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »

Yeah John is a character! He's pretty funny, on top of being a total beast, and his conditioning my god when he ran a conditioning class you would puke...

Anyway the reason I brought this up is because I heard today that he is going to be the main event sometime in January. Don't know if that's a for sure thing, but tis what I heard.

Hey you're in Austin TX right?

Just north of Houston.

He doesn't exist, except on paper.
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »

Well, I'm not sure.  First of all, what kind of secrets can there be in Ultimate Fighting?  I don't know a darned thing about it.  Second, if it's supposed to be a sport, then wouldn't it be more sporting for opposing teams to know all about the other team, and simply see which team is actually better at Ultimate Fighting, as opposed to being able to pull a fast one and win simply because one team doesn't know something (a secret play, a secret move, whatever) about the other team? 

In other words, is the sport in secrets or in performance?  I would think that he's only betraying his team if he doesn't play as well as he could.

Of course, if it's entertainment instead of an actual sport, like WWF wrestling, then betrayal's part of the entertainment.

Well the secrets are injuries that one may have gained in training, weakness in game as in is the guy good and wrestling and Jiu Jitsu or is he a striker? What is his plan to win the fight? And the way the Ultimate Fighter works the match ups are determined a day before the fight, but if you know who is going to be picked in advance you can tell the other team (the one not making the pick) who is going to be picked and that guy can train for the fight specifically. Id est are they putting a Striker vs a BJJ guy or whatever...

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: