Daily Anarchist Forum
August 20, 2019, 09:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: True apathy  (Read 2716 times)
Aegidius
Abuser of italics and semicolons

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »

Today, at my university, (Well, it's not *my* university, but you know what I mean.) there was a table set up with a banner saying "Conservative Republicans", as well as some pamphlets and displays with the usual republican rhetoric.  The focus was primarily on fiscal issues, showing plaintive statistics on the growth of government spending.  When I first went by, I just made a snide remark about Bush being fiscally responsible, but after a few minutes I decided to look up some figures and go back to try a real discussion; I dared not hope to sell these people anarchism, but perhaps by citing some often overlooked facts I could weaken their faith in the sincerity of their politicians' rhetoric and in the value of voting.   Perhaps, I thought, this was a chance to plant a seed of doubt that could grow into an awakening, as I believe has happened for many of us (I'm a former neocon, and I know from the introductions section that many of you are as well.)

Me:  "Look, I agree with you that government spending, deficits, and debt are a problem.  A major problem.  We're in agreement on that, right?

Conservative Republican: <began laughing during my previous statement> "Yeah."

Me:  "The point of contention for me is whether or not the republican party would actually do anything about it."

Conservative Republican:  <quietly, looking at the ground> "Probably not."

I was so shocked at the easy admission that I walked away speechless; I should have stayed and pressed the issue, as I may have actully gotten somewhere with this guy.  I'm pretty awful at real-time conversation.  I came back after my next class with some things to say, but they were
gone.

This person doesn't just vote republican; he donates his time proselytizing for them.  He does this, but he readily admits that they won't improve the very situation he's making an issue of.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:34:20 PM by Aegidius » Logged

"I need not say how eager we are to trade with you and your kind!  Now, how can I be of service to you?"
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »

He probably donates money to them as well. 

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU</a>

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

Sounds like those idiots who plan to vote for statist Romney, because if Obama wins, it's the "end of the world", or something equally disastrous.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Disengage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

Could this be a case of a "doing something is better than doing nothing, even if it's wrong" mentality?

Or maybe he's just in it for social reasons.   A Tea Party is still a party, after all.   Smiley

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »

Could this be a case of a "doing something is better than doing nothing, even if it's wrong" mentality?

Or maybe he's just in it for social reasons.   A Tea Party is still a party, after all.   Smiley

Sounds like it to me. It's sad.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:54:17 AM »

He worships out of habit and probably never been exposed to an alternative.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: