Daily Anarchist Forum
October 26, 2021, 02:47:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Preperations  (Read 8141 times)
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »

While our minds are on the topic of the storm I thought it would be prudent to bring up prepping.

Who Preps? To what extent do you prep? Why do you prep.

I am not a prepper though I think that I am going to get into that life style, however I am not a proponent of the Noble Savage. I am a Transhumanist.

In any case I think it is wise to have some preps.

Here are my plans:

1. Store wealth in fiat and gold/silver (mostly the latter)
2. Store food and water I think I would like to have at least 2 weeks of each, but the more the better.

Anyway anybody have suggestions ideas concerns questions have at it!

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

First order of business, get out of zombieland and move to New Hampshire.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:53 PM »

First order of business, get out of zombieland and move to New Hampshire.

That was indeed going to be my first step!

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »

I hope this thread goes well.  Other attempts fell into a lot of speculation rather quickly and left behind this question.

I am not a prepper as it is thought of.  I see the permaculture type of approach to be my favored way to it.  I don't want to store water, I want to have a source of water.  I don't want to store (excessive) food, I want to have a source of food.  I don't want to store fuel, I want to have a source of fuel.  You get the idea.  It is not purely for the cause of prepping.  It is for removing my dependence on government services, and away from government controlled/limited markets.  I want to live free, where ever I am.  

I don't currently own land, and am not in a location in which I would want to own land.  This has made it difficult to throw down a food forest in my back yard.  I expect to be living on a sailboat fairly soon, until I make my way to where ever I end up and am able to set up a more permanent location.  I have a boat picked out that I like and will be easy to modify.  It will haul a motorcycle easily as well, so I can easily take my land transportation with me.  

To meet my goals in the meantime, I have developed a small modular system for recycling black and grey water, and a rainwater catchment.  I want to be able to easily install it on the boat because quite frankly, I hate the idea of having to pump my sewage on a regular basis and having to constantly go to a dock for water.  I am going to set them up where I am living now to work out any issues I might have.  That is going to be a smelly day.

I have been becoming accustom to different cooking methods that are easy, less wasteful and can be applied here at home or on a boat.  They would apply well in a survival situation.  Today I have been cooking in a thermos.  I made a very tasty chili.  Does anyone know of a stainless steel pressure cooker that can work over an open flame?

There is of course a ton of food in the ocean I could eat, if I can catch it.  I have looked into commercial methods I could easily apply on a small scale.  I don't want to wrestle a fish for an hour.  It seems easy enough, assuming the fish are biting.  Traps for shellfish should be easy enough.

I butchered animals when I was growing up, so hunting is always a possibility for me.  I use to trade home made alcohol for food from hunters.  The trick for me would be to store the meat without a freezer.  There are certainly ways to do it.  Salting, jerky, canning, etc.  So far I have only done salting and jerky.  I have been considering distillation of saltwater to provide both salt and freshwater.  That seems it might be a little tricky on a rocking boat.  That is an idea for down the line.  

There is of course the weapon issue.  I've been around weapons since I was a kid.  It is just part of the family.  So, I have bows, crossbows, and of course a variety of guns, and the training to go with them.  I did some martial arts when I was younger, but that means nothing anymore.  Too bad I don't live near the guy on here with the anarchist martial arts school.  Taking firearms out of the country on a boat is a bit of a no-no.  I am not sure if it is worth the risk or not.  I can certainly set up other systems to help with security.  

I have another full set of ideas for when I do have land.  They will have to be adapted to fit the location though, perhaps heavily. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:26:30 PM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »

Are you an experienced sailor Syock? What kind of boat? How big? Who is planning on going with you?

What risk is there in taking weapons out of the Nation? Are you searched on the docks or something?

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »

Are you an experienced sailor Syock? What kind of boat? How big? Who is planning on going with you?

What risk is there in taking weapons out of the Nation? Are you searched on the docks or something?

I learned to sail as a kid, but not experienced.  I do currently have paddle boats, whitewater kayak and canoe.  I live near very protected waters though.  It is an old catamaran around 35'.  I would be living on it by myself near an airport I study/work at.  

Most other countries have rather restricted gun laws.  If you take a weapon there, they hold them until you leave which defeats the purpose of having them, assuming you get them back.  If you don't tell them and they find it, it tends to be smuggling charges and jail.  Boats entering foreign waters are suppose to fly a specific flag, and they come over to basically run you through a border check with their version of the coast guard.  I am not sure what happens if you don't fly the flag and they find you on the way in.  I would expect a search.  The US coast guard can do a search without the normal police restrictions.  They don't need a reason.  I doubt other countries do either.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:09:08 PM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »

I learned to sail as a kid, but not experienced.  I do currently have paddle boats, whitewater kayak and canoe.  I live near very protected waters though.  It is an old catamaran around 35'.  I would be living on it by myself near an airport I study/work at.  

Most other countries have rather restricted gun laws.  If you take a weapon there, they hold them until you leave which defeats the purpose of having them, assuming you get them back.  If you don't tell them and they find it, it tends to be smuggling charges and jail.  Boats entering foreign waters are suppose to fly a specific flag, and they come over to basically run you through a border check with their version of the coast guard.  I am not sure what happens if you don't fly the flag and they find you on the way in.  I would expect a search.  The US coast guard can do a search without the normal police restrictions.  They don't need a reason.  I doubt other countries do either.  

Then I would suggest modifications of a hiding nature be made to your boat. You have to be able to defend yourself.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »

Then I would suggest modifications of a hiding nature be made to your boat. You have to be able to defend yourself.

I thought an electric fence might be fun. hehe 

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »

I thought an electric fence might be fun. hehe 

That sounds awesome!

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »

I hope this thread goes well.  Other attempts fell into a lot of speculation rather quickly and left behind this question.

I am not a prepper as it is thought of.  I see the permaculture type of approach to be my favored way to it.  I don't want to store water, I want to have a source of water.  I don't want to store (excessive) food, I want to have a source of food.  I don't want to store fuel, I want to have a source of fuel.  You get the idea.  It is not purely for the cause of prepping.  It is for removing my dependence on government services, and away from government controlled/limited markets.  I want to live free, where ever I am.  

I don't currently own land, and am not in a location in which I would want to own land.  This has made it difficult to throw down a food forest in my back yard.  I expect to be living on a sailboat fairly soon, until I make my way to where ever I end up and am able to set up a more permanent location.  I have a boat picked out that I like and will be easy to modify.  It will haul a motorcycle easily as well, so I can easily take my land transportation with me.  

To meet my goals in the meantime, I have developed a small modular system for recycling black and grey water, and a rainwater catchment.  I want to be able to easily install it on the boat because quite frankly, I hate the idea of having to pump my sewage on a regular basis and having to constantly go to a dock for water.  I am going to set them up where I am living now to work out any issues I might have.  That is going to be a smelly day.

I have been becoming accustom to different cooking methods that are easy, less wasteful and can be applied here at home or on a boat.  They would apply well in a survival situation.  Today I have been cooking in a thermos.  I made a very tasty chili.  Does anyone know of a stainless steel pressure cooker that can work over an open flame?

There is of course a ton of food in the ocean I could eat, if I can catch it.  I have looked into commercial methods I could easily apply on a small scale.  I don't want to wrestle a fish for an hour.  It seems easy enough, assuming the fish are biting.  Traps for shellfish should be easy enough.

I butchered animals when I was growing up, so hunting is always a possibility for me.  I use to trade home made alcohol for food from hunters.  The trick for me would be to store the meat without a freezer.  There are certainly ways to do it.  Salting, jerky, canning, etc.  So far I have only done salting and jerky.  I have been considering distillation of saltwater to provide both salt and freshwater.  That seems it might be a little tricky on a rocking boat.  That is an idea for down the line.  

There is of course the weapon issue.  I've been around weapons since I was a kid.  It is just part of the family.  So, I have bows, crossbows, and of course a variety of guns, and the training to go with them.  I did some martial arts when I was younger, but that means nothing anymore.  Too bad I don't live near the guy on here with the anarchist martial arts school.  Taking firearms out of the country on a boat is a bit of a no-no.  I am not sure if it is worth the risk or not.  I can certainly set up other systems to help with security.  

I have another full set of ideas for when I do have land.  They will have to be adapted to fit the location though, perhaps heavily. 

I agree with this, but the reason I say store is because where I am right now doesn't provide me with a source of much of anything certainly not water. I live in the High Desert.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »

I agree with this, but the reason I say store is because where I am right now doesn't provide me with a source of much of anything certainly not water. I live in the High Desert.

That certainly does make it more difficult.  Permaculture has been applied in the toughest deserts on earth though. 

SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

I've purchased food and currency. Those are the most important items that you can have in your possession during an economic fallout.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »

That certainly does make it more difficult.  Permaculture has been applied in the toughest deserts on earth though. 

I know not of these ways. I will learn though.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »

I know not of these ways. I will learn though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzTHjlueqFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzTHjlueqFI</a>

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »

Video reminds me of what Frank Herbert talks about doing to Arrakis in Dune.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: