Daily Anarchist Forum
August 18, 2019, 12:11:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing interest  (Read 5207 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »

Is anybody else feeling the same way about things as I am?

I know the Daily Paul is a minarchist website, but I still go there every day. It used to be several times per day I would visit. For the last month or so my visitation has dwindled all the way down to once per day, and even then I'm not on there for more than a minute because none of the front page articles interest me, and none of the reader generated forum posts interest me either.

As far as LRC goes, it's been a long time since it's put out anything that triggers critical thinking in me. It's all the same old stuff redone a million times. Don't get me wrong, Daily Paul and LRC are extremely important websites that have, and will continue to, change paradigms in a lot of people. But it gets to a point where it can only give so much.

I do still like this site, though. I know, I'm a little biased, but one thing I like about this site is that the people here are basically all anarchists. We get it, and now we're talking about solutions instead of problems. Even then, there seems to be a dearth of solutions. The best I can come up with is spread the message, move to New Hampshire, use bitcoin.

To be honest, in my daily life I'm less likely to want to spread the message of anarchism with anybody and I'm more likely to talk about bitcoin. At the end of the day people's faith in the state is really just a superstition. I really don't think there is anything I can say or do that will remove a superstition from anybody's mind. They have to do it themselves. If they are a truth seeker, they will. If they prefer fantasy land, they will not. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.

I do believe that with anarchist money, a lot, if not everything else, will eventually fall into place. I've believe for a long time that eventually we will live in the anarchist world we all want, but most people won't even know it or care. The state will not topple from a big revolution, it will simply fade away into irrelevancy.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

I lose interest often.  I don't bother with the day to day stuff.  When I see posts here about something that just happened, it tends to be about people I don't know or care about.  Things are just going on as they always have and will. 

I have left this site a few times for weeks/months.  It is easy to get bored or burn out. 

The downside of a site like this one is that without the day to day stuff, content stalls.  How many different ways can we really all say that the gov is not the solution? 

It is important to have content like this site out there for people to see though. 

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

Just wait until the election's over. I've been growing bored of LRC over the past few months because they still constantly post about the Paul campaign. While I think Ron's a great guy, it's pointless to dwindle on his dead on arrival campaign, in my opinion.

After the election, whether Barry or Mittens wins, they'll start generating better content. Until then, you'll just have to take the lead on the interesting content, my friend!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
r3VOLutionRefugee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

Regardless of how the movies turned out, the Matrix is the best metaphor ever.  One aspect of that is the fact that you cannot unplug someone else's mind.  They have to do it themselves.

In any case, I have also become an occasional gawker of the Daily Paul to keep my finger the pulse there, and will probably continue to do so.  I think things are getting boring because phase one of the liberty movement is coming to a close, and phase two will hopefully pick up soon.  I think phase one was the internet Ron Paul / libertarian bonanza that gave us unprecedented numbers.  It was exciting, fun, fast, and sexy.  

But now phase two starts (already has for some), and the only logical next step is to start physically moving and concentrating our numbers to build libertarian communities.  It slower, less sexy, more real (and therefore far more scary for people, to the point most won't do it) and less revolution, fireworks, excitement and emotionalism.

You've already done this with NH, so I'm preaching to the choir.  I'm glad I found out about the Dollar Vigilante guys (through this site btw), and as a result I'm probably going to be expatriating within the next 6 months or so.  I really enjoy reading about this free world that exists outside the US tax farm.  So content like that keeps me interested.  I would love to read more about seasteading, but that needs to get off the ground before there is much to talk about.

So I guess content that would keep me interested would be steasteading, the Free State Project, and ex-patriot libertarian communities, or descriptions of life at potential sites.  Very few people doing it though, so I imagine content won't pick up for awhile.  

Oh, and although I haven't gotten into it yet, I agree that Bitcoin is exciting, along with anything similar that involves economic warfare against the state.

By the way, what is LRC?  Lew Rockwell?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »

Yup

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »

Yes.

I hope you're right. It's what I based this website on, that after the campaign a huge number of Paul supporters would turn anarchist.

I'm so fucking bored with the Ron Paul campaign and politics that I could scream. Disobedience, civil or otherwise, agorism and anarchism are still fascinating to me. I would really like to see all of the creativity of the Ron Paul campaign turn into creative anarchist action. That would keep my interest.

At the moment I'm bored to tears.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

I'm so fucking bored with the Ron Paul campaign and politics that I could scream. Disobedience, civil or otherwise, agorism and anarchism are still fascinating to me. I would really like to see all of the creativity of the Ron Paul campaign turn into creative anarchist action. That would keep my interest.

Couldn't agree with  you more. I'm glad lots of people are supporting the guy, but their support is kind of depressing. They had so much faith in the guy, and he never had a shot.

I also can't stand being in Maine and all the BS about the maine GOP wanting the Paul delegates to give up 10 of the 21 seats for the convention. Every time I'm on break at work I look through the paper and there's at least an article a days whining about it.

SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »

I have the DailyPaul liked on my Facebook page, and there are some good articles listed from time to time. I find LRC much more interesting, but I agree that many of the points posted on that site are constantly rehashed. I would like to start listening to the interviews that Lew does.

As for this site, I doubt I'll ever get bored of it. The community here is just too interesting and smart, and I can honestly say that I've made a lot of new friends.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:43 PM »

Once you've been an anarchist for a while, and you've heard all the arguments, and you've BEEN IN all the arguments, it's not as exciting anymore. I'm still as anarchist as ever, but it's not as new and thrilling as it was a couple of years ago. I'd like to get to the point where I have more resources before I make a serious commitment to activism. In the meantime, my favorite part of anarchism is talking to new people with open minds. I like thinking about where they were, and how their past experiences shape their political views, and what will be hardest for them to overcome. I know, it's very lame. I don't visit many libertarian sites anymore. None of the following: LRC, DP, C4SS, Mises. I check in here and at ASC once in a while, but that's about it. In real life, I'm willing to talk to people about Bitcoin, but I never talk about political or apolitical views (especially not anarchism) with people other than a couple of my closest friends and family. One other thing I am willing to do is explain why any specific government plan won't work, but I always do it in a way so that people can't draw any conclusions about me politically.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »

Thrilling? Exciting? Only so long as it's new.

What causes me to lose my excitement is being faced with the same tired, old, unsupported, illogical, and just plain STUPID, arguments in favor of Authority.

Just as an example, "We need bloated, destructively expensive bureaucracy forced on everyone at gunpoint, or there wouldn't be any roads."

helio

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »

Just be patient.  Focus your energies on personal projects and improvements and wait for opportunities to arise.  Im getting married in Oct so that and my job has 90% of my attention but my personal project lately has been a coworker.  He revealed himself as a hardcore progressive probably the second day I was here.  After I gained his professional and then personal respect, we began chatting about history, foreign cultures, and beer which we both love.  I finally told him im kind of a libertarian after three months.  Whenever I can jab at republicans to him I do because it builds shared experience.  Ive never argued with him and just let his statist words flow through me like pebbles thrown into a lake.

One day, i'm confident that my effort will bear fruit with him and he will challenge his own faith.  But till then, suffer what you must so you can reach others. 

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
Hanzo

Deprived Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »

I feel the same.

I've been anarchist (more or less) for 2 years now. At first, I was checking Mises, LRC, anti-state.com everyday.

Mises is the same, got good articles, but there is only so much I need to know.

Just about every LewRockwell.com article these days is ron paul worship, alarmist, telling you to buy mark sisson's stuff, telling you to buy gold... basically boring. Haven't check there in a few months.

And now I usually lurk this forum, rarely posting.

I don't feel there is much I can do for the anarchist movement at this point, or the near future (next 10 years).

I'm just trying to survive.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:56:34 PM by Hanzo » Logged

What if it was a gift?
acft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

I think the general loss of interest is due to the lack of real and tangible solutions being offered to those who have their eyes open.

"But now phase two starts (already has for some), and the only logical next step is to start physically moving and concentrating our numbers to build libertarian communities.  It slower, less sexy, more real (and therefore far more scary for people, to the point most won't do it) and less revolution, fireworks, excitement and emotionalism."

Indeed. There is an article about a method that is similar that I endorse. http://www.ancapfreethinker.info/?p=88
First, I think the people who have the goal of freeing themselves vs. freeing the world can actually succeed. Second, I think the main goal of any small community should be to network and accumulate power. Unless we are empowered it is pointless.
thirdly, I think it is important that everyone is on the same page ideologically before anything is embarked on.

I think it could be as simple as founding a corporation, which could literally be done tomorrow, then having a virtual meeting once all the initial shareholders are in place, then pooling money and investing in real estate, businesses, etc.
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence."

-Mark Mason

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

Feeling like there's no progress? Then make a change for yourself.

Move to New Hampshire.   Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: