Daily Anarchist Forum
December 07, 2019, 03:27:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Private Education for everyone  (Read 6104 times)
BobRobertson

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

The usual statist argument is that education is "too important" to be left to private efforts. That without coercive attendance laws, children will not get an education.

And, worst of all, that without government running the schools, the children will be taught unapproved things.

But I must insist that people look not at the rhetoric, but at the facts.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc</a>
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »

The usual statist argument is that education is "too important" to be left to private efforts. That without coercive attendance laws, children will not get an education.

And, worst of all, that without government running the schools, the children will be taught unapproved things.

But I must insist that people look not at the rhetoric, but at the facts.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzv4nBoXoZc</a>

The usual argument has it backwards--education is too important to leave to the state!

Tongue

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »

As the technology develops, and public support for copyright erodes, I think it might be possible to develop some kind of teaching software (open source) that could give the same K-12 instruction we see today but at a tiny fraction of the $150K/student cost to have that done via our current public school system.

Homeschoolers happen to do pretty well despite the fact that the cost of materials (copyrighted) is only about $500/year:

http://www.schizoidboy.com/education.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iHRSAIsCo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iHRSAIsCo</a>

Maybe all we need is for schools to be more like testing and community centers?

stateexempt.com - The book should be done by early 2015

Privatize + Legalize + Decentralize
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

I'm really happy with the way w3schools teaches web development. I don't see why that same format can't be done for virtually every subject.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »

As the technology develops, and public support for copyright erodes, I think it might be possible to develop some kind of teaching software (open source) that could give the same K-12 instruction we see today but at a tiny fraction of the $150K/student cost to have that done via our current public school system.

Enter the Khan Academy While it's not perfect Khan has done and continues to do great things!

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

We have had these kind of threads before.  Several of the big name schools have released their classes for free online.  I think MIT is one of them.  The downside of course is no paper saying you know the material, but that doesn't really matter for anyone who is running their own business.  

The real downside for homeschoolers in the USA at least, is that they have to follow the public school (lack of/misinformed) education. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:05:47 AM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »

We have had these kind of threads before.  Several of the big name schools have released their classes for free online.  I think MIT is one of them.  The downside of course is no paper saying you know the material, but that doesn't really matter for anyone who is running their own business.  

The real downside for homeschoolers in the USA at least, is that they have to follow the public school (lack of/misinformed) education. 

I'll teach my children what I want. The State can kiss it.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »

The downside of course is no paper saying you know the material, but that doesn't really matter for anyone who is running their own business.  

Enter EdX my friend. They certify whether or not you actually completed the work: https://www.edx.org/faq

Not to mention other options like Coursera.org

With education the knowledge should be free in most cases - if something is to be charged for it should be the service of verifying that someone actually knows the material in a lab/testing environment of some sort.

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »

Syock I don't understand why you think you have to do what the State tells you. You're one person if you maintain a low profile you can do whatever you want man.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:31:53 AM »

Syock I don't understand why you think you have to do what the State tells you. You're one person if you maintain a low profile you can do whatever you want man.

The kids have to pass the state tests.  If they don't then the parents get in trouble, maybe social services step in etc.  I'm not saying you can't teach your kids more, but you certainly have to teach them what the government wants them to be taught as well.  You can keep your head down all day long, but that doesn't always work.  Will the kid thank you when they don't have a piece of paper that says to most people that they are eligible for a job?

RJ, those links are for higher education, not mandatory minimums for k-12. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:36:12 AM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:44:05 AM »

The kids have to pass the state tests.  If they don't then the parents get in trouble, maybe social services step in etc.  I'm not saying you can't teach your kids more, but you certainly have to teach them what the government wants them to be taught as well.  You can keep your head down all day long, but that doesn't always work.  Will the kid thank you when they don't have a piece of paper that says to most people that they are eligible for a job?

Agorism

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »

The kids have to pass the state tests.

The rules say that they must take the tests, not pass them.

But the use of such test scores in prosecution of parents for neglect would be useful.

Luckily, homeschooled and unschooled kids routinely demonstrate on those tests that the uneducated ones are the public schooled kids, not them. So you'd really have to try to keep your kids stupid to have any chance of messing that up.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »

Agorism

You want to force your kid into a completely agorist life?  Do you live completely agorist?  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:53:16 AM by Syock » Logged

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

Agorism

You want to force your kid into a completely agorist life?  Do you live completely agorist?  

No but there is a difference between a completely agorist life style and simply getting your money agoristically. As far as that is concerned I've payed taxes twice in my life so I'm quite confident that making money agoristically is not hard.

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
RJ Miller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »

I know. I was simply pointing out that this could potentially be a model for K-12 education as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: