Daily Anarchist Forum
May 27, 2019, 07:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain it to a lamen: Driver's Licenses  (Read 4720 times)
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »

Okay, so most if not all my friends are some form of statist, be it right or left wing. While I know in an anarchist society, you wouldn't need a drivers license to drive, how would you personally explain that to a statist?

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

If roads were voluntary you would still need the owner's permission to drive. The owners of the roads would have an incentive to make sure that drivers are qualified and safe and obey the rules.

There would be diversity, for sure. Diversity in prices, speed limits, size of roads, cost, etc.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Euler
Anarchist Mathematician

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »

Who is to say you would not need a license? It seems very probable to me that road owners would require a certification for you to use their roads. Plenty of professional associations require private licenses for players to operate. The actuarial society uses this extensively. Warehouses require employees pass their own forklift certification programs. Really, any sort of required training for a profession or for a business essentially acts the same as a licensing from a decentralized source.

"When one man says, 'No I won't,' Rome beings to fear."
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

Not only you would probably need some sort of certificate (as explained above), but your vehicle would probably need one as well (some minimal level of safety).    I imagine the usage prices of private roads might be tied to the acceptance level of these certificates. 
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

The mistake is in trying to state how it "would" be.

While I expect that standards would evolve rather quickly, all I can say for sure is that it would not be the universal government tracking device and internal travel passport that it is today.

Govt wants to track you, to control you, to make you obey.

Insurance companies have an incentive to make sure that the drivers they cover are responsible and skilled. Road owners have an incentive to make sure the people who use the road reach their destination in such a manner that they are happy to pay to use that particular road again another day.

I expect the difference in incentives will define the differences in the manner of mass travel.
Argus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »

It could even be that an innovative road owner could develop an anonymous system of licensing whereby the driver is assigned a number or other such identifier separate from their name. All the road authority would want to know is whether or not you pay your dues and that you have been certified to drive in a safe manner.
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

Another mode is the way that some roads twixt towns were managed back when they were private.

The road builders neither accepted liability nor extended guarantees. "Use at your own risk" is the modern terminology.

While our litigious habits today make this seem unlikely, it has been done before and I expect it will be done again, especially if the disclaimer "use at your own risk" gains real legal power to avoid being sued.
helio

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

It can work any way you can imagine.  If I owned a road network, I would probably only charge large vehicles such as dump trucks and 18 wheelers.  Businesses would be more inclined to pay, I believe. 

In terms of licenses, I think it would evolve like technology standards. Bunch of companies get together and adopt wide ranging protocols and make it easily accesible.  That way my road will accept anyone with a Microsoft, Google, or Apple certification and ill give them perks or discounts.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
lordtlaloc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

this may be a bit off topic, but i was thinking yesterday that in a free market, most people might not even own cars. I was thinking about how, for most of the day, our cars are just taking up space, be it at the lot at work or in our driveways. Not to mention all the upkeep costs. I would think that most cars would be owned by companies that either rent cars out or have drivers taxi people around. I imagine much of the cost that comes with private transportation company would evaporate with the state. Any thoughts?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »

this may be a bit off topic, but i was thinking yesterday that in a free market, most people might not even own cars. I was thinking about how, for most of the day, our cars are just taking up space, be it at the lot at work or in our driveways. Not to mention all the upkeep costs. I would think that most cars would be owned by companies that either rent cars out or have drivers taxi people around. I imagine much of the cost that comes with private transportation company would evaporate with the state. Any thoughts?

This is true, the State only increases cost and returns nothing.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

I've always thought that without government subsidized roads, rail would be far more popular for long distance cargo and city wide transport.  

Point to point mini-bus type of companies could easily take people from their home to the closest train stop.  Trucks would haul cargo on the first and last short drive.  

At the end of the day it would all come down to what people are willing to pay for.  Plenty of people spend a lot of money on things they do not need.  Cars are no different.  How many people buy and drive the cheapest vehicle for mere transportation?  

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

I've always thought that without government subsidized roads, rail would be far more popular for long distance cargo and city wide transport.  

Point to point mini-bus type of companies could easily take people from their home to the closest train stop.  Trucks would haul cargo on the first and last short drive.  

At the end of the day it would all come down to what people are willing to pay for.  Plenty of people spend a lot of money on things they do not need.  Cars are no different.  How many people buy and drive the cheapest vehicle for mere transportation?  

Right now I'm driving an 01 Cavalier. I'm not sure where you are from but in NM distances to things are great. It is 40 miles to Albuquerque and that is where everything is. In any case I intend to keep my car until it no longer runs, and when that happens I will go and buy another cheap car. And keep it until it falls apart. Point being all I want from my vehicle is transportation.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

On the "Need For A Car", do keep in mind the government grants of monopoly to taxi services.

Justified by pretending the license will keep drivers honest, what it really does is create a hard floor for pricing, or just mandated prices such as in NYC, such that casual use is expensive.
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

On the "Need For A Car", do keep in mind the government grants of monopoly to taxi services.

Justified by pretending the license will keep drivers honest, what it really does is create a hard floor for pricing, or just mandated prices such as in NYC, such that casual use is expensive.

When my licence expires it will not be renewed.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
haxor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »

All this comes down to them not understanding and think of it in a entirely different mind set. Nor do they give credit to the human mind to solve simple problems.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: