Daily Anarchist Forum
December 06, 2022, 09:54:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism  (Read 8491 times)
Tom J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:35:38 AM »

Freedom is freedom to say 2+2=5.
True. But is it freedom for the child, who, upon counting on his fingers and discovering it's actually 4, to be threatened with eternal whipping by demons in lava for saying otherwise? It's debatable. For adults, it's not so bad, because they should know that demons etc don't exist. But children don't know otherwise, so they perceive it as a credible threat against them.

For it to be a lie, the adults teaching it would have to know or believe it's not true.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:46:55 PM by Tom J » Logged
Disengage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »

So in theory if a person initiates a fraud against a child I am ethically justified (and maybe morally compelled?) to intervene.   

Suppose parents teach their kids about Santa Claus for the sole purpose of making them behave during the month of December.      Does that mean you get to scam the parents out of their property now?     Or break down their door to rescue the kids?   

Why is it that people... even anarchists... keep trying so hard to justify interfering with other people?    Why is it that people are SO dead-set opposed to minding their own damn business?

Seriously.   Why.

BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

Why is it that people... even anarchists... keep trying so hard to justify interfering with other people?    Why is it that people are SO dead-set opposed to minding their own damn business?

If you ever figure that out, let me know. 'Cause I ain't got a clue how to convert the polypragmatoi from their love of being eternal busybodies.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
  --  C.S. Lewis
MAM
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

Frankly I just don't care any-more.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: