Daily Anarchist Forum
May 27, 2019, 06:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Culture vs. AnCap'ism  (Read 7956 times)
bsg1206

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »

One of the supposed reasons for the existence of a state is to defend and promote its subjects way of life. A strong, common culture is essential for a healthy, cohesive society. Western states today are plagued by political correctness and encourage mass immigration from non-compatible cultures which is having a detrimental effect on crime rates, the economy, and the local way of life. How might a free society deal with this problem?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

A strong, common culture is essential for a healthy, cohesive society.

If by culture you mean lifestyle choices, like sexuality, religion, language, dress code, etc. then I wholeheartedly disagree. Those things can all be very pluralistic and still have a healthy cohesive society.

If by culture you mean tolerance and respect for justly acquired property, then yes, it is essential to have commonality. If there is no tolerance or respect for justly acquired property then there can be no cohesion.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
bsg1206

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

I can say unequivocally that I would not want to live anywhere that had Arabic on all the signs and storefronts or that had a bunch of mosques or that goofy onion architecture everywhere. I also can't pretend to think it is normal to see someone walking around Wal-Mart in a burka or a man dress and a turban. I'm singling out Arab culture because it is so much different than Western culture, but the point is that culture goes much further beyond property rights. It is no coincidence that the US at its pinnacle in the early 1960's was 90% white and about the same percentage some form of practicing Christian. I absolutely think a common culture is worth preserving.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »

I can say unequivocally that I would not want to live anywhere that had Arabic on all the signs and storefronts or that had a bunch of mosques or that goofy onion architecture everywhere. I also can't pretend to think it is normal to see someone walking around Wal-Mart in a burka or a man dress and a turban. I'm singling out Arab culture because it is so much different than Western culture, but the point is that culture goes much further beyond property rights. It is no coincidence that the US at its pinnacle in the early 1960's was 90% white and about the same percentage some form of practicing Christian. I absolutely think a common culture is worth preserving.

What you're really just talking about is preference. I don't like to go into Wal Mart and see 300 lbs white people with their ass crack sticking out. There are ways to deal with this in a free society, though.

Dress codes, gentleman clubs, race clubs, hell, you name it, it could all exist in a free society.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
bsg1206

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »

What you're really just talking about is preference. I don't like to go into Wal Mart and see 300 lbs white people with their ass crack sticking out. There are ways to deal with this in a free society, though.

Dress codes, gentleman clubs, race clubs, hell, you name it, it could all exist in a free society.

lol. Truth.

And that's easy enough. I suppose all those things are true too.
SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »

I'm not understanding your question. Culture isn't defined by government. Nationalism, or the principles that define loyalty to a country, is. However, nationalism and culture are two different things. The foods that we eat, religions that we subscribe to, movies that we watch, books that we read, and languages that we speak are elements that define culture, and all of those things can be provided by the free market of ideas. Government doesn't tell you what food you should or shouldn't eat. You, with your own mind, decide for yourself.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

One of the supposed reasons for the existence of a state is to defend and promote its subjects way of life.
Even for argument's sake, that isn't a premise I'm willing to grant.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

I'm with SCV--culture isn't defined by government.  Culture is something that is very spontaneous, and is simply made up of the interests and preferences of the people who make up society.  There's never been a need for an "official" language in the U.S., for example, as everyone knows that Americans speak English.

Culture can, of course, be influenced by a variety of things.  Everyone used to gather around the television and watch the limited offerings from the three major networks.  That provided a near nation-wide commonality.  Now, we also have cable, satellite, the internet, and dvd's, so that commonality might be gone, but so what?  What does it matter if a person in Portland, Oregon watched the same shows as someone in St. Louis?  How likely are they to even be talking to each other, unless they happen to be on the same internet forums, like this one. 

So culture changes over time, and people find different ways of expressing and sharing their culture. 

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

Voluntary culture happens all the time.

For example, I have a membership in the Society for Creative Anachronism. There's one whole hell of a lot of cohesive, cooperative culture in that bunch, it does act as an entire "culture" for several tens of thousands of people.

Removing the institution of coercion doesn't change anything that people are already doing voluntarily, and most of what everyone does is already voluntary.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »

Government doesn't tell you what food you should or shouldn't eat.  

Yeah they do.  They do it through import limits, farm subsidies, teaching the food pyramid in government schools, the 'sin tax' that they are starting to apply to things like soda, and the crazy max restaurant cup size laws they are pushing.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:34:56 PM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »

I believe my response to this is simply NO.

Culture is not the result of government, government is the result of culture.

Culture is mimetic, it is learned just like language and mathematics, it is software nothing more. Again religion is taught it is a program that is installed without people being consciously aware of it. The program can be deleted and over written but it is difficult to do so.

There is a reason that many children follow the religion and politics of their parents because it is what they are taught and programmed to do. It takes will to override what one is taught as a child.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
haxor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »

By having its economic system as free as posible. This raises standards of living. Also by the free pople of thi country follow a true constitution and back this.
Lets use an example:
Chick fila:  the owner said he supported traditional marriage. Theres nothing wrong with what he himself believes. It is his buisness and he has a right to speak freely. As a free sociaty the people can chosse to eat there or not eat there. In a true capitalistic society this may help or hurt him because of buisness. If the majority of people do not agree they will not eat there and he loses buisness and goes bankrupt and closes. If not, props to him for standing by what he believes. However as a true free people we must accept this, that people are free. The current left side of politics can not accept this. They think its reulsive what he said. In reality, its his choice and right.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Ayn Rand
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »

By having its economic system as free as posible. This raises standards of living. Also by the free pople of thi country follow a true constitution and back this.
Lets use an example:
Chick fila:  the owner said he supported traditional marriage. Theres nothing wrong with what he himself believes. It is his buisness and he has a right to speak freely. As a free sociaty the people can chosse to eat there or not eat there. In a true capitalistic society this may help or hurt him because of buisness. If the majority of people do not agree they will not eat there and he loses buisness and goes bankrupt and closes. If not, props to him for standing by what he believes. However as a true free people we must accept this, that people are free. The current left side of politics can not accept this. They think its reulsive what he said. In reality, its his choice and right.

Interesting example you give.  The result was actually positive for his company.  There was a similar event with Whole Foods.  In both examples, the organization got a boost in sales.

The reason for this is because in the market before they took a stance, 99% of the people simply never bothered to go there in the first place, knowing nothing of the owners.  Once something was said, even if only 5% of the population agrees with their stance, that is more of the market than they previously had.  They may lose 95% of the old customers they had, but 5% of the larger overall population is a huge boon for the company. 

haxor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:07 PM »

Yes from a buisness perspective he took a chance and it worked in his favor. Wonder if the government would of bailed him out if it went the other way? People speak of free speech, especially those with the liberal thought yet what they really mean is "to speak freely if you agree with us and if you dont we slander you".

I apologize to all for typos. my fingers try to keep up with my brain....  Smiley

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Ayn Rand
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »

Yes from a buisness perspective he took a chance and it worked in his favor. Wonder if the government would of bailed him out if it went the other way? People speak of free speech, especially those with the liberal thought yet what they really mean is "to speak freely if you agree with us and if you dont we slander you".

I apologize to all for typos. my fingers try to keep up with my brain....  Smiley

I don't think anyone minds the typos so long as we can parse the meaning.

You know you can always proof read!  Tongue

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: