Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My personal plan for finding freedom in my life...  (Read 4085 times)
Owen Kellogg

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:33:59 PM »

I lurk here much more than I post, but I thought I'd drop by and share this.  I've never made a video like this before, so please forgive the crappy quality.  I hope it still gets the point across though:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2Bh5PNt9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2Bh5PNt9A</a>
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

That's badass man! Thanks for sharing?

Care to tell us what state you live in?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Owen Kellogg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »

I'm in Northern Kentucky.  As I stated in the video description, this is the test phase of something more permanent.  My parents have some land in another county that's even more rural than what is shown in the video.  I plan to start building a cabin there next Spring.  There's also a pond nearby that will be used for a partial water supply, garden irrigation, fishing, swimming and possibly supplemental geo-thermal heating/cooling if I do things right...
When that's finished - hopefully by the end of next Summer - it's just a matter of unhooking/unbolting everything from the test cabin and finish "going Galt" - with a dash of Walden Pond.

In the past year, I've learned what works and what doesn't.  Hell - I'm still learning, and I'll never stop.  I'm 42 years old.  Henry David Thoreau died when he was 44.  By the time I'm that age, I plan to take over where he left off...
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »

That's awesome man. I hope to someday be able to do that. Too bad my lady doesn't like the idea of it!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Owen Kellogg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »

My "lady" of 20 years hates the idea too. Depite my pleas and attempted reasoning with her, she willfully intends to live the superficial, consumerist lemming lifestyle.  I hate to see it happen, but we are rapidly drifting apart down two different paths.  I still have an obligation to support my daughter, who is in her 2nd year of college.  By the time she's through with that and on her own, I plan to be totally off-grid and under the radar. I've told my wife that she's more than welcome to come along, but I'm sure she's not leaving the "easy life."

Over the years, I've never owned a motorcycle, boat, sports car or any of the other adult toys.   I've sacrificed those things to support my family.  My days of sacrifice are almost over.  Now is the time to invest in my future, and this is the best way I know how.
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »

Good on ya, Owen.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

Wow! Heavy duty! Isn't there some sort of compromise? Like, move to New Hampshire?  Wink

BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

Seth, you beat me to it.

I was thinking that an Earth Ship out in, I dunno, Grafton, might do very well indeed.
Owen Kellogg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »

Although I'd love to be around more like-minded people in New Hampshire, I really don't want to pull up roots to move there.  I plan to visit NH some day, but I'm more familiar here with the land, weather and people (or sheeple). 

If your suggestion of a compromise meant that the wife might consider it - I've already brought up NH to her.  She has no desire to even visit there.  She's happy here on the couch, eating her cheese doodles and watching Ellen or Jersey Shore - or whatever the fuck entertains her.  It's nothing real or of any substance, I can assure you.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

Yikes! You're still young, and by your picture a good looking guy. Are you married? And if so, being an anarchist are you still attached to that institution?

What did you think of my recent book review on the blog about Sex at Dawn?

Owen Kellogg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »

Yikes! You're still young, and by your picture a good looking guy. Are you married? And if so, being an anarchist are you still attached to that institution?

What did you think of my recent book review on the blog about Sex at Dawn?

Dude, I don't feel young at times.  I'm 42.  Married 20 years.  Most likely won't make it to 21.  I'm ready to walk away from it all, but I need to fulfill my obligations as a parent first.  My daughter's 19, so I don't have to worry about child support, but I have a few "finishing touches" to make before I bolt.

And yes, I really liked the Sex at Dawn review.  Since I've been following the an-cap philosophy, I now question everything - especially those things that society holds as "holy or sacred".  I've concluded that marriage is just another tool of the state - and their approved religions propagate it.  (Keep in mind I'm not an atheist.  I just doubt those who claim to speak for God.)

A close friend suggested that this is a mid-life crisis thing I'm going through, and instead of getting hair plugs and buying a Corvette, the cabin project is my "thing".  Not at all.  This is part of a rational, well thought-out plan to get out of the system as much as I can.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »

(Keep in mind I'm not an atheist.  I just doubt those who claim to speak for God.)

Amen!

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »

That was a great video!   It looks like a nice place you have there.  

In the past year, I've learned what works and what doesn't. 

Would you mind sharing some thoughts on that?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: